Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park title=
Photos courtesy of Santa Barbara City Fire Department

Source: Santa Barbara City Fire Department

Today at approximately 10:56 AM, the Santa Barbara City Police Combined Communications Center was alerted to a child that had fallen from a tree at Elings Park.

The report to responding fire apparatus was that a child had fallen approximately 25 feet from a tree at Elings Park. The patient was located on a trail near the main parking lot.

A Fire Prevention Inspector and an ambulance crew from AMR arrived at the patient and provided an updated location with best access off of Las Positas and Jerry Harwin Parkway. Two fire engine companies arrived and assisted with patient packaging.

It was later determined that the patient had fallen approximately 30 feet to the ground. She struck several large branches as she fell to the ground. Her injuries appeared moderate and she was transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

Photos courtesy of Santa Barbara City Fire Department

millimesa Feb 13, 2021 07:41 AM
Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Couldn't help but laugh at the fact the guy asking why a kid is playing in a cool oak tree identifies himself as "getoffmylawn"

SBSand Feb 13, 2021 08:22 AM
Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Growing up my siblings and I loved climbing trees and were lucky enough to never fall out. Scary thing to fall! A friend of mine fell out of my tree house once, that poor girl was so accident prone, ugh! Lucky she was ok, just bumps and bruises.

SBNatural Feb 13, 2021 09:11 AM
Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Maybe she should sue Virgil Elings, as it was his donation that caused the problem.
But, again, hitting a few limbs on the way down no doubt decreased her terminal velocity.
Heck, I'm 72 and I still climb trees. It remains fun. So long as the branches hold up.

NonBidenary Feb 13, 2021 09:50 AM
Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Only 30 feet? Back in my day we routinely fell 40 or 50 feet from trees, got up and walked away. And you didn’t hear us complaining about it.

AQUAHOLIC Feb 13, 2021 12:05 PM
Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Growing up, we practically lived in the trees/treehouse in our backyard. Suppose we were lucky. What a fabulous tree, I would have climbed that one too when I was your age...so sorry you took a tumble young lady. Heal up and keep climbing.

MountainMan4865 Feb 13, 2021 11:06 PM
Child Falls from Tree at Eling's Park

Wait, was there a picture of the actual tree? I thought trees were a kids natural habitat. I hope she mends well. It's a good thing that she did this now, not when she's 30+... that's when she'll hurt her back by... sleeping in a weird position.