By an edhat reader

What's up? The last two days our Cox internet has been randomly dropping throughout the day, disrupting school and work. Is anyone else experiencing this?

cherplan Oct 25, 2020 11:16 AM
Cox Internet Outages?

I had a phishing attack several weeks ago and my attempts to even reach Cox on the phone was the worst as they would keep disconnecting me. It took 2 weeks to get the problem fixed, but in the meantime I added a few gmail accounts which work just fine.
I contacted Mayor Cathy Murillo and she sent my complaint to the Cox CEO and I re-iterated my complaint to him saying I was not getting what I was paying for. He said that Cox only offers cox email as an extra, not a paid item. Obviously they are no longer supporting email problems and couldn't care less about them. They are not able to offer sufficient services to their customers. Their techs are mostly incompetent unless you insist on going to a higher level. So, I am telling you it is hopeless to contact Mayor Murillo unless more people insist that they object to Cox as having a monopoly. We need better service particularly in this time of everyone from students to retirees on Zoom.

pxn Oct 22, 2020 05:46 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

We need city council members who will end the cox monopoly! We need this to be a major voter issue.

TJTom Oct 22, 2020 08:49 AM
Cox Internet Outages?

Yes. We have experienced slow internet and intermittent dropouts over the last few days.

cegarbage Oct 22, 2020 07:32 AM
Cox Internet Outages?

Verizon and t-mobile are offering 4g LTE at home as close as San Diego. Hopefully will be here soon. With the tier i'm on that speed is enough. And there are no caps on the plans

SBSand Oct 21, 2020 06:21 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

Yes, we had some issues yesterday morning. As a backup I have my phone for a hot spot, highly recommend that as an option for those working/schooling from home.

EastBeach Oct 21, 2020 01:30 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

When working from home, I VPN into the office over Cox. Haven't noticed any issues the last two weeks but that's just my local area. What I have noticed is intermittent VoIP performance especially during the mornings with Cox. VoIP (digital audio communications) is especially sensitive to your ISP's jitter and I've been using a tool to measure Cox's download and upload jitter. Upload jitter has been the culprit whenever the other person says my voice is coming across chopped up with cutouts. Can't do much about it ... unlike DSL, cable internet is shared with your neighbors. DSL is a direct line (albeit with slower download speeds than cable) from the telco's central office.

garfield Oct 22, 2020 05:25 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

I know that song very well. Had techs at the house at least three times in the last year. They never found a problem. I heard from a neighbor that the Gigablast does not have the problems being described. I bot Gigablast, and it does work.
None of the techs had found anything wrong. But they reterminated a cable or two and replaced a split-er. Other than that they were nice but clueless.
In hindsight, I should have asked for a signal monitor/recorder to be at my house for a few days. A week ago I found a post about Network segment outages when they get busy. He referred to a failure of handshaking on the net and called it "flagging". This does not affect the Gigablast signals, as they are a totally different signal (Docsis 3.1) from the troubled speeds below 500 Mbps.
I suggest demanding a recorder device to confirm or disprove the network failures.
I am paying at least $50/month more than I need because Cox is stonewalling.

EastBeach Oct 22, 2020 12:14 AM
Cox Internet Outages?

@Ginger1 - The jitter is unlikely related to my LAN equipment which supports all the newer standards (I was a telecomm equipment designer for many years so know how to set it up). Under consistent LAN test conditions, I can simulate a VoIP call and analyze the end-to-end packet flow using a QoS tool. I can't entirely blame Cox for the upload jitter because rarely does a single ISP ever control the entire route of a call. But I have noticed the upload jitter coincides with typically heavy traffic times (jitter in the evening is usually very low). Bottom line - I chalk it up to WAN network congestion which I can't control as a Cox customer. It would be interesting if Cox is somehow prioritizing call routing for customers of their own Cox Voice service (at the expense of other non-Cox VoIP users).

ginger1 Oct 21, 2020 03:53 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

Here's a tip: if your Cox internet goes down, DO NOT unplug and reset the cable modem. Wait 15 minutes and see if works again. Ask a neighbor if they are down. If not, THEN do the reset and do not forget to also reset your wireless router if you've got a separate one. If you have to do that a lot, and especially if your modem or router is over 3 or 4 years old, head on down to Best Buy and get another one. Don't rent. Buy. The Cox system is using a newer protocol (DOCSIS 3.0/3.1) and older modems have a hard time with it. That will also help with your VoIP telephone quality. You can get a modem for $50-100 (add another 50-100 if you are on the super-duper high speed plan, which is a waste of money unless you are streaming to multiple 4k big screens at once.)

Then you have to call Cox with the serial number, etc, and they have to activate it. Not a big deal if you don't have wait on hold for hours. You can also just bring the box to the Cox store and you'll be good to go.

a-1603312176 Oct 21, 2020 01:29 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

I’m on the Westside, and it seems the internet has been cutting out a bit the past couple of days.

justabrain Oct 21, 2020 01:04 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

Yes. In the past two days, there have been a sudden change with Cox internet. I've done resetting the modems multiple times, but the problem persists. The up and download speed changed with the upload speed slowed dramatically.

oceandrew Oct 21, 2020 01:01 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

Not lately but in the past I'd lose Internet connection at least once a day. The typical remedy was to pull the plug on my wireless router, wait 15 secs and plug it in again. On rare occasions when that wouldn't work I'd do it to the Cox router. On those occasions when cable, phone and Internet were cut off I figured Cox was on the fritz and the only way to get it back was to wait patiently.

ginger1 Oct 21, 2020 01:00 PM
Cox Internet Outages?

Cox is an easy target around here and, I hear, in many communities. But outages happen. It's not a perfect system, especially when a drunk rams his/her car into a utility pole holding up a Cox cable. Or for a few minutes now and then as they perform system upgrades/maintenance. If it drags on for more than a few minutes, check their website for info on when to expect it back on, using your cellphone's LTE or "hot spot" while patiently waiting.

The REAL problem with Cox is that is a de facto monopoly that plays games with their service fees. (Unless you live very nearby a Frontier DSL central office link. And they are not without their issues.) But no real competition for high-speed internet. Not yet. But 5G and StarLink satellite is coming! Competition, but probably not so much a bargain. We'll see.