Reads 1927

By an edhat reader

The City of Goleta will be considering a 33-unit Hollister Village Apartment proposal at its meeting next Tuesday. The proposal will include 16 studio and 17 one-bedroom apartments in the 7000 block of Hollister Ave.

Essentially, the Hollister Village developers would like to remove 5 units and instead add 33 units. Their proposal states the, "... Amended Project would replace the entitled project of 12,687 square feet of commercial and five live/work units with a 33-unit apartment project on the currently undeveloped 1.84-acre portion within Hollister Village." The proposal can be viewed here.

What do edhat readers think of this amendment to add 33 more units to a space that was originally designated for just 5? Does the Goleta community want or need more housing crammed in a small space?

If you have any opinions on this, the City states: " Written submittals concerning agenda items may be sent to the City Clerk e-mail: dlopez@cityofgoleta.org; or mail: Attn: City Council and City Clerk at 130 Cremona Drive, Suite B Goleta, California 93117. In order to be disseminated to the City Council for consideration during the Council meeting, written information must be submitted to the City Clerk no later than Monday, September 18, 2017, at noon. Material received after this time may not be reviewed by the City Council prior to the meeting."

a-1506294538 Sep 14, 2017 07:17 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

We'll be here soon. I do support more housing -- AFFORDABLE housing. I LIKE my gardener, waiter, the city and county workers who respond off-hours, my vet tech, and hundreds of others. I worked for county and almost 50% of my salary, the first few years, went to rent. We're not all fat cats.

a-1506294538 Sep 14, 2017 07:17 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

SORRY I mean't we'll be HERE soon: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/12/now-this-is-ridiculous-782000-over-asking-for-a-house-in-sunnyvale/

a-1506294538 Sep 14, 2017 07:13 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

I still wonder what the nard of an ox is. (kidding. I know it's a family name)

a-1506294538 Sep 14, 2017 07:14 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

I still wonder what the nard of an ox is. (kidding. I know it's a family name)

a-1506294538 Sep 14, 2017 11:15 AM
More Housing on Hollister?

What's wrong with the name "Goleta?" Are you serious? At least it's better than "Oxnard" or "Carpinteria"

a-1506294538 Sep 14, 2017 08:54 AM
More Housing on Hollister?

Two of the City Council who approve everything are up for re-election next year. Last year we were able to defeat one of worst offenders. Next year we can get rid of two others.

420722 Sep 14, 2017 08:04 AM
More Housing on Hollister?

Nature boy-if I have to explain to you all the changes that have made Goleta worse then its not worth my time. You call yourself nature boy and you can't see what everyone else sees? Sad.

Nature Boy Sep 14, 2017 07:58 AM
More Housing on Hollister?

722, how about some examples of things "the city council took away"? What we usually blame on them for taking away is most often things that are gone because of people's changing tastes, progress, or just the passage of time. And lots of good things are here that once weren't. Parks, playgrounds, museums, bike paths....

420722 Sep 13, 2017 10:58 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

Ducky, I'm a young adult and I reminisce on "the way it was" all the time. I can recall so many things from my childhood that are now gone, rebuilt, overbuilt or about to be built over. It is so so sad, and what hurts the most is that the city council ( the people we elected to do what is best, to care for and nourish the city they represent) have turned it into a traffic nightmare and took away anything unique and all of us didn't have a choice or a voice in the destruction of Goleta and SB too. In the end we all lose because the quality of life is not what it used to be and it ain't coming back.

running_mike Sep 13, 2017 06:42 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

I don't even live in the Goleta area, but in SB, close to the Goleta border. It is very sad to see everything being developed and the quality of the city diminishing. What was once a good place to go and shop has turned into massive traffic and delays.

LocalsOnly Sep 13, 2017 05:33 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

NO! STOP IT! Reasonable Goletians were not necessarily against some new housing, but we are pissed that the city council has allowed developers to run rampant and reap immeasurable destruction on our town. In the past 5 years our town has transformed from a beautiful and unique seaside community into another Santa Maria. I get sick and angry every time I drive near Storke and Hollister. Please just stop.

Ducky Sep 13, 2017 03:07 PM
More Housing on Hollister?

I know it's the lament of middle aged/older persons everywhere, but sad, just sad. Goleta was beautiful before they turned into their own city and their city council apparently "sold them down the river". It looks like anywhere America now-really, really ugly.