Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Failure to yield on a reckless bicycle near 1400 East Cabrillo.

a-1542364127 Oct 21, 2018 03:51 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Drivers vs bicyclists. My latest aggravation is riders on electric bikes riding on the bike paths and on the beaches. Yesterday I saw a guy (electric bike) blast past me on the Goleta Bike Path and he was doing 35mph at the very least. Okay. So bicyclists are fast, too-----but those electric bikes are humongous some of them. Be walking along and get hit by the weight one of those, even if it's only zipping along at medium speed, and you are going to be racking up multiple broken bones.

Factotum Oct 19, 2018 03:48 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

As a frequent pedestrian, cars, bikes and skateboards are constant hazards even while staying on the sidewalk and watching for traffic signals and cross walks. Now we can add electric scooters to the daily pedestrian hazards. I thought the climate change uproar asked us to walk more too? Or maybe they just want reduced population numbers.

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 03:06 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

AndrewBaker77 nailed it - the driving distracted /screen addiction is baffling to see on a day-to-day basis with drivers on the road. More often than not, people young and old, looking at anything else but the road in front of them while they are driving. I remember when that law first came into effect with no cell phones while driving, but it seems absolutely rare if ever that it's enforced these days.

andrewbaker77 Oct 19, 2018 01:21 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

A reality check on bad riders vs bad drivers. I ride every day. (And, just in case you're looking for a reason to get angry at me, sorry but I stop at every stop sign/red light.) As a rider, I am up higher than most cars and regular SUV drivers, and can look into their car. The number of drivers who pass me texting / their eyes on a screen rather than the road, is stunning. And, for sure, getting worse every year. Cyclists, stop please, it makes us who do catch grief for those who don't. And drivers, holy moly, your screen addiction is beyond stunning. Are you really that afraid to just be bored for a minute, to be disconnected to others. Is your ability to imagine so diminished by your screen addiction that is it impossible to operate a motor vehicle without looking at your mobile? If so, do some searches about people who are in jail for vehicular manslaughter because they were replying to a text, or scrolling their instagram, etc etc. Do you want to be that next person, before a judge, a parent crying behind you because you killed their kid?

icanreadcanyou Oct 20, 2018 11:21 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

As a rider who obeys traffic signals, stop signs, and watches out for pedestrians, I'd give anything if the DMV educated drivers as to what hand signals mean. After clearly signaling a left turn for 30 feet I was nearly run over by a moron in an SUV trying to pass me. On the left. Maybe instead of extending my left arm straight to the side I should have extended a middle finger instead.

therealbebe Oct 19, 2018 02:49 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Well said AndrewBaker77. What is this urge to be constantly preoccupied? I say if you are bored while driving, you're not doing it right.

EastBeach Oct 19, 2018 12:39 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

While I'm not defending cyclists who disobey the rules, as a daily commuter on city streets and the freeway in SB and Goleta, I'd have to say I see car drivers do very bad things *every day* (speeding, cutting too close in front, rolling through stops, running red lights, using their cell phones, head down interacting with their nav system, tailgating, doing their makeup in the mirror, etc.). Every day. I compare that to the occasional bike rider I see running a stop or not yielding. Objectively, the numbers are peanuts in comparison.

EastBeach Oct 21, 2018 03:29 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

@ OCT 19, 2018 01:59 PM - What exactly is your point? My observation is about absolute numbers period. If you claim there are fewer bad car drivers out there than bad bike riders, you haven't been out much. I'd add ... bad driving results in many more lives lost/ruined and property damage than bad bike riding (some of the latter is self-inflicted). I'd rather focus on the bigger problem.

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 01:59 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

EASTBEACH, you need to adjust your "statistics" based on how many vehicles you see vs how many cyclists you see. Raw numbers don't mean anything when the population sizes differ greatly.

Roger Oct 19, 2018 01:07 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

It might be peanuts in comparison to you but when your a pedestrian on a sidewalk who cannot jump out of they way quick enough, and one of those jerks jump the curb to violate pedestrians it's pe**s to me, theirs ....

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 12:45 PM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Eastbeach, that's just not true about the numbers. I drive Cathedral Oaks *every day* and see cyclists blast through my stop sign *every day* - sometimes multiple cyclists at the same time! I see maybe 1 or 2 cars roll through that same stop sign every couple weeks. To say that more cars run stop signs and/or stop lights than cyclists, is absurd.

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 10:48 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Generally I don't like to add to the scofflaw bicyclist tirades, but recently I was nearly wiped out by one of the misbehaving spandex warriors as I (legally) walked across a street. They really need to behave better. I saw a car run a red light yesterday. Overall, people are just a pain in the blank.

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 10:39 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Good. I cannot tell you how many times I see cyclists blasting through stop and yield signs forcing other drivers - myself included - to slam on brakes putting ourselves and possibly others at risk. I hope more people do this. That includes skateboarders too - saw one completely blow through a stop sign at a really busy intersection just yesterday.

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 10:44 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

My kids were almost injured when I had to slam my brakes as I was turning left at an intersection and the cyclist coming toward me didn't even slow down until he was almost on the hood of my car. We almost hit the car to our left as I slammed the brakes and swerved to avoid the idiot. He just peddled off in his spandex. Cathedral Oaks is the worst!

Roger Oct 19, 2018 10:23 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

I'm not sure but he just got to jail should only take a few hours to get checked in.,..,

Roger Oct 19, 2018 09:56 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

Code 4/ 1400 Block of East Cabrillo it's a nice day and had this guy followed the traffic laws he could have enjoyed a nice weekend out of jail...Remember when the light turns red and your on a bicycle you better stop because motorists with cell phones are calling it in and snitching you out for running the stop sign and reckless riding the fines can be quite steep, not to mention court costs, possible probation etc...CSI in County Jail there he goes. I wonder if next time he will stop for a red light or a stop sign?

a-1542364127 Oct 19, 2018 09:54 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

HAHA! Finally! They caught one of those "scofflaw cyclists!" Throw the book at him!

Roger Oct 19, 2018 09:47 AM
Bicyclist Arrested on Cabrillo

People were calling in that he was running stop signs the bicyclists ride in traffic and have to follow traffic laws same as everyone else or else..