Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

Source: California Highway Patrol (CHP)

Vehicle 1
Driver: Daniel Ramirez, 80, of Lompoc, CA driving a 2015 Honda Accord

Vehicle 2
Driver: Kaylyn Guerrero, 22, of Lancaster, CA driving a 2005 Nissan Sentra
Passenger: Mia Del Rio, 21, of Stockton, CA

Vehicle 3
Driver: David Hartmann, 79, of Lompoc, CA driving a 2018 Honda Pilot

On March 6, 2019, at approximately 11:10 P.M., a minor injury traffic collision occurred on US-101 northbound just south of Pueblo Street.  Mr. Ramirez was driving a 2015 Honda Accord wrong way within the number 1 lane on US-101 northbound.  He was traveling southbound in the northbound lane of US-101 near Mission Street at approximately 35 MPH.  Ms. Guerrero was driving a 2005 Nissan Sentra northbound within the number 1 lane of US-101.  Mr. Hartmann was driving a 2018 Honda Pilot behind the Sentra.  A head-on collision occurred between the 2015 Honda Accord and the 2005 Nissan Sentra. Mr. Hartmann was unable to avoid a collision with the 2005 Nissan Sentra.  Mr. Ramirez was transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital by AMR ambulance service where he was treated for minor injuries.  The driver and passenger of the 2005 Nissan Sentra were transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital where they were treated for minor injuries.  The driver of the 2018 Honda Pilot did not sustain any injuries as a result of the collision and was released from the collision scene.

The number 1 and 2 lanes of US-101 northbound were closed for approximately 1 hour as a result of the collision.  The traffic at that time was light and the lane closures had little impact on the flow of traffic.  Alcohol and drugs were determined not to be a factor in the collision.  The collision remains under investigation at this time.

Emmenanthe Mar 15, 2019 08:13 AM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

I take note of drivers who impede traffic going beneath 101 at Carrillo, a route I use frequently. Most of them are clearly under 40, and many have their attention obviously directed elsewhere.

d8vanilla Mar 13, 2019 04:01 PM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

Inadequate or not enough good signage. ..... ********************************* Going East on Carrillo, before the underpass, I noticed they put a "No Right Turn" sign really close to the Southbound on-ramp, which is a right hand turn !!! Should be further down, close to the NB exit.

a-1558850069 Mar 13, 2019 01:48 PM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

He probably got on the wrong way at pueblo because turning left is just like another road and with so many dr offices right there I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. Glad nobody was seriously hurt or killed!

a-1558850069 Mar 13, 2019 01:32 PM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

Driving the wrong way on a freeway, save for as a result of medical emergencies, should be a license ban for life. I don't care if you're 20 or 80.

Lucky 777 Mar 13, 2019 12:38 PM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

Last week, the day before this accident I was driving East on Mission Street under the freeway at noon and the car in front of me politely put on their turn signal and then turned right, up onto the northbound offramp as I honked my horn and stared in disbelief. Traffic was pushing me on, so the last I saw was the small silver sedan cruising up the offramp, and one car pulling over to avoid a head on right there. It was so awful that after I got to work I had to sit and tremble for quite a while, the adrenalin rush of actually seeing what we only read about. I couldn't see the driver, so no analysis or blame on why the heck they did it.

Factotum Mar 13, 2019 11:38 AM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

Most of the spate of wrong-way drivers have not been elderly, but coincided with the opening of pot shops - out of towners impaired for various reasons and not knowing local roads and highways. Trust but verify the common denominator when it comes to these very troubling wrong-way drivers.

Bug Girl Mar 13, 2019 11:22 AM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I think that yearly assessment of driving capabilities is warranted to renew driver's licenses for elderly drivers. Right around 70, I think. There would be a lot more elders requiring alternative transportation, but maybe we could have some Uber-esque services with elderly people in mind to fill in for self-transport. I'm happy to hear all involved in this accident are going to be okay and that there were no serious injuries.

SantaBarbaraObserver Mar 13, 2019 11:42 AM
Investigation Continues for Wrong Way Driver

It definitely wont be popular on Edhat but you're 100% correct. Ability is far more important than anything else on the road. Far too many elderly simply do not have the vision, agility, ability or responses to drive safely. Far too often they cause accidents and put people in harms way. With the inevitable launch of autonomous vehicles, those of us who are younger will never have to face the decision or restriction. But for today's elderly, there really needs to be bi-annual ability tests for anyone and everyone over the age of 70. Or if you prefer; how about a checkpoint, just like DUI but to remove those who are simply unable to safely navigate the roads? Both can fall under the premise of public safety and of course the old, driving is a privilege argument. So they're not intrusive or illegal... Right?