By an edhat reader

Ok parents, I'm looking for your favorite parks on the South Coast to take little kids.

Which parks do you like most, and why? Looking to keep our little ones entertained by testing out all the parks. Thanks in advance.

NostraChumash Sep 23, 2022 08:36 PM

HEADLINE;
Innocent question re: children's playground, turns into bench-clearing
Parental brawl..

bicyclist Sep 24, 2022 07:09 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

macpuzl / Chuck - thanks, I keep forgetting that site. Well that & responding to my dig for not posting it. I was just following along yesterday, the antics were getting so out-there, I wanted to add "Sunflower Park", but wasn't sure if it was "appropriate" so instead attempted to add info that seemed to be missing (hence the launch).

macpuzl Sep 23, 2022 09:42 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Launch time: 2153 GMT ( 2:53 p.m. PDT)
Launch site: SLC-6, Vandenberg SFB

Check live coverage on spaceflightnow.com

a-1663992519 Sep 23, 2022 09:08 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Meant to say Kids World, couldn’t think of the name!

a-1663992324 Sep 23, 2022 09:05 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

I agree! It was sad and disheartening to read all the negative comments.

I think Santa Barbara parks are wonderful, whether you are taking a walk, having a picnic, walking your dog, hanging out with your children, grandchildren or parents.

When my grandchildren visit we enjoy parks with a playground. The park across from Alice Keck is the one I would recommend most highly.

When we had the carousel, that park was the best for kids!

bicyclist Sep 23, 2022 09:03 PM

Nailed it!
Guess it was a "slow day"... Probably because ED forgot to post the LAUNCH (counting down less than 17 hours!):

Basicinfo805 Sep 23, 2022 07:45 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Really? I personally answered the original posters question with honest facts based upon raising my own family here in SB. And 0737 calls me out for adding nothing to the conversation. Sure. Ever heard of implicit bias (think prejudice)?

OGSB Sep 23, 2022 07:58 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Basic- That's all they know... You have to let it go for your own sanity. Programmed sheep.

OGSB Sep 23, 2022 06:42 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

So good news... ED now has more posted comments than deleted!!! The bad news is that we need better mental health reform based on all those comments. (not really news)

OP- Most parks have been redone and are pretty nice. I think it would be fun to take the kids to all of them! DTSB parks are defiantly a bit sketchy, but you can scope it out and decide for yourself. We are very lucky to live in such a beautiful place. It's important to go out and both enjoy it and realize it. Have fun!

Basicinfo805 Sep 23, 2022 04:32 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Big thumbs down on Rocky Nook - it’s been taken over. Total shame, don’t get me started. I’ll leave it at that.

OGSB Sep 23, 2022 06:47 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Rather not have to be on alert while eating. Just me being weird. The group smoking meth was the least sketchy bunch. Feel free to get your kids some real-life education though MARCELK,

OGSB Sep 23, 2022 06:33 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Basic- 100% don't take your kids there! I stopped there between appointments to eat my Tino's and was shocked. I ended up leaving.

Alexblue Sep 23, 2022 03:47 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Kids' World is great. It is a wonderful climbing structure and you don't get sketchy types in the play area as it is so well attended.

Basicinfo805 Sep 23, 2022 01:27 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

No, there are no bathrooms at Willowglen, and that’s why people aren’t camping there all day so they can have access to a bathroom. It’s too bad, but it’s the reality.

Babycakes Sep 23, 2022 11:51 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Alice Keck Park is wonderful for kids of all ages. They discourage feeding the ducks and turtles, but.....we bring along a few "nibbles" for the birdies/turts to munch on (do not feed them chips, popcorn, or anything with a bunch of preservatives like Pop Tarts, Fruit Loops, and so on). Someone mentioned two parks we completely avoid due to the out-of-control coyote problem: Steven's Creek Park and Tucker's Grove. Both of these parks also have had numerous sightings of mountain lions, which should make anyone (child and adult) nervous. We saw one less than a year ago sneaking up on something, but did not stick around to find out what. For those seeking parks in urban areas, the further away from the nearest place that sells booze, the fewer problem visitors you'll encounter has been my experience (here, and elsewhere).

