Gaviota Camping Tips

By an edhat reader

Hi edhatters. I'm a novice camper and am tent camping at Gaviota State Beach for the first time next week. Do locals have any tips of what to bring or expect? Thanks in advance!

a-1600457883 Sep 18, 2020 12:38 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Could be all day, but usually around sunset, funneling down through the pass.

macpuzl Sep 18, 2020 09:40 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Re Refugio - The sundowners can really roar down that canyon, too, but Refugio tends to be calmer than Gaviota, and the campsites are more sheltered and shaded.

Babycakes Sep 18, 2020 01:10 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Bring your own "shade" (umbrella, tarp, or "something") as the vast majority of the camping sites have no trees/shade. Fishing gear....as basic as fishing line wrapped around a stick if you don't have a fishing rod. You can fish for free off public piers/jetties in California without a fishing license. Do not leave ANY food out....raccoons will snag anything not secure. Earplugs (noisy neighbors, and you're about 300 feet away from the highway). Remember that you can use your pass to enter other State parks like Refugio, and El Capitan.

OICU812 Sep 18, 2020 02:03 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Yep, as desperate as I am to camp with my vintage trailer I will never go back to Gaviota due to the horrible wind. Hubby feels the same way.

Always_Running Sep 18, 2020 02:29 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Gaviota State Beach is the only campground I’ve ever had to use tent steaks. Usually my ice crest and junk hold it down, but it was windy. Tonight (Friday) winds 28 mph, gust up to 37 mph until 3am. Saturday 3pm wind gust 27 mph. Download “wind alert” and hope for a calm weekend.

tagdes Sep 18, 2020