By edhat staff

We are sad to announce the death of longtime reader and commenter RexOfSB.

"Rex," also known as John Dell, passed away early on Friday morning.

He spent a wonderful Thanksgiving evening with his beloved family, playing games with his son and grandchildren, and enjoyed a Thanksgiving feast. According to his family, he left suddenly, but peacefully.

"Rex" was a frequent edhat contributor whose colorful opinions, witty banter, and love of dogs (mostly Huskies) will be greatly missed.

He is survived by his son Graham who lives in Santa Barbara, son Peter in San Francisco, and his five grandchildren.

yin yang Dec 20, 2020 10:13 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

How did I Miss this?!?!?! aaaiiiieeeee.....
I saw his name in the SB NewsPress obits last night as I reviewed them, but they're only printing death notices now.
So sorry for his family and friends. I think he'd understand when I say I respect and miss a good person and their life, but it seems he had a good life.
Damn, first Flicka & then Rex. Old News Press people.
sorry, I'm ranting.
RIP Rex, I know you will. My condolences, again, to his family.

Bird Dec 21, 2020 07:39 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

I, too, missed the obit and am so very, very sorry! I was thinking yesterday about Flicka and how much I miss her comments, miss her virtual preserve. And Rex, more acerbic, was one of a kind, making edhat particularly valuable. I always appreciated his perceptions and wondered at not seeing any of his comments recently.....

I do so hope his dogs find a good home together and wish that I could adopt them, but my small rescue dog is both afraid of and aggressive towards huskies.

Ahlia Dec 02, 2020 10:22 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

2020 has been a year of too many sad stories... Thank you for telling us that John had a good Thanksgiving Day with his kids and grandkids ... and that he died peacefully the next day. I can't imagine a better way to go. RIP

EastBeach Dec 02, 2020 10:19 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

Sad to hear. Though they had different commentary styles, I too will miss Rex and Flicka. Both were able to opine and provide facts without being churlish - no small feat in today's online forums. Rest in peace Rex.

mtndriver Dec 02, 2020 08:29 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

Oh, so sad to read this this morning! Rex was a stalwart, so sensible, and so funny. Felt like I knew him. Condolences to his sons and grandchildren. He will certainly be missed here on Edhat, too. RIP.

Minibeast Dec 01, 2020 08:47 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

John Dell. I had no idea RexOfSB was John. We met many years ago, back in the late 90s. Such a class act and funny as hell. One of my favorite wordsmiths. Always enjoyed reading whatever he wrote for the News-Press and elsewhere. This is sad, sad news. Heartfelt condolences to the family and to all who loved John.

JeffinSB Dec 01, 2020 07:18 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

Crap......I met John in 1979 when we were in a show together out at Circle Bar B. He had then and retained an incredible sense of humor. We were in a couple more shows out there into the 80's. Fast forward to the millenium. When my young at the time son met John, he proceeded to tell my son a very dark joke, oh the look on my son's face! We would run into each other every now and then. He became an amputee first, joking through it all. Then I did, we spared no expense at laughing at ourselves.
He was always very dear to me. Yes he preceded Barney at the News Press and was incredibly funny, but also on the mark with his commentary. My heartfelt condolences to his family. Rest in humor John

Giggles Dec 01, 2020 06:57 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

I felt VERY sad (and shocked) to read this today. He always reminded me that we shared the same birthday (November 4th-gotta love us Scorpios-heh heh)...AND he always reminded me that we shared it with Mr. Walter Cronkite. Some might havta Google his name...This death " stings" for me... Happy Travels Rex. I will miss you...

Shasta Guy Dec 01, 2020 05:46 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

Sorry to hear of this news, and my condolences to the family. At an EdHat event a couple years ago, “Rex” and I had a wonderful conversation. He will be missed.

Rob Egenolf Dec 01, 2020 02:11 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

As a family member (he and I are both grandfathers for three of his grandchilden) I can tell you all that as much as Rex enjoyed commenting and as proud as he always was with his witty and pithy comments, I believe that the many comments above from other posters would please him the most even though he might or might not ever have agreed with any of your other posts.

Seabird Dec 01, 2020 12:47 PM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

Oh no, this is sad news. He made great contributions to our online community. My thoughts are with his family, and I'm so glad he got to enjoy them for Thanksgiving and passed peacefully. Hail and Farewell, Rex.

MountainMan4865 Dec 01, 2020 11:27 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

I'm heartbroken! He will be greatly missed. Gladdened to hear that he was able to spend the time with those he loved. Rex, you were always good for a much needed giggle. Safe journey -

LCP112233 Dec 01, 2020 11:05 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

Shocked and saddened by this loss. Rest in peace Rex. I really enjoyed communicating with you on this and other forums. Condolences to your family. You will be missed.

Roger Dec 01, 2020 10:39 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

I feel like I lost someone close that I knew this is rough for me I wonder if there's a place up North where Edatters check in? Peter, FLICKA, now Rex, Rest in Peace...

SBsurferlife Dec 01, 2020 10:33 AM
Longtime Edhat Commenter RexofSB Passed Away

I am so very sad to hear this. I loved reading Rex's comments and insights on our town. I believe he also used to write for the News Press many moons ago. Truly rest in peace Rex.