By Anna Marie Gott

Santa Barbara has a growing homeless problem of that there IS no doubt. Tourists, downtown business people and residents have all complained about the issue which continues to grow in both size and scope. The real question is how does the City address the issue and is "springing" a homeless trailer park on residents without notice the right way to conduct business?  This is a 3 year experiment that includes 40 trailers being parked adjacent to a neighborhood to house 40 hardcore homeless individuals and nearby residents of the proposed location were not consulted. This left their possible concerns intentionally disregarded and unaddressed while the City pushed ahead with a Grant Funding Application that would place a homeless trailer camp in their neighborhood for 3 years.

Noticing a simple Grant Funding Application on the City Council's Agenda rather than a Grant Funding Application that includes a 40 unit Homeless Trailer Park at Castillo and Carrillo seems designed to bury the information to ensure that residents won't voice their opinions. The Staff report even failed to mention anything about the homeless trailer camp or how long it would be in operation. It simply mentioned "Development of Bridge Housings" which is as clear as mud. The fact of the matter is that the City is planing to house 40 hardened mentally ill and addicted homeless individuals on rotating basis for 3 years adjacent to a residential neighborhood and they decided to limit the information provided to the public and leave neighbors out of the decision making process.

I believe that we make the best decisions when we have the most information and there IS a healthy dialog. I also  believe that when the City fails to notify and allow comments that it perpetuates the belief that many residents have that the City Staff and Council do not care what they think nor do they care to listen.

The City needs input from residents before the grant application is turned in and residents need to be apart of the conversation and the decision making process. But with a due date of 11/16 to apply for the grant the ONLY opportunity residents seem to have is on Tuesday (11/13/18) at City Council UNLESS residents demand a Special Emergency Meeting which is an option residents can advocate for.

If you are concerned about this plan and the lack of dialog or notice given to residents most affected I urge you to attend the meeting or send an email to the City Council on this topic.  If they don't hear from you the location won't be changed, a Special Emergency Meeting won't be had and the way the City notices things like this won't change. So, I urge you to attend the meeting or write a email expressing your thoughts.

City Council Meeting:
      735 Anacapa, 2nd Fl
      Tuesday @2:00PM

Email Comments/Concerns:

Read the City's Plan:
      https://tinyurl.com/SBHomelessTrailerCamp - Staff PowerPoint

Do you have an opinion on something local? Share it with us at ed@edhat.com. The views and opinions expressed in Op-Ed articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of edhat.

yacht rocked Nov 16, 2018 06:27 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Taxpayers are subsidizing the new commuter trains between Goleta/SB and points south that enable people who can't afford SB to live more affordably. Trains are a nice way to catch up on reading, laptop work, studying, or napping. Cheers.

yacht rocked Nov 15, 2018 07:44 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Fitness1 - Cool GOVERNMENT job! ;-) I'd like to see more affordable housing, but build it where the living is inexpensive...Lancaster, Taft, Bakersfield, Maricopa, hell, even Crows Landing (you can google it). Why do we need to provide affordable housing in one of the most expensive places (due to desirability) in the Country?

Lina24 Nov 17, 2018 12:23 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

The housing should at least be worth what it costs. I mean c'mon, a 3 bedroom ranch built in the 70's for a million? Cruddy little studio apartments for 1500?! Location is one thing, but geez, other expensive communities at least have quality of housing that justifies their price tags - like Brentwood, Beverly Hills, the once awesome Malibu. Most Santa Barbara properties are only fit to be classified as affordable housing for working class people. The location here only justifies a 20% higher cost of living than less desirable inland locations.

Fitness1 Nov 16, 2018 08:45 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Yacht Rocked: not a government job at all...worked as a waitress for the concession company that runs the lodge and other facilities.These are private companies that contract with the Park Service to provide services such as lodging, restaurants, etc. Only government jobs within the Parks are park rangers, and they normally have housing provided. I had to PAY for my camping spot...lol. And I NEVER said the government should supply housing for anyone, anywhere.

