Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

Fire off Highway 101 Southbound near Ortega Hill in Summerland, believed to be a homeless camp fire.

420722 Oct 16, 2017 11:56 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

There are tents and remnants of camps all over the 101...it's really gross thinking about how unsanitary these camps probably are.

a-1566629853 Oct 16, 2017 12:12 PM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

Yeah, not sure that sanitation is the highest priority of folks who don't even have running water.

Flicka Oct 16, 2017 10:19 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

YETTI, The Montecito Fire Department actually does a good job on fire prevention. It's not just "occasionally" but every year in Spring they offer free pickup for brush and such that home owners have cleared. They do go around and warn homeowners about clearing a defensible area around homes. If you drive 192 just what are you looking at? Green trees and green hedges don't need to be ripped out, it's called landscaping and not really as combustible as you make it sound. I am trying to picture any places on 192 that are fire hazards. You do know, I assume, Montecito officially ends at Ladera Lane (2800 blk of E. Valley) and the rest is Carpinteria-Summerland Fire District; they also do a good job of fire prevention.

a-1566629853 Oct 16, 2017 07:15 PM

a-1566629853 Oct 16, 2017 07:15 PM

a-1566629853 Oct 16, 2017 07:16 PM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

I realize what a threat brush/dead plants and trees are; I've lived here all my life. But residents and property owners have the burden of responsibility! sorry if this multiposts; I'm going to refresh page. I see nothing has changed here in the past 2-3 weeks.

a-1566629853 Oct 16, 2017 07:17 PM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

my multi-post was a response to Yetti. So is this. I tried. Now to see if it works.

yetti Oct 16, 2017 11:02 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

Flicka: thanks for the geography and biology lessons.. That is very helpful. Like I stated in my original, I am aware of the free yard waste and clean up days.. BUT, when you drive through the streets of Montecito and see that tall and very thick BROWN canopy coming well within the defensible 100 foot radius, it just reminds me of how quickly wind driven fires, like the Painted Cave fire moves and how poorly prepared Montecito really looks when you get up close.

yetti Oct 16, 2017 09:38 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

It really is amazing when the local authorities choose to ignore hazards like this. Especially during peak fire season including sun-downer winds. Another high risk issue ignored by the fire department is the density of combustibles throughout the neighborhoods of Montecito. There really is very little defensible space around most of the homes and neighborhoods. When we get a good wind driven fire, it will wipe out a lot of homes. I know that they try by offering free wood chipping and disposal to residents occasionally, but to little avail. At what point does the fire department charge the land owner for crews to come in and forcibly trim trees? Next time you drive on 192 through Montecito, just look around and the density of trees and brush on these properties.

tagdes Oct 16, 2017 01:01 PM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

Quit blaming the fire dept. They have responded here numerous times and want it cleaned up. I guess you're unaware that the homeless do not own this property... thus their name... so it would be pretty difficult to call a private company to clean it up and bill the homeless. It's either Caltrans or Union Pacfic ROW and they're not real proactive. Usually takes a fatality or 2 to get their attention.

Roger Oct 16, 2017 09:35 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

Not sure if it's still going Engine 201 was cancelled probably mopping it up. Yep some folks that camp don't care about the land they burn it and trash it.

a-1566629853 Oct 16, 2017 09:28 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

Unfortunately it was just a matter of time before something went badly wrong at this encampment. The amount of wood, canopies, debris and trash is incredible and has been building up for a long time, posing potential danger to the residents and the railroad immediately below. This location has been known about for a long time (John Wiley previously reported it on edhat, along with photos) and nothing has been done about it. As a result, we now have a fire, causing potential danger to human lives, creating a huge amount of work and costing considerably more money than it would have cost had the situation been addressed proactively a long time ago. I hope everyone is safe.

Roger Oct 16, 2017 08:28 AM
Homeless Camp Fire in Summerland

CHP has it listed as a Homeless camp but I heard a deputy say it's possibly a vehicle also heard it was Southbound but it's listed as Northbound.