Babycakes Sep 24, 2022 05:01 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

SacJon: I think that my comment was quite clear:
1. Alice Keck Park is, in my opinion, one the best parks to take children of all ages (babies to those who are 100-years old or more years old).
2. "... feeding the ducks and turtles is completely discouraged for good reason. Some folks do not understand that it's quite unhealthy to toss out Ritz crackers, donut pieces, fried chips, beef jerky, cotton candy, etc."
3. Read #1 and #2.

Additional points:
- I discourage anyone and everyone from feeding the ducks, birds, turtles, fish and everything else at Alice Keck Park.
- IF you are going to feed the wildlife, don't feed them garbage...go with the duck pellets.
- People do a lot of things that are not healthy or wise, but they are going to do those things irregardless of being told and knowing differently. So, they might as well know the best way to proceed with said bad behavior.
....that's basically it, so remember kids, don't feed the animals like the signs say.

You have to admit, it was and is still a good day to head to Alice Keck for a quick viz.

a-1664063021 Sep 24, 2022 04:43 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

BABYCAKES, what you are doing is selfish and shouldn't be encouraged in any form. You are doing it to entertain yourself, not to benefit the wildlife. What happens if everyone starts doing this, not just you? Nothing good for the ducks, that's for sure! Please stop, or at the VERY least, don't encourage others by trumpeting your self-serving behavior.

Babycakes Sep 24, 2022 08:53 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

MarcelK: Feeding or not feeding the ducks at Alice Keck Park does not detract from the fact that it is probably the best place to bring your kids for an enjoyable time without some of the safety issues encountered at other parks. You are correct, feeding the ducks and turtles is completely discouraged for good reason. Some folks do not understand that it's quite unhealthy to toss out Ritz crackers, donut pieces, fried chips, beef jerky, cotton candy, etc. What the ducks/turtles refuse to eat sinks to the bottom and rots. We only provide them with organic, salt- and gluten-free items that they gobble up with joy (at least to me it seems like they are joyful). Like anything, moderation is the key, so you don't want to go there and dump out buckets filled with unhealthy or inedible nibbles. If you can afford it, you can buy Purina duck food pellets, which do not harm anything. By the way, the pellets are best served on dry soil or lawn.

So, yeah, Alice Keck Park gets my vote every time for the best place to bring kids for an outing.

MarcelK Sep 23, 2022 05:59 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

"They discourage feeding the ducks and turtles"

With good reason.

"but.....we bring along a few "nibbles" for the birdies/turts to munch on"

Of course you do.

9inchedward Sep 23, 2022 11:37 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Let me just say what I should have said in the first place, We take our kids to our neighborhood park almost everyday, it’s on willowglen it’s a really nice park

GeneralTree Sep 23, 2022 11:17 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Always fun to take a stroll around Lake Los Carneros and feed the ducks.

MarcelK Sep 23, 2022 06:33 PM

"and feed the ducks"

Oy. You and Babycakes. Not a good model of behavior -- don't do it.

sacjon Sep 23, 2022 11:14 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Girsh Park in Goleta is great for any number of activities, sports, etc. For natural beauty and shaded areas, go with Bella Vista Open Space, Haskell's beach, Shoreline Park, to name a few.

Don't be scared off by the ridiculous claims that all the parks are smeared in feces, etc. Yes, downtown you will see homeless people, but they usually keep to them selves. Safest, cleanest parks though are in Goleta and San Roque area.

mm1970 Sep 23, 2022 09:42 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Elings Park. Escondido is really cute. Hilda Ray is nice too. There's one is Summerland that I like too. Stow House and Stow grove park. Skofield, but not this time of year (too hot).

a-1663944687 Sep 23, 2022 07:51 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Rocky Nook Park - giant boulders to climb, natural creek to explore, oak trees to meander under and yes the "required" "safe" tot lot with swings, climbing structure, slides. But nature is what the other parks don't have in the same way. Also near the Old Mission Historical Park and rose garden with lots of lawn and old historical relics to find out about. Getting from one to the other does mean crossing streets. So, just staying in Rocky Nook should give ample imaginative and other play.