LocalinSB Nov 16, 2018 08:20 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

The City needs a plan. It has to stop catering to bars, restaurants and retail. Tgoes jobs can't support living with n Santa Barbara. We allow too may service sector jobs so it is not surprising that people struggle. It's got to stop.

x01660 Nov 15, 2018 02:21 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

For all of those people talking about "grit", let me break it down for you; I work 70 hours a week. I get paid $13/hr for 30 hours, $16/hr for 40 hours. So $390 + $640= $1,030 a week, GROSS. Multiply that by (in my case, because of max 401k withdrawings) 82%, and you get about $840 a week take home. Multiply by 4, you get $3,378/mo take home cash. So I pay $1500/mo for an apartment with all the utilites, internet, etc. Leaves what? $1878/mo. $300 for food (not a lot), $300 for vehicle stuff (work at night and across town, so public transport wont work, and bike isn't quick enough), $200 for entertainment (netflix, amazon, eating out). Ok so that's how much left? about $900/mo. This doesn't take into acount any incidentals, nor credit card/student loan debt (I don't have any), emergencies, etc. So how exactly am I supposed to save for the future and invest with $900/mo, IF I'm lucky and nothing comes up? THAT's reality, folks. And guess what? Good luck finding a nice place for under $1500 a month. So when I decide to sleep in a car so that I can save my mental health and not be super stressed and living paycheck to paycheck, maybe this breakdown will help put things in perspective for you. And I'm one of the lucky ones makes at least an ok amount of money. Now imagine the service worker working two or 3 part time, minimum wage jobs. think they get benefits? What happens if they have to go to the doctor? Its REAL out there, folks. And ALL of us are one more financial or natural disaster from being in the same spot. empathy and compassion. Goes a LONG way.

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 04:16 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

X01660 - No, I want you to articulate what "argument" you think we are deviating from. You don't really seem to understand what "ad hominem" means, either. You seem to keep repeating that term in a way you think discredits what others have to say about your situation. YOU put your living situation on display here, YOU chose your way of life, YOU think there should be "support for working homeless," such as yourself. We have simply disagreed with some of your positions. An opposing view point, by itself, is NOT an "ad hominem" statement. Insinuating that we are uneducated or that somehow our opinions are "illogical" by saying things like "this is logic 101" on the other hand, does amount to an ad hominem attack. Do you see the difference?

Fitness1 Nov 15, 2018 04:05 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I lived in a camper for a year while working in a National Park and I used a small camp stove for meals. Library is free for books. Internet comes with my rent. Any music I have was paid for years ago. Sometimes go for years without going to the movies; too expensive and mostly tripe.I do have some old movies on dvd I can watch on my computer. My entertainment comes through spending time outdoors in nature: hiking, running on trails, etc., which is totally free and much more satisfying and relaxing and fulfilling (for me) than man-made 'entertainment'. I feel badly for people who rely on entertainment that has to be fed to them rather than creating it for themselves, I feel my life is richer for not relying on outside influences. Adventure over consumerism is my preference. Not everyone else's of course.

x01660 Nov 15, 2018 04:03 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Go back and read everything I wrote. Then every time you responded with stuff like "but you're not really in the place to be asking", understand that that is the epitome of an ad hominem argumentative fallacy, then go back and actually respond to the argument to which you made the fallacy. I'm not gonna write out the arguments that I've made over multiple posts and days. Reading comprehension is required. No TL;DR's here. ;)

x01660 Nov 15, 2018 03:34 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Wait? Stop saying I'm homeless? I'm literally homeless..... Am I missing something here? I am a person without a permanent residence. That makes me homeless. So what am I supposed to do? You tell me.

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 03:27 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

X01660 - you said "support for the working homeless would be nice." Ok, maybe not demanding it, but you're not really in the place to be asking. Also, stop pretending you're "homeless." You chose this life. You decided against paying to live in a permanent residence. You're "anti-home," not "homeless." There are many sleeping in cars and bushes that truly need help and wouldn't even imagine making what you make and still choosing to live outdoors. Great for you, but just stop trying to pretend you're "homeless."

x01660 Nov 15, 2018 03:13 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Again, I don't "expect" anything. I don't know how many more times I need to make that clear. I'm not entitled to a thing, I don't expect anything. I made the decision to live here, with all the problems. Because the pros are worth it to me. That doesn't preclude me from having an opinion and stating it. Focus on the argument I'm making. Pretend I'm Ty Warner, playing devils advocate. ;)

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 03:09 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

If I had an extra $2400 a month (your estimate rent plus the $900 savings), I sure as heck wouldn't be living in a van and expecting any manner of "support for the working homeless." You make enough money to rent, but you choose to live in a vehicle. Please don't ask the community for any additional support.

