Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade title=

By the edhat staff

Several readers of edhat sent us the below video that was posted on Instagram. The video was posted this week by local DJ Ian Soleimani in front of the Boathouse Restaurant at Hendry's Beach.

The video shows a local woman arguing with an employee of the Boathouse at its entrance near the walkway to the public beach, seemingly over an unpaid bill. Soleimani starts filming as the interaction gets more heated. The woman then turns to him and begins a slew of racist rants.

At the time of publication, the video received nearly 20,000 views and 450 comments. With permission from the video's owner, the video is provided in full below:

sbrobert May 18, 2022 11:44 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Context, please? The race thing was utterly out of line. Good for him for staying cool and recording it and maybe keeping things from getting worse.

I am still curious what was the woman's disagreement with the restaurant? Does anyone know what came before?

sbrobert May 18, 2022 01:27 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Context is very helpful. Huge thanks GENERALTREE for that link to the full story. I am so grateful that we have honest, decent, caring and generous people like Ian Soleimani in our community. I wish there was some way to convey our support to him to let him know how much we appreciate him.

a-1652901208 May 18, 2022 12:13 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

@Robert, the context is she didn't pay her bill and the restaurant said pay or we'll keep your ID. She didn't like them keeping her ID and starting saying crazy unhinged stuff, raising her voice in public. A guy walking up saw the interaction and started filming, presumably as evidence if the restauranteur is harmed or there's some frivolous lawsuit.

dukemunson May 17, 2022 08:11 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

GT - it’s interesting (and illustrative) that you bring Lazano into this. Since she’s a PE teacher and was willing to be fired because she had gotten Covid and didn’t want the vaccine she’s somehow racist (or at least racists vote for her)? Is it because she’s a woman that has a different political leaning than you that you’ve railed so hard against her, or..what?

Bene May 17, 2022 05:47 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

There are no white knights for her. NO ONE could truly be on her side, got it? It is disingenuous of you to use this as a weopan against others who may disagree about tactics of dealing with people. People who are discussing this who are not wanting to call for a public hanging and getting out the dogs and torches to torch the vampire, are not on her side. If they are like me, they are apalled at the potential harm to OTHER people who may be innocent from people hoping for internet fame filming and inflaming. I personally know of a domestic violence victim who was screaming at her abuser and people thought she was the bad one. THere is potential for abuse with this phenomenon.

sacjon May 17, 2022 03:51 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

GT - you're likely correct. Solo day drinking at the Boathouse doesn't seem like a tourist or lower income local. Either way, blaming mental illness for everything from racism to gun violence is beginning to trend among our conservative friends. Easy to blame something over which you have no control! But, let's not go down that rabbit hole here. I hope I don't regret bringing it up!

GeneralTree May 17, 2022 03:15 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I see some saying "Let's leave this well dressed mentally ill person alone - she's having a bad day" in spite of her racists remarks. Had this been a homeless mentally ill person - the same people would have had an entirely different perception.

EastBeach May 17, 2022 08:40 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

As she leaves, belligerent lady's last words to Ian are "... you saved her life ...". That is intent revealed and exactly why it was OK for Ian to be passively recording. I would have done the same to protect a co-worker.

Bene May 17, 2022 05:57 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

EastBeach, I detest this woman and her actions. But to be honest and to be moral I refuse to resort to lies just to prove a point or to do a "pile on" against an evildoer. In her case or anyone else's. Most sixth graders even could figure out she was being sarcastic when saying he saved her life. She was clearly making a dig at his motives and lack of need for him to be filming.

yacht rocked May 16, 2022 08:04 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Don't treat them with kindness. People like her see that as weakness because she's damaged goods. I think the Boathouse staff were more than understanding at first, but she was off in her world of grievance and far far away from feeling any personal responsibility for the situation she found herself in. The last thing she was going to feel was sheepishness. She thinks everyone else are sheep!

Bene May 16, 2022 06:49 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I think the fact that this woman later in the recording went racist, has blinded many many commenters to the deeper issue here---she was being recorded BEFORE she made the racist crap. So what kind of society are we becoming that every argument between people where we don't know the background gets recorded and thus aggravated? So many times domestic violence victims, for example, appear to be the "bad guy" from a passerby who doesn't know the background because the victim is acting loud and upset. In saying this I shouldn't have to point this out, but the way people are so quick to attack, I will disclaim that of COURSE I'm not calling this woman the victim, I'm just using an example of a general principle. People used to go to public hangings and bring a picnic lunch to enjoy the show. Not saying the person being hanged wasn't a criminal, but it makes me physically ill to see glee when wrongdoers are punished. We should feel sadness that a fellow human has fallen so far, not superiority and gloating and glee. Some psychological tests indicate many prison guards are on the same aggression scale as the prisoners. Those who condemn with glee are in a way no better than the criminal. It's all ugly. If someone is a murderer or racist, don't let that be an excuse to bring out your ugly. BTW, I myself have seen ugly behavior and reacted with self righteousness---that was easy. But then with supreme effort tried instead to be kind to the person. So hard! But in several cases kindness stopped the tirade and made the person sheepish and sorry. So maybe they turned it around in future? I don't know, but I hope so. In any event, I am positive that attacking and shaming them would have only made them far worse in the future. So what does that accomplish to make less hate and anger in the world?

yin yang May 17, 2022 06:27 PM

Bene at 5:41:

You say: "Filming someone, especially if they are in a very humiliating moment, is most certainly shaming and incendiary. It's likely that you know better and would feel ashamed yourself if someone filmed you when you were having an argument. If you are being honest and truly cannot understand this and would not feel ashamed yourself, you are not like most people, and I can't help you with any further words. "

I say, as a minority, indeed, I cannot imagine and have never said anything that I am or ever was ashamed of!

