Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light title=
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Graham Farrar (Photo: Glass House Farms)

By edhat staff

Santa Barbara County supervisors unanimously approved a cannabis farm project in the Carpinteria Valley during an appeal on Tuesday.

Project applicant Graham Farrar stated cannabis will be planted in a pre-existing greenhouse for his new greenhouse project at 3561 Foothill Road. "We’re only shifting from one flower to another within an existing greenhouse infrastructure," said Farrar.

Neighbor's and Carpinteria residents had appealed Farrar's approval complaining of intrusive odors and environmental reviews.

A neighbor’s appeal of the project application was denied by supervisors who stated Farrar demonstrated full compliance with all applicable county cannabis regulations.

Farrar currently grows cannabis in the Carpinteria-based Glass House Farms and is president of Cannabis Association for Responsible Producers (CARP) Growers. He is also scheduled to open Farmacy, Santa Barbara's first fully-licensed, adult-use cannabis storefront on Saturday, August 24.

The Farmacy SB is located in the former home of The Video Shop on the corner of Mission and De La Vina Street. The location will also offer local delivery via online ordering beginning in September.

For cannabis regulations as a whole, the Santa Barbara County Supervisors changed their cannabis ordinance to require odor-control systems earlier than the current permitting system.

In a 4-1 vote, Supervisors reaffirmed a cap on cannabis cultivation at 1,575 acres throughout the county. This is outside the Carpinteria Valley which is capped at 186 acres. Supervisor Peter Adams opposed this ruling.

a-1568747047 Aug 25, 2019 11:13 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

I make pick up and deliveries at Cate school . Just above the pot farms . Not one kid has ever complained about the smell in fact, it's never even mentioned . Your story is BUNK & a lie .....EGG HEAD .

Flicka Aug 24, 2019 09:56 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

The Ojai dispensaries are handy, but will be nice not to have to make the trek. We were up north recently and went to an amazing dispensary in Modesto. I thought of it as "the Costco of dispensaries". Absolutely huge and had tons of different products, more than I ever could have imagined, and extremely affordable. Price aside, at least we no longer have to worry about the possibility of getting busted.

a-1568747047 Aug 23, 2019 02:21 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

I don't have a problem with people smoking weed. I live nearby and don't have a problem with this shop being a few blocks from me either. I don't have a problem with weed being grown in Carp. In fact, I prefer ANY crop with zero pesticides to those with (avo, etc.). That's a big win. However - the odor control systems are honestly concerning. Apparently they aeresolize essential oils to mask the skunk odor. That sounds like a good idea, "natural" and all... until you dig into the fact that even "natural" things are often very harmful - like essential oils. They can disrupt all kinds of biological systems - endocrine, bacterial, etc. "Natural" does not mean safe. Arsenic is natural, too. Essential oils of any type should not be being dispersed into the community at large - there could potentially be serious health consequences for residents nearby, and wildlife - especially insects and crucial microbes, etc. As much as residents might dislike the skunk odor - and I don't disagree the growers should have to do something about it - the locale should not serve as lab rats for this experiment in massive essential oil dispersal. In my home we only use completely unscented products - even many natural "fragrance free" products like soaps, lotions, detergents, etc. incorporate essential oils with known endocrine disruption qualities like tea tree, lavender, etc. Natural is great, but it doesn't mean it's without any danger.

Lucky 777 Aug 23, 2019 01:58 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

No one else seems to have figured out YET, and surely NOT the people who approved the location, that it is going to cause a traffic nightmare. I drive the intersection every day, and already the work trucks renovating the building have caused a huge problem. But next it will be the patrons of the pot shop. Coming across Mission from the 101, traffic halts to let the people turn left across traffic into the lot. That backs up people into de la Vina as the light changes. Pay attention to it as you drive through, where 2 lanes merge one will need to be dedicated a left turn lane, but still they have to wait for a gap in 101-bound traffic. Another example of the inefficiency of the city street planners. And coincidentally this is in the middle of the street repairs that have ripped up Mission for the past months, repairing CURBS and not a single pothole. We are just another pothole city!