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 03:01 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Fitness1, "eating out" seems like a necessary cost associated with living in a van. And please enlighten us how a "zero" budget for entertainment works? Do you not listen to music, watch tv/movies, read books, use the internet (Edhat), etc etc? If not, that's too bad. Entertainment costs should be kept low, sure, but never eliminated. That's how people end up getting cranky and miserable...

x01660 Nov 15, 2018 02:58 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

And I'm not complaining. Especially since I don't have a rent cost. That $200/mo also includes my cell phone as well as website hosting/vpn/tech subscription costs (I'm also a mobile computer tech. Have been for a decade). And as I also said, I'm lucky. I make a decent amount of money, paid my way through school so I don't have debt, no credit cards, no kids, and I'm single. Again, all I was saying is that support for the working homeless would be nice. And we're not looking for a handout. Someone mentioned a lot with a shower and a bathroom where you pay a daily/weekly/monthly fee. I'd pay $300/mo for a lot to park in, no problem! You have pay for services. But forcing people to either pay up or move out is VERY counter to what it means to be a free American. I'm not breaking any laws or hurting anyone. I just don't wanna pay half my income on a box. I will pay 1/5th my income on a safe lot with my own vehicle.

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 02:39 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

X01660 - $900 a month extra (given your expenses were correct) is a goldmine for most people! I'm assuming your single and have no kids, so that $900 a month is not too shabby. It's definitely not something to complain about.

Lina24 Nov 15, 2018 12:07 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Many homeless here in Santa Barbara are not transients. They become homeless because they can't afford the exorbitant rents. Many are hard working people or students (and teachers!) living in their cars because of it. It's time we get to the root of the problem and start taxing the "passive income" of those investors grossly profiteering off the backs of renters and home buyers, and put that money towards creating truly affordable housing in our community. Truly affordable meaning that someone who works full time earning minimum wage can at least pay for a one bedroom apt. with 1/2 of their income. Those greedy investors are the cause of the growing homeless issues in our current society, so they should have to pay to help fix it!!! This tiny home community is a start. Would you rather have them camped out on your sidewalks? Btw, that's not a bad idea for them to do to all those protesting and camping out in front of the council members homes and offices.

Lina24 Nov 16, 2018 02:00 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I agree with you. I was a landlord for many years until recently. I charged reasonable rent and know the costs involved, and was satisfied with the fact that they were paying my mortgage. I just didn't feel right grossly profitting off them as I very well could have given the market. Most of my tenants were good, hardworking people that need family time too, like everyone does, to maintain a healthy family unit - and thus contribute to a healthy society. There are many landlords tho who do grossly profiteer off their tenants - and they are the ones who should be taxed at higher rates based on their profits to prevent their greed from affecting tenants so badly. This would discourage them from raising their rents too high, and if they choose to continue to, then those extra taxes would go towards subsidizing the rents of those who are struggling to keep up, and also towards building affordable homes, be they tiny or not... Whatever it takes to help keep our citizens healthy, functional, and off the streets is the goal. That is what will truly make America great again. Otherwise we'll end up like Mexico or India or other third world countries that have areas with gated mansions surrounded by cardboard shacks.

Fitness1 Nov 15, 2018 02:48 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

FYI: Passive income IS taxed already. Most investors are not 'grossly profiteering'; most of them are barely keeping their own heads above water with insurance, taxes, mortgage on the property, damages caused by tenants, routine maintenance and upgrades, etc. Most take the long view that this is a long-term investment with present amounts of pain for long-term profit. Affordable housing will never be a reality in CA until somebody can build and sell workforce housing for $60-75K per house. I've been there, and my first house (not in CA) was $60K. Small but affordable. Half your income on housing expenses is not sustainable; the formula should be one quarter of your monthly income spent on housing. The math will never add up in CA with such high costs of materials and construction labor, insurance, permits, etc.

Factotum Nov 15, 2018 09:12 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

What liberal Seattle learned when they put a concentrated "homeless" shelter into their downtown: The area around the courthouse is surrounded by a homeless shelter and other social service organizations. Multiple assaults, harassment and drugs have been reported to the police in the area near the courthouse. Jurors have taken to asking judges to release them from jury duty and two jurors have been assaulted over the past two months. “When they come to this courthouse they’re afraid to come in,” said King County Sheriff John Urquhart. “They’re afraid to walk down Third Avenue because what they see.”

Fitness1 Nov 15, 2018 03:01 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Well, Roger, it depends on what one sees. As a petite female, if I see a large man brandishing a knife while muttering to himself and then screaming obscenities to on-one, then I have every right to try and keep myself away from that person for my own safety. I have observed this (more than once, in broad daylight) downtown, and it is very frightening. If I did not have situational awareness based at least partly on what I can see, then I am simply foolish. That's not a judgement, it is discernment.

