Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road title=

Source: Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating a child-annoying incident that occurred at approximately 2:15 p.m. on December 13, 2018 in the area of N. San Marcos Road near University Drive. An eight-year-old Foothill Elementary School student was walking home alone after being released from school. While walking in the 300 block of N. San Marcos Rd., a female suspect, approximately 30 to 50 years old, approached the girl in a late model, silver-colored 4-door sedan, possibly a Honda or Toyota. The suspect had shoulder length blond hair that was partially shaved in the back, above the neck. The suspect asked the student to get in her car. The student, realizing this was a potentially dangerous situation, immediately ran away. The suspect was last seen turning westbound onto University Dr. from N. San Marcos Rd.

The incident was reported to the Sheriff’s Office yesterday, December 16, 2018 and is under investigation. The Sheriff’s Office has been working closely with the Goleta Union School District regarding this incident. If you have any information that would assist investigators, you are asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at 805-683-2724 or call our Anonymous Tip-Line at 805-681-4171. You can also go to our website at https://www.sbsheriff.org/home/anonymous-tip/.

The Sheriff’s Office encourages parents of young children to reinforce the importance of creating space between themselves and any stranger that may attempt to contact them. Additionally, any suspicious encounter between a young child and any stranger should be immediately reported to law enforcement.

We would also like to take this opportunity to encourage parents to have discussions with their children about how to best protect themselves at home, going to and from school, while they are out and about and on their phones or on the internet. Please take a moment to review the “25 Ways to Make Kids Safer” from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. We recommend printing this document and putting in a place in your house where you are reminded all year long about these important, potentially life-saving tips.

Flicka Dec 18, 2018 02:14 PM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

Fun for people to look at the past through rose colored glasses. About 1949 I was approached by a man offering a ride, ran for my life. In about 1962 a little girl, Ramona, was allowed to walk a few blocks to the new home the family was moving to. She was on Modoc Road or that vicinity and disappeared. To this day no one knows what happened to her. Crime isn't new.

MasterChief Dec 18, 2018 01:57 PM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

Very Sad. Children should be able to feel Safe at School & walking to and from. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE! Never was! Never will be! Parent's be Vigilant. Teach your children well. Explain the difference between Trusting No One,and just being Safe. Stay Calm,Your in SantaBarbara. Still one of the safer places to grow up. Lets work on Keeping it That Way.

Red Creek Dec 18, 2018 12:26 PM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

The little girl was smart and brave to run away, her parents and school must have done a good job of teaching about stranger danger. Many of us grew up in a time in California when there were thousands of folks in SoCal, not millions. Little towns like Lompoc, Santa Barbara, Ventura or Riverside were so small our families knew many people on our street and town, many parents went to the same service clubs, churches, workplaces and adults looked out for kids. With more people, more problems. The times when Crosby Stills Nash & Young wrote "Teach your children well" it was a turning point in society when old norms and alliances started to fall apart as social problems, wars and burgeoning population had a lasting impact on our culture, values, and community.

REX OF SB Dec 18, 2018 11:05 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

When I was in second grade, I'd routinely (unaccompanied) take the bus from my house on the Westside to downtown, and would often go to the Saturday matinee (double feature, 5 cartoons and a serial episode) at the California Theater in the first block of W. Canon Perdido Street. Afterward, I'd saunter up State Street, maybe buy a candy Bar at Pelch's at State & Anapamu, and either walk the rest of the way home or take another bus. I guess I was a free-range kid, as were most of my peers. Life was different in the 1950s. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

a-1558720093 Dec 18, 2018 10:31 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

Not something new, I'm a Vietnam Vet, I don't use drugs!,drink,or smoke! Nor do Alot of my Brother & Sister Viet Nam Era vets! So lets not play the blame game! Funny no one ever mentions WWII Vets, or Korean vets! Howbout those Iraq -Aphganistan vets?Not All Vets come home screwed up. Most had issues B-4 entering the service. Some just fell on hard times after discharge, It was difficult for many to find work. Being a Viet Nam vet had a stigma attached to it. Stupid People @ home called us baby killers! Not true! Most of us recived Humanitarian effort award medals, (Operation Baby Lift,Operation eagle pull,OperationFreaquent wind,ect. As for child stalkers. They were around here in the early sixtys,B-4 your time. My classmate was almost abducted by some creep while walking home from the school bus stop on old San Marcos rd,1962. There has always been preditors! Always will be. Teach your children well. People are there own worst problem. Some more than others. B- Smart,B-Aware,B Safe! Oh and to All of you who met us Viet Nam Vets at the airport .F*#¿ ¥○#!

a-1558720093 Dec 18, 2018 09:02 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

To those bemoaning the "past" as someone close to 50 I clearly remember being taught in school NOT to take rides from strangers, etc. and that was well over 20 years ago. This type of thing has been around for a long time. I remember a man pulling over one day as I was walking home and asking me if I wanted a ride and remembering what I was taught said NO (a friend of mine also declined my parents offering a ride to her one day, that is how much it was drilled into our heads), and to this day I wonder what might have happened if I had taken the ride. So no, this is not something new. Maybe it is here, I grew up on the East Coast where ppl are street smart so I don't know, but nothing new here folks. Predators didn't come around recently.

Cadillackid Dec 18, 2018 08:35 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

I wouldn’t let my kids walk home alone, but some parents don’t have the time to pick up their kids, just sucks that this had to happen, smart kid for running away

Luvaduck Dec 18, 2018 07:33 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

The parents aren't necessarily lazy. Some don't have the opportunity, some come from a time and place where there weren't human predators under every bush and our country wasn't so screwed up. From my vantage point in time, it seems like a lot of this started with Vietnam. We sent gently-raised kids into a situation where they witnessed (& sometimes committed) atrocities & horrors. There wasn't a way out, so they turned to drugs in attempts to keep some sanity or even life, and brought the drug culture back with them.

a-1558720093 Dec 18, 2018 08:43 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

You're blaming this on Vietnam vets???? Gawd, we went from a fear mongering culture to a blaming one, the more absurd the scapegoat the better.

a-1558720093 Dec 18, 2018 06:15 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

When I was a kid I walked home alone from school at 8 years old but I lived one block from the school and it was a very quiet and private Street between the school in my house. I don't think that I would allow my daughter to walk home alone when she's only 8 years old! Obviously at least a few blocks from school if she goes to Foothill school and this afternoon send Marcos Road. Come on parents, don't be lazy, protect your kids and walk with them!

a-1558720093 Dec 19, 2018 08:37 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

It sure is nice having 2 people with incomes raising my kids, it's also a heck of a lot of work and stress! But no need to be snippy about it. We put our kids in afters school programs too, but there are days they walk home together, not because we're "lazy," but because we are at work.

letmego Dec 18, 2018 11:36 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

Lazy? I mean, I don't know about you, but I work until 5 pm. So I don't walk my kids home. If I were at home, and happened to have a napping infant, I can see the benefit of letting my kid walk home. My spouse walked to school, almost a mile, 4x a day (went home for lunch) at age 5. Kindergarten. You have to let your kids be out there on their own sometime. (For my kid, it was 11. But it will depend on the kid.)

a-1558720093 Dec 18, 2018 09:25 AM
Child Annoying Investigation on San Marcos Road

Blaming "lazy" parents? Really? My kids (8 and 12) walk home together because my wife and I both work in order for us to afford our mortgage, student loans, etc. We're hardly "lazy!" Must be nice to not have to work in this town.