a-1568747047 Aug 24, 2019 10:12 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

You say, " it is going to cause a traffic nightmare " but i say. it will but only at first . Once buyers see the sky high prices traffic will trickle back to how it was before the Pot shop opened .

tagdes Aug 23, 2019 02:16 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Ah yes start complaining about the pot shop and segue into a totally wrong diatribe against a city roadway project. It's been clearly stated here numerous times that Mission will be totally repaved.............so yes....no fixing pot holes and totally grinding them out a month later.

Flicka Aug 23, 2019 11:35 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

SANTABARBARAOBSERVER, You really hit the nail on the head. This all reminds me of when I was a teenager (1950s) and rock 'n roll made it's debut. People (adults, not kids) freaked out. We were listening to "devil music". I sat a minister on TV state that we were "all going to hell in a handbasket." Actually, we thought we were in heaven listening to this new music. I still feel that way!

ZeroHawk Aug 23, 2019 09:25 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

this is great all around. More income and tax $ for SBcity and county. More jobs. More happy people. I'll be down there at the grand opening with the other hundreds of people. Big event for sure. I know KEYT will be there and a few radio stations. Coastal opens soon and they are located next to Ralphs and across from the MTD station. Coastal is supposed to be very high end, like a Tiffany's for weed. Sweet....

sbmh2015 Aug 23, 2019 05:00 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Zerohawk. If Coastal is high end, then I'm going to be very interested in the pricing. I was just in Farmacy and they are charging almost 70% more for the exact same items I've purchased in 2 other shops. And the other shops were located in expensive areas too... Carmel by the Sea and San Francisco. I purchase a tincture and high quality balm for inflammation. The pricing was very similar at the 2 other shops. But Farmacy pricing was outrageous. Ripping people off

Factotum Aug 22, 2019 09:08 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

This area will not thrive, now that it is seeking its lowest common denominator. Its character was created by late philanthropists whose legacy was community enrichment and outreach - arts, museums, culture, lasting aesthetics; not reaching out for the nearest bong.

Pebblehill Aug 22, 2019 08:38 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

I am very happy to hear this. If anyone in the local cannabis community deserves all of this success it is Mr. Farrar. From everything I have witnessed he has gone through all the state and county red tape while diligently following all the rules. He is a great representative of the cannabis community (I am not a part) and he and his partners deserve this!

a-1568747047 Aug 22, 2019 07:57 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Derf's must be very happy about this. Go to the Farmacy, load up on the edibles, then eat five hamburgers and mountains and mountains of their fantastic fries....or fries only will work those munchies down a tad.

a-1568747047 Aug 22, 2019 08:34 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

You 7:57PM you don’t seem to understand the nature of people buying their cannabis. It’s not like we sit and partake in the parking lot.

a-1568747047 Aug 22, 2019 03:39 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Finally! A legal store front in SB, for people like me, suffering from severe pain. Thanks to people who abused pain killers, those of us with true chronic pain diseases, have suffered for a very long time. I could not afford a medical license either.

sbmh2015 Aug 25, 2019 10:45 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

@santabarbaraobserver Someone is asking me a question. Ignore my reply if you don't like it. This store can't be paying more than a store in Carmel by the Sea or San Francisco. There is no reason to charge 70% more than these 2 locations. Tell your friend who owns the place to lower his prices.

