By an edhat reader

I'm a fourth-generation Santa Barbara local and my best friend is a third-generation Goleta local (if you can believe that we're friends!). We're debating which beach is the best on the South Coast. Obviously, we're both biased and this is completely subjective. She says Haskells and I say Hendrys. What say you edhat readers?

EastBeach May 05, 2021 12:33 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Hmm ... wonder which beach I should pick? Haha. Just happy to live in a place with coastal access.

yacht rocked May 04, 2021 05:07 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Me neither. Don't need additional beer cans, dog poo, Doritos bags, and goofy selfie poses. ;)

sacjon May 04, 2021 11:19 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

RUDYRUDYRUDY - so no beaches west of Patterson are any good? Weird comment, but OK, if that's how you feel.....

ZeroHawk May 04, 2021 10:07 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

that is a loaded question! it's a personal preference. I chose a different beach each weekend and i live across from the harbor beach. I guess right NOW my favorite is an unknown locals spot in summerland. i'll leave it at that. Also Angels Beach too, which again is a locals spot unknown to many by name. Close to butterfly beach ;) but really....each beach we have around here, in my opinion, serves a purpose. so really it depends on what you want on YOUR beach day.

Montecito_Rat May 04, 2021 09:51 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Hope Ranch beach, by far the best, if you can get in. Otherwise, Santa Claus Lane.

may3591 May 04, 2021 08:26 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Butterfly Beach by far over all. Torrance Beach and Redondo are iceplant and houses too close to the ocean and all 3 too crowded. That includes Ventura and Oxnard. None are picturesque like Santa Barbara beaches.

SBREADER May 05, 2021 11:17 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Well when I was growing up we referred to that area you like so much as the "South Bay" which around here in the surfer World, was a bad word. The last place on Earth most SB surfers want to go visit is the South Bay!

a-1620180203 May 04, 2021 07:03 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

obnoxious SBREADER.... 1: I'm actually born and raised here in SB ("didnt just get here") and I continue to live here now. I lived in LA for a year which is why I have experience with knowing how great other places are too, unlike yourself (as you've stated, "never been to and will never go to"). 2: Apparently someone should tell the whole rest of socal coastals that theyve all been using the term wrong, and you're here to set it straight for the rest of them. 3: Well LA TE DAH, you have a secret beach that you're not gonna tell anyone!? oOOooOoOh

SBREADER May 04, 2021 05:01 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

And to the Poster, between Haskells and "Hendry's" when I was a kid Haskell's was one of the best beaches around for surfing and everything else. Now the sand left, rocky and I do not like the Bacara vibe. Never going there to hang out again. We called "Hendry's" the Pit for a reason! The actual best beach is East Beach. Where else has white sand like that?

SBREADER May 04, 2021 04:54 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Anyone who thinks that just got here. Southern California, that includes those places you mention, I have never been to and will never go to. The "South Coast" is a well known description of our respective areas. The "South Coast" is Gaviota to Rincon. Always has been, always will be! The best beach on the South Coast is one none of you have ever been to before!

a-1620150074 May 04, 2021 10:41 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

yeah, that was my first thought when I read it was based on entire "South Coast". Prolly even the top TEN beaches wouldn't include anything in SB area.

sacjon May 03, 2021 10:11 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Who could possibly make a comment about favorite beaches that is so bad and offensive it gets deleted completely? Come on folks, it's a beach.

a-1620150149 May 04, 2021 10:42 AM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

lol someone prolly including politics in the mix or something about the homeless... its amazing what qualifies for politics baiting on here these days.

edney May 03, 2021 10:03 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Summerland is nice when it doesn't have tar... which is never
Serena Point is nice, but hard to get to
Butterfly and Miramar are picturesque. Sharks is nice if it is low tide
Ledbetter to Mesa Lane is nice at low tide as is More Mesa
Hope Ranch beach is a nice little spot if you can get there.
Parson's Cove at low tide can make you feel like you discovered the Pacific coast (if no one else is there)

dukemunson May 03, 2021 09:11 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Campus point!!! Sure there are times where there isn’t actually even any beach... but for a Sunday spot with kids learning to surf (and littles just running around making friends) it’s tough to beat! Runner up for me is east beach... there is always a spot you can make your own and no matter the tide it’s got tons of sand and a great view (and free parking...hate paying that $4 to UCSB!)

a-1620097638 May 03, 2021 08:07 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Best beaches are north of Santa Barbara these days. Too many crowds and dogs at Hendry's. Coal Oil Point, Sands and Haskells. Haskells is only one with nearby parking, but very limited. Otherwise, you are in for a walk, which is why the other two are so clean and uncrowded.

sacjon May 03, 2021 07:54 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

I gotta say, I LOVE Haskell's. Beautiful views, grassy area for groups, cool little trail near by, no tourists (except for Bacara guests which usually don't hang out obnoxiously), decent fishing, never too crowded, list goes on.

Basicinfo805 May 03, 2021 07:48 PM
Best Beach on the South Coast?

Depends what you're looking for, of course.
Best sand? Miramar
Best relaxation? No-name, up the coast
Best surf? That depends ; )
Best family-friendly? Campus Pt.
Overall best? I'd agree with Ken, honorable mention to Hammond's because it takes me back to being a kid.
I'm not a fan of Hendrys at all, but that's just me.