Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident title=

Update by California Highway Patrol
1:19 p.m., October 25, 2017

On October 23, 2017, at approximately 2:45 pm, a suspect armed with a BB handgun shot another motorist while traveling southbound on US-101 near Carrillo Street in San Barbara.  CHP officers later arrested the suspect when he arrived at his residence in Lompoc.

Elises Lugo, age 34, of Oxnard, was driving a Ford van traveling southbound on US-101 near Carrillo Street in Santa Barbara.  As Lugo was driving southbound on US-101, a Nissan Sentra suddenly made an unsafe lane change directly ahead of his van in the #1 lane.  After following the Nissan for a short distance, Lugo moved into the #2 lane.  Lugo began to pass the Nissan when the driver shot him with a BB handgun.  One of Lugo’s passengers captured the incident on video by using his cellular phone.  The Nissan continued traveling southbound on US-101 and Lugo exited freeway.

Lugo sustained a minor injury to the left side of his face as a result of being struck by a BB.  CHP officers responded to investigate the incident and were able to obtain the Nissan’s license plate number from the cellular phone video taken by Lugo’s passenger.  The driver of the Nissan was eventually identified as Erick Morales, age 27 of Lompoc.   CHP officers arrested Morales at his residence in Lompoc on October 23, 2017, at 6:25 pm.  Morales was later booked into the Santa Barbara County Jail for assault with a deadly weapon.  The incident is still under investigation.  Anyone who witnessed or has any information regarding this incident is asked to call the Santa Barbara Area CHP office at (805) 967-1234.

Update by edhat staff
October 24, 2017

An Oxnard man was shot with a pellet gun during a road rage incident in Santa Barbara on Monday.

Roger the Scanner Guy was the first to report the incident stating a suspect in a blue Nissan shot a man in a white van while driving on Highway 101.

KEYT reports the victim was driving a van full of coworkers from a contracting job in Goleta to Santa Barbara around 1:45 when a man in the blue Nissan Sentra pulled out a BB gun covered in a bandana and opened fire. The driver was hit by BB in the face, while others in the van were able to capture video footage of the shooter.

The men pulled into the parking lot behind Sandbar and called 911. California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
2:48 p.m., October 23, 2017

A gunshot victim in a white van, the suspect in a blue Nissan. Initial reports stated the shooting occurred on the freeway, but now says behind 514 State Street in a parking lot. The victim says the gun could have been a BB Gun.

Ducky Oct 26, 2017 09:06 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

I know, 722, I don’t normally like to make fun of people’s appearances, either and that was too easy. But this guy should have at least known himself well enough to NOT carry any sort of weapon in his vehicle. Dummy!

Luvaduck Oct 26, 2017 08:07 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

If everyone got shot for doing something stupid or obvious while driving, there would be no one on the road. I avoid accidents at least twice a week by getting out of someone's path. Hair-trigger rage is an indicator of mental instability. The guy needs to get into a rage-management group and get it out before he does something worse.

420722 Oct 25, 2017 08:50 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Lol ducky I thought the same thing..normally I would not make fun of someone with acne or acne scars but this guy deserve what ever is coming to him. Pos.

Flicka Oct 25, 2017 02:46 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Why did a commenter go off on truck/van drivers when it said the Nissan driver made an unsafe lane change in front of the van? Sounds like it happened with the van in the in the slow lane. When the van changed lanes and passed the car is when the driver was shot.

a-1511266312 Oct 25, 2017 12:23 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

She was probably just late for an appointment or something, and in a hurry. People need to learn time management skills...a lost art indeed.

a-1511266312 Oct 25, 2017 09:17 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

1984 - I think YOU are the one doing it. I've called you out on this before. "Someone" down-votes any comment even remotely disputing or disagreeing with your usually offensive, off-topic comments. These comments that are down-voted by "multiple" people are in no way offensive or objectionable, yet you call them out and "someone" down-votes them to the point of being deleted. I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

a-1511266312 Oct 25, 2017 02:28 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Definitely not okay to be going around shooting bb guns at people, especially on the freeway, but there is a clear pattern of work trucks/vans being some of the most reckless/dangerous/erratic vehicles on the road.

