Holiday Trash & Recycling Guide

Holiday Trash & Recycling Guide title=
Holiday Trash & Recycling Guide
1 Comments
Reads 1254

Source: City of Santa Barbara

Holiday Waste Reduction Tips

According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, the amount of household waste generated across the country between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day is 25% higher than any other time of year. That’s 25% more trash being sent to the landfill and the EPA estimates that 80% of the extra waste could be re-purposed or recycled instead. In the spirit of celebrating more sustainably, we’ve put together a few tips to help you reduce your environmental impact this Holiday Season! 

How-To Guide

Are you Recycling Right?

As consumers of goods and then creators of waste, we are all responsible for knowing what is and isn’t recyclable in our local system. Recycling markets over the last year have changed and those changes directly impact what we can accept and recycle locally.

For instance, paper and plastic containers that previously held food are no longer recyclable in our curbside blue bin.

However, these items make up less than 2% of our blue bin materials by weight and are typically the biggest cause of food and water contamination. The other 98% of recyclable materials are all plastic bottles/jugs, dry paper and cardboard, clean glass, and all metals.

Everything about what is and isn’t recyclable is always up-to-date and available on our website. Find out if you're recycling right: www.SBrecycles.org

Modified Holiday Service & Extra Collection

Residential and Commercial pickups during Dec. 25-27 & Jan. 1-3 will be delayed by one day.

We're making it easy to get rid of all the extra stuff left after the big parties are thrown, meals are eaten, presents are open, and trees are decorated.

More Info and Instructions

This Holiday Season, Don't Clog with FOG

Pouring fats, oils, and grease (FOG) down the drain or garbage disposal creates obstructions in underground pipes and creates serious problems like blockage and sewer overflows. When washed down the sink, FOG can stick to the inside of sewer pipes (both on your property and under the streets). This holiday season, dispose of fats, oils, and grease properly using the tips on this page.

Foam ban in effect Jan. 1, 2019.

The Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Food Container and Product ordinance prohibits certain types of businesses from distributing or selling EPS food and beverage containers in the City of Santa Barbara. Exemptions are included in the ordinance. Read More

Plastic bags go in the trash.

When it comes to film plastics the best strategy is to reduce the amount we consume in our daily lives. Bring your reusable bags to the store; opt to buy unwrapped produce; fill up glass jars or paper bags at the grocery store bulk bins; choose. Read More
Login to add Comments

1 Comments

Toggle Comments (Show)
biguglystick Dec 22, 2019 05:59 PM
Holiday Trash & Recycling Guide

I want to know why we cannot recycle CLEAN washed plastic food containers! It seems AWFUL to throw them away! Why can't we recycle these?

Please Login or Register to comment on this.