Roger Nov 15, 2018 09:30 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Says it all right there..."They are afraid because of what they see." Just like all the others they judge others on what they see. Not every homeless, poor, handicapped physically, or mentally ill person is a thug but based on what people see they are none of them are given a chance to prove themselves any different based on what the so called perfectly normal people see...You said it right there.

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 11:33 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

What does "service-resistant" mean? Confrontational? Addicts? Severe mental instability? If this is true, I would think the surrounding residents would have every right to be concerned about this!

VinSB Nov 15, 2018 11:26 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Today's Independent article regarding this project states that it is "an emergency plan to house the most service-resistant homeless people in Santa Barbara." If this is true, then I don't believe that the residents would likely be receptive to services to get their lives back on track.

Factotum Nov 15, 2018 09:14 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

They will probably wonder why vagrants are even coming to an area they can't afford. It is a choice to try and live on the streets of Santa Barbara; not some sort of necessity.

Roger Nov 15, 2018 05:45 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I hope they do get the grant and the little homes are built and people get the help they need it aien't like these yahoos say it aien't gonna be a bunch of crooks in those houses it's going to be people that really want and need help. There are some people in this country that want to do away with the poor and handicapped they have no heart for anyone but their kind and no one else... Of course It would be really friggen boring if we were all the same.

Lina24 Nov 15, 2018 01:19 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Since when does anyone have the right to decide who their neighbors are? This is America people! Freedom to live where you want is everyone's right and part of our liberty, regardless of whether or not they're poor or mentally ill.

monkeyboy Nov 16, 2018 08:52 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Would you drive to Beverly Hills and demand that affordable housing be built in the middle of Rodeo Drive? How about demanding rents match the median income in a location like Honolulu or Manhattan? The fact is, we live in an expensive coastal tourist town and not everyone gets to live here just because they want to.

CoastWatch Nov 15, 2018 01:09 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

ROGER- No trust fund or Mommy and Daddy help- I wasn't drinking and bumming around during my 20's and 30's... Worked my a$$ off and saved enough to buy in Santa Maria- Flipped 3 houses over 10 yrs before I could live in SB where I WORKED and commuted all those years- I am not the only one who did that- Most of my co-workers did the same thing- I call it Grit, you call it whatever you like-

Lina24 Nov 15, 2018 12:03 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Many homeless here in Santa Barbara are not transients. They become homeless because they can't afford the exorbitant rents. Many are hard working people or students living in their cars because of it. It's time we get to the root of the problem and start taxing the "passive income" of those investors grossly profiteering off the backs of renters and home buyers, and put that money towards creating truly affordable housing in our community. Truly affordable meaning that someone who works full time earning minimum wage can at least pay for a one bedroom apt. with 1/2 of their income. Those greedy investors are the cause of the growing homeless issues in our current society, so they should have to pay to help fix it!!! This tiny home community is a start. Would you rather have them camped out on your sidewalks? Btw, that's not a bad idea for them to do to all those protesting and camping out in front of the council members homes and offices.

Roger Nov 15, 2018 11:24 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Which is really funny because none of thy blessed trust fund Nimbys were crying Foal when the Homeless Shelter was installed on the 800 Block of Cacique Grit my Foot...Grit is bought with their trust funds from mommy and daddy...They have no grit of their own or class for that matter..

a-1563850068 Nov 15, 2018 11:11 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

LINA24 - Homeless people living in a city-owned facility like this are not the same as "neighbors." They are transient individuals that the city will pick and place in the area. These aren't home buyers or renters, they are being placed in a parking lot area with many other people by the city. When the city creates something like this without consulting the surrounding existing residents who WILL be impacted by the placement of people in this facility, then yes, the residents (owners and renters alike) have a reason to be upset or concerned.

Lina24 Nov 15, 2018 10:57 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Entitlement? Grit? What does that have to do with it? Perhaps I didn't state it properly. What I mean is, since when does a homebuyer or future resident have to qualify and be approved by their future neighbors before they purchase their home if it's not an hoa? That is basically what these homeowners are demanding of their future neighbors. These homeowners sound more like they're the ones with entitlement issues and lack of grit - and heart! Sorry, but just because you already own a home somewhere does not make you entitled to pick and choose who your new neighbors will be.

Pages