Bene May 17, 2022 06:17 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

YinYang, you clearly are a person who sees the bigger picture and strives for good.
Thank you for pointing out that there are powers stronger than us and a universe bigger than us. This is comforting and puts things in perspective.

Bene May 17, 2022 05:50 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Do you really think some of the things you say, or just reaching for anything to use to make your points? Let's get real here. She was sooooooo clearly being sarcastic!!! OBVIOUSLY, she was saying that to scorn the idea that he needed to be filming her. SHeesh!

sacjon May 17, 2022 05:49 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

"BTW, do you think anyone who witnessed that brave African American serviceman who gave his life to jump in the river and save a drowning immigrant could remain a racist?" - What? I don't know what you're even talking about anymore.....

Bene May 17, 2022 05:41 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Filming someone, especially if they are in a very humiliating moment, is most certainly shaming and incendiary. It's likely that you know better and would feel ashamed yourself if someone filmed you when you were having an argument. If you are being honest and truly cannot understand this and would not feel ashamed yourself, you are not like most people, and I can't help you with any further words. But can you truly say you are making it a better world and putting less hate into the world by having someon e who thinks badly of people of color now be even more angry at them because she thinks one filmed her for hoping for viral internet fame at her expense? Then she can go back and spread some more hate among her little racist group whatever they are and set off some more of them as well. She probably wouldn't be violent herself, but putting more hate out sets off chain reactions. Or, another scenario, what if the filmer instead had seen two people arguing and tried to actually calm the situation rather than throw grease on the fire. Pretty sure its even hard for a racist to call someone names who is being nice, and even harder still for her then to carry a race grudge. If the filmer were white, she also would become more not less hateful and spread more hate into the world. BTW, do you think anyone who witnessed that brave African American serviceman who gave his life to jump in the river and save a drowning immigrant could remain a racist? That is why integration in schools was such a good idea. It is hard to hate anyone who you actually know or know in a positive light.

yin yang May 17, 2022 05:39 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Oops, I sounded all kinds of woo woo --NOT what I meant!
Read American history -- I am in no way conversant, I read more editorially, like Jill Lepore. The country has been here before and will come out of it -- maybe.

Bene, I appreciate you and your mindset. I strive for what you value.
Sacjon, online time is destructive, even when you think you're doing good. :-)
I wish us all well...

yin yang May 17, 2022 05:20 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Bene 6:49, I get what you're saying. I've struggled with this. But come out on the side, generally, of exposing nasty people.

Again, I get it. We're past the point of no return. Not sure how it will all come out, but read history, American and otherwise.

We've been at terrible points before. The pendulum is always swinging. I detest where we are at, but may not be alive to see it swing back.

We're just homonoids on this planet. There are powers stronger than us, and a universe bigger than us. Best to all. (Hubris will get us.)

GeneralTree May 17, 2022 03:16 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Bene defending racist rants from the well-dressed, white, mentally ill lady - I don't care what kind of day she was having - I don't care that someone was engaging in the constitutionally protected activity of filming in public. You are defending her behavior.

sacjon May 17, 2022 01:24 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

BENE - "attacking and shaming them would have only made them far worse in the future" - where was this woman attacked or shamed? The guy filming kept calm and quiet as he filmed her making threats of violence and racist comments toward him. The employee she was yelling at just stood there calmly absorbing her viciousness. So again, who was attacking her? No one was doing anything other than observing and allowing her to threaten violence and spew racism.

The act of filming a loud and angry argument is not "attacking" or shaming. It's documenting evidence in case something worse happens. Who posts videos of arguments that are quietly resolved without threats of violence or racism? No one, that's who. Similarly, had she not threatened violence and displayed her vile racism, this video never would have been posted.

shoreline May 17, 2022 12:57 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I hear your argument that she was not racist until she was being filmed but your missing the point that the reason she was being filmed was that she was being entirely disrespectful and acting erratically. Filming her did not make her spontaneously racist. She just put her true colors on grand display.

shoreline May 17, 2022 12:49 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Embarrassed beyond belief that she would shame herself and everyone who knows and is associated with her so senselessly.
And if I'm being honest, embarrassed that she brought such negative attention to a community of people that I love and am proud of, on the whole. As a community of caring individuals, we can't let her define us.

sacjon May 17, 2022 10:05 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

BENE - You're assuming everything and ignoring actual facts. Another, very important, point you ignored - she mentioned, at least once, that she would have been "violent" (see 1:13 in the video) had the young man not been filming and then told him at the end he "saved [the employee's] life" by being there.

Still think he was in the wrong for documenting this and sharing it?

Bene May 17, 2022 07:12 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

sacjon, your supposition that we do not know if she was being racist before the filming commenced, is one of the most illogical things I have ever heard. Her argument was about a restaurant bill and her argument was with a blonde lady. I think it's clear that her racist remarks were directed at the filmer not the blonde lady. Therefore that clearly proves that the racist remarks only began when he got involved and started filming. Of course that does not excuse the racist remarks. But My original point had nothing to do with her racism, but to do with the general concept of filming people when it's not clear they are committing or will commit a crime. The filmer could not have known she was going to go racist at the point he started filming. You ask how do I know this? My point above and also just watch the video and you'll see that the video begins with her just arguing about a restaurant bill until she gets mad that he's filming her. As for your repeated jabs at me that I would dare feel sorry for a racist, I'm not particularly feeling sorry for her as much as I am standing up for the general concept of not running around filming everything that people do. But now that you mention it, I probably should feel sorry for her because I feel sorry for murderers too. I feel sorry for anybody who has lost their way and is not living according to the highest good of society and their own soul. And in my experience, if you want to change somebody's wrong thinking, kindness works better than self-righteous gloating and scolding.

Pages