Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader title=
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

By an edhat reader

Thanks to a sharp employee at a State Street business who tracked down my bike tonight at White House (Geez, Make that Casa Blanca) Restaurant, a nice looking place indeed. He also stood vigil until I arrived.

Also thanks to his girlfriend who is a regular edhat reader who brought it to the attention of her boyfriend sleuth, and thanks to edhat for posting the video. It was in the possession of an employee there who paid $150 for it and had nothing to do with its theft. I felt sorry for the employee, but he accepted and turned over the bike graciously.

He did not know the seller but indicated he was known to sell bikes to persons unaware of their origin. It seems to be in good shape though the bottle cages removed and the brake calipers replaced with crummy ones. Anyway, this case is closed.

Below is the initial video of the theft:

PAST ARTICLES

March 24, 2018 - Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Flicka Jun 15, 2018 10:20 AM
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

This story has a great ending. Don't blame the guy who bought the bike. There can be a lot of reasons for selling bikes and blaming the buyer is unkind.

a-1540011526 Jun 14, 2018 06:59 PM
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

To the bike owner: It made me SO HAPPY when my boyfriend came home and told me that he had spotted your bike and that you were both en route to retrieve it. I think it's one of the coolest things ever that everything worked out and that you were reunited with your wheels. Hooray. Happy riding.

PeterN Jun 14, 2018 09:53 AM
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

When I buy something used from an individual, I get a written receipt with a phone number. If they won't give you one, you can bet it's stolen. If they DO give you one and it turns out it's stolen, at least you have proof that you bought it and didn't steal it.

mattyboy Jun 13, 2018 03:44 PM
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

Nice. Someone attempted to steal my bike by cutting the cable lock (unsuccessfully), but did steal my bike computer some time in the first few weeks of May (not exactly sure, hadn't ridden it since earlier in the month and didn't notice the half cut cable lock until later). Olive & De La Guerra. It's in a visible, but not quickly accessible area, so kind of ballsy...

bosco Jun 13, 2018 01:39 PM
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

Kudos to how this story went down. It was an open and honest description of a common street crime. Glad to see he got his bike back. Now, if we just had an ID of the thief. And, shame on the guy that bought the stolen bike (I'm sure he knew it was stolen). This is what edhat can do best. It's a great forum to bring this type of crime out of the shadows and into the public.

Nature Boy Jun 13, 2018 11:06 AM
Stolen Bicycle Recovered Thanks to Edhat Reader

Sounds like the guy who bought the bike was aware that it was likely stolen, so i don't feel one ounce of sorrow for him and his lost 150 bucks. DON'T BUY STOLEN STUFF!!!