SBSand Sep 23, 2022 04:29 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Was at rocky nook recently and there was trash everywhere and drunk homeless people there all day. It's NO longer my go to sadly.

paglinsb Sep 23, 2022 07:40 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

“The South Coast” is a large area. Are you asking about theme parks and amusement parks, or playgrounds?

a-1663973556 Sep 23, 2022 03:52 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

I understood it as parks and playgrounds. And the "South Coast" is from Goleta-Carp.

SBSand Sep 23, 2022 07:09 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Look for neighborhood parks. Hilda Rae on the mesa, Stow Grave in Goleta and there are lots of little hidden parks in neighborhoods all over Goleta. I do not know of as many in SB but these ones are more closely monitored by the neighborhood and less likely to have issues with homeless.

Basicinfo805 Sep 22, 2022 08:11 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Willowglen is a nice sleeper. Zero clowns there. Only families and kids.

mm1970 Sep 23, 2022 09:36 AM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Except no bathrooms, unless that has changed in the last 13 years. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

edney Sep 22, 2022 07:31 PM

Willowglen

Or have GT take your kids to Plaza de Vera Cruz Park. The City of SB's first park and currently in a three way tie with Ortega, Pershing Parks for the following best in show amenities:
Best Place to see an addict drop a deuce.
Best Place to see an addict shoot up.
Best Place to show your kids how Narcan works

edney Sep 23, 2022 10:58 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

And of course the color of your world within your fevered mind is the same as fairy princesses , unicorns and other delusions

OGSB Sep 23, 2022 07:56 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

GT- "Edney I mean" Super crazy that you don't know what you're talking about...

MarcelK Sep 23, 2022 06:27 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

"You voted for a 20 year clowncar cavalcade of losers"

I don't think GT voted for you or your RW friends.

The fact is that the public servants that you are denigrating are better people than you are in every possible way.

MarcelK Sep 23, 2022 06:32 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

"You voted for a 20 year clowncar cavalcade of losers and then expect Rowse to fix it all in a year?"

You blame the politicians you don't favor for everything that happens on their watch and excuse the politicians you do favor for everything that happens on their watch. Why? Because you're a fundamentally dishonest person.

MarcelK Sep 23, 2022 06:23 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

" I had no idea my drivers side window was a TV tuned into FOX."

The TV tuned into Fox is inside your head ... it colors how you see the world.

You and your favored party created the economic conditions that resulted in the homeless people you so despise, many of whom come to California from red states. Many are veterans who lack services because the GOP prefers to cut the taxes of corporations and the rich. And there are the mentally ill who were released from mental hospitals by Gov. Reagan without providing the services that were supposed to go with that.

But for right wingers, it's all about feeling superior and blaming people for their circumstances.

edney Sep 23, 2022 04:30 PM

GT.
PS: You have no idea who I voted for as mayor because I live SB City Limits adjacent. I will tell you that I was happy to vote for Jimmy Carter and happy to vote for Bill Clinton.
That said, remain staggered by your intellect, thanks for the discussion- usually I have to stop by the Lyndon LaRouche table outside the post office for that level of insight

edney Sep 23, 2022 04:19 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Last time I drove past on Haley there was a guys passed out on the side walk with his pants half down. He looked like he'd nodded off while dropping one. I had no idea my drivers side window was a TV tuned into FOX.

I will say that park is a lot better than it was 10 years ago but if you can't find the addicts, you are not looking. To be fair I've seen overdoses in Upper Orpet on the Riviera, Oak Park down by all the halfway houses Alameda park near the bandstand and along Sola.

Post your phone number and I'll call you instead of 911 next time I see someone who looks overdosed so you can grab your kids and grandkids and visit

ChillinGrillin Sep 23, 2022 03:38 PM
Favorite Park for Kids?

Edney: Go to Plaza de Vera Cruz and spend like 30 minutes there. It's a good park and I doubt you even go there. I do pretty regularly with my dog or a book and it's relaxing. You should get out of the Fox News bubble and try it sometime.

Pages