Phone Service Out?

By an edhat reader

My land-line phone service (Frontier Communications) has been out for a day and I've been unable to find out what the problem is and when it will be restored. Do any EdHatters have relevant info?

MountainMan4865 Sep 29, 2020 10:49 PM
Phone Service Out?

We use Southern California Telephone, whose rates are awesome, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Frontier owns and maintains the lines. So if you're having an issue with the your system, it's likely to do with Frontier, but you will have to negotiate through your independent phone company to get it addressed. Frontier may seem crappy, but they bought out Verizon's copper hard line system to try to keep it alive, and was problematic from the get go. AT&T also dumped their copper phone line system, which Frontier purchased. Frontier started out as a community collective, buying up the copper lines the major companies were dumping. I believe they might be, currently, the largest holder of landline systems in the country, though I could be totally wrong.

CPlocal Sep 29, 2020 03:37 PM
Phone Service Out?

I have a Frontier landline and it's been working all day.

Lciancar Sep 29, 2020 11:48 AM
Phone Service Out?

Might want to consider the landline service from Community Phone. They let you keep your landline number without requiring internet access, and, in my experience, much more reliable than Frontier -- https://communityphone.org/blogs/news/how-to-transfer-a-landline-telephone-number-to-a-cell-phone

Lciancar Sep 29, 2020 06:00 PM
Phone Service Out?

Yes, that's a good point -- but I've heard CP quality tends to be better; and, for what it's worth, they also help you find internet provider in your area & make it easier to leave your bundle and get out of that whole mess

EastBeach Sep 29, 2020 01:26 PM
Phone Service Out?

Informative link. I noticed Community Phone also has number parking & forwarding plans. CP could be a good option for those who don't have/want internet access. But if you do, a standard VoIP service will cost the same and provide even more options (at my office, all our phones are using VoIP). Warning - you'll lose the line when power is down (but so will many others). Example provider .... https://www.1-voip.com/residential-voip.php

d8vanilla Sep 29, 2020 11:06 AM
Phone Service Out?

Your location would be helpful.... very helpful. I have phone service, but I'm not gonna give you my location !!!!
That being said, I found out a few years ago, that all the horrible static on my landline, was caused by them installing the "inside " line, outside.....

CRAM Sep 29, 2020 10:36 AM
Phone Service Out?

My Frontier service is working . Several years ago my service went out. In that case an outside wire failed. If your service is not working and/or in or out that is what happened to me. I had to call them and get it fixed. My experience has been that Frontier does not really want our business. As you may know they bought out Verizon landline service. I believe as a company they are not local and would be happy if we dropped them. My costs have gone up and up. I have not found any other landline provider that covers us. Over internet service is not the same as landline.