Luvaduck Oct 24, 2017 02:05 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Sometimes I long for the days when "juvenile deliquents" just tipped over outhouses that occasionally had someone in them.

tagdes Oct 24, 2017 11:51 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

It was on the freeway and it was a BB gun, KEYT has the whole story including the van passengers' video of the shooting. The report was taken in the parking lot

a-1511266312 Oct 25, 2017 09:21 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Its all a big conspiracy against you. Mr Anonymous , why dont you come out of hiding to insult people . I know who you are.

a-1511266312 Oct 25, 2017 08:46 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Someone is clearly abusing the down-vote system. How did I get 2 down votes for thanking TADGES for the update? Hmmmm....perhaps by the person who has already demonstrated a penchant for signing on with different user IDs and down voting everyone who disagrees with him/her? If we are going to use a self-censoring system like this whereby anyone can delete another person's comment simply by down-voting it enough times, there really should be some oversight by the staff. It's clear that some person is able to access Edhat with different accounts and cast more than one down-vote per comment.

Flicka Oct 24, 2017 10:17 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Fearmongering to relay scanner reports? Gosh, Roger, most of us really appreciate your reporting, count on it actually. As for the critics, pay no attention to them. Most likely they need to enhance their low self-esteem.

Roger Oct 24, 2017 03:07 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

It was a funny comment no biggie...Looks like Tagdes got some of it too...Some people don't like to hear that Santa Barbara has violence I have had more guns pulled on me in Santa Barbara then anywhere and cops are not counted..T.R. Are you the one they call B.B.? I still laugh.

420722 Oct 24, 2017 08:25 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Well this story made it to TV news so I guess it was important to report. I sure want to know if someone is out there shooting at drivers. Does that make me scared? No. To all of you that have a problem with Rogers post, it’s simple, DON’T read them and save your self from getting all worked up. Thank you roger!!!!

a-1511266312 Oct 24, 2017 11:43 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

I would sure want to know if someone is driving around shooting at people. Or if in the updated scenario, that someone has been shot downtown so that I can stay the hell away.

a-1511266312 Oct 24, 2017 10:23 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

MOUNTART - are you a gun owner? Gun nuts get extremely defensive any time one of their beloved toys does exactly what it is designed and marketed to do....kill or maim. If this had nothing to do with "guns" I'm sure you would not be calling it out for "fear mongering."

Roger Oct 24, 2017 08:19 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha, Fear mongering Ha,ha,ha,ha....Were you scared? I report things as I hear them and I really don't care what you think, I had to comment because your comment is funny. Have a nice day.

a-1511266312 Oct 26, 2017 06:31 AM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Many years ago my friend's dad was shot in the stomach and died, over on Castillo st near Canon Perdido and when my mom was growing up here she said that there were shootings on the eastside almost every weekend. I think it's safer now, but we hear about so much more with social media

a-1511266312 Oct 26, 2017 06:31 AM

Roger Oct 23, 2017 05:05 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

History and the bodies on the beach I wasn't here but the Mansons were though no one knows who murdered those folks...2 Dead another attacked Butterfly beach...3 Dead Beach below the University let us not forget Thor and Malcom and more recently The Post Office shootings, and Elliott Roger. Those mass shootings make it a bigger town but Santa Barbara has always had violence.

tagdes Oct 23, 2017 04:58 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Yep like in the '70s when a Police detective was shot to death in an armed robbery and the mid '70s when policeman was shot during a Jordanos grocery robbery 2 blocks from our house in San Roque and died later from complications of being shot. Of course burning a bank was clear out in IV , not SB proper but my co-workers had to drive in sheriffs in Co. dump trucks ( no Bearcats back then ). Also cops murdered here in the '20s '30s and '40s....none since...really don't miss all that. Just get rid off the gang bangers.

Roger Oct 23, 2017 04:05 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

Turns out he got shot behind 514 State street behind a bar hmmmm...I guess he was confused I heard someone say it happened on the freeway so I posted that but it did not happen on the freeway...I stand corrected.

Roger Oct 23, 2017 03:53 PM
Lompoc Man Arrested in Road Rage Incident

He thought he got hit with a real bullet I don't know what it feels like to get hit by a .22 but I have been hit with pellets and they hurt. I hope they catch the jerk that did it....I remember when Santa Barbara was a smaller town and there were shootings then too.