Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

Reads 1900

By an edhat reader

I have voted in person for decades until this year. I dropped off our mail-in ballots at the county elections office on Calle Real, and I saw them get stamped by a clerk. When I checked on the status of my ballot at the elections website, it was rejected as shown in the photo. It says it’s “curable”, and I am currently working on how to make that happen.

I encourage all of you to submit your mail-in ballots early enough to give yourselves enough time to get problems like this rectified. Vote early and get your ballot fixed so that it can count.

PitMix Oct 22, 2020 11:12 AM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

Signed up with Where's My Ballot California, dropped off my ballot on Sunday, got notification on Weds that everything was fine and will be counted. Whew!

Ahchooo Oct 22, 2020 11:36 AM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

This service is so cool. I see how hard they make it to vote in some states, and I am once again so thankful to live in California.

oceandrew Oct 22, 2020 01:46 PM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

Thank you for the very useful post. I just dropped my ballot in my mailbox for the mailman to pick and never signed up to track it and that was weeks ago. Since then the news has been depressing about the shenanigans already taking place (QAnon postal worker stealing ballots, one party stepping in to collect ballots etc) and this allowed me to login with the county elections website which confirmed my ballot was received and will be counted. Phew.

a-1603400169 Oct 22, 2020 01:56 PM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

Thank you so much for this. My husband and I dropped our ballots at the County Elections office on 10/20 and just confirmed that they will be counted. Didn't know how to check until you posted this.

Lucky 777 Oct 22, 2020 02:24 PM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

A good reminder that if you think an illegible scrawl is an effective signature you might want to reconsider that. Or, fill out a re-registration card with your current signature if it has morphed over the years since your first registration.

SB_93117 Oct 23, 2020 06:25 AM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

I am so curious why we can't just register online and vote online. It would save so much money to taxpayers from having to pay for mailed ballots, and then having to count them plus some of the other expenses that are related to how many either vote in person or do mail-in voting. If I can register for social security, imprint information online based on my social security history, and do nearly every other governmental act online, why can't I also vote online. I will always vote in person now.

RHS Oct 23, 2020 10:07 AM
Make Sure Your Mail Ballot Gets Counted

Vote online is an idea fraught with peril and completely open to hacking and paranoid claims. WE NEED A PAPER TRAIL to be able to retrack elections if needed. Don't you remember when the computerized voting machines in Ohio were hacked and there was no real way to recover the data? Please take the extra few minute it might need to fill out a physical ballot and get it in the mail or registrar's office.