SantaBarbaraObserver Aug 25, 2019 09:35 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Jeez, SBMH2015, we get it, you dont like the new place. But do you realize why they have to charge so much? The geniuses in the offices of the city of SB made it as difficult and expensive as possible, that's why. So take your anger down to DLG plaza and have a conversation with the morons who projected six figure tax revenue while doing everything possible to push both business and people away from legal marijuana.

sbmh2015 Aug 25, 2019 08:14 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

A-1566745900 No, a prescription is not needed. Over the counter at a dispensary that carries it. Just stay away from Farmacy. Charging 70% more on every item I compared. Go down to Ventura county

a-1568747047 Aug 25, 2019 08:02 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

SBMH. Thanks for the reply. I may have major surgery this Fall and looking to an alternative to opioids as internal pain can last months . I have checked out P&B's site . The 1:3 sounds interesting over the Cbda/cbd only. Does 1:3 require a prescription ?

sbmh2015 Aug 24, 2019 09:00 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

A-1566705131 I use Papa & Barkley. Higher end product or so I'm told. 1:3 THC: CBD. You can look it up on their website. 15ml. No, I have not used any other brand. My cousin and some friends use this one too. Should only be about $29. Farmacy is also charging $30 more for nighttime teas !! Normally $44-60 . They are charging $90 !! Complete ripoff

a-1568747047 Aug 24, 2019 08:24 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

SBMH. Have you heard of or ever used Pluscbd Oil Full Spectrum Hemp Extract 50 Mg Cbda/cbd Balm, Original ? @ sprouts 1.3 oz $40 ? What brand balm do u use or recommend ? CVS says they cant ship to California . strange. Thx.

a-1568747047 Aug 23, 2019 11:01 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Try, Ojai . There's 4 of them all located within about 4 blocks from each other so you walk to one and check out their prices & walk to another and check out their prices but better yet, buy from your local grower and save 90 % and not deal with these dispensaries which are overpriced but that's not their fault . It's the high rents, rules, regulations, requirements often given by the City so if anything blame the City, not the dispensaries . Their just passing their costs on to you .

sbmh2015 Aug 23, 2019 07:29 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

A-1566613259. Most balms or tinctures at the official dispensary have part thc and part cbd. I buy the lower thc concentrates. Higher cbd. I pay around $30 for a balm that lasts a long time 15ml container. Tinctures are more because they have more THC. Around $50 for a vial 30ml or 1 oz. Tincture is oral. Balm is topically applied. Now these are the prices I paid NOT at Farmacy. The balm at Farmacy is $49 !! Same exact product. If you just want CBD, you can get that at some normal retail stores like CVS and I think Target. Also saw it at sprouts. Dispensaries I bought from included tax in price. Not sure if Farmacy is doing that but probably. Good luck

a-1568747047 Aug 23, 2019 06:10 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Sbmh2015. How much does a 1/4 oz or vile of CBD oil cost on average ? I am interested because I have cronic knee pain and nothing has helped. Thx.

sbmh2015 Aug 23, 2019 05:05 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

A-1566604593...I'm sorry to bring bad news but I was just in Farmacy ...if you can't afford a medical license, I'm worried the pricing at Farmacy will be a shock. They are charging about 70% more than 2 other shops I've been in. Both those shops are in expensive areas of California too... Carmel by the Sea and San Francisco. I was quite shocked at how this shop is totally ripping us off. I'd by the medical license and go to a medical dispensary. It will be less expensive as you avoid some taxes. Or go to dispensary down in Ventura county

ZeroHawk Aug 23, 2019 09:22 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

why is it ok to farm more than one avocado orchard? or more than one citrus orchard? or more than one orchid farm? there is a huge demand thats why.

SantaBarbaraObserver Aug 22, 2019 03:29 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Unfortunately you cannot reverse a lifetime of indoctrination. The path to enlightenment is simply too difficult for these people. So they double down...

a-1568747047 Aug 25, 2019 11:12 AM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

I make do deliveries at Cate school . Just above the pot farms . Not one kid has ever complained about the smell in fact, it's never even mentioned . Your story is BUNK .

Eggs Ackley Aug 24, 2019 06:31 PM
Carpinteria Cannabis Farm Gets Green Light

Yes that makes up for your house smelling like you put a family of skunks in the dryer. At least it's an organically grown stench that gives us headaches and causes children to be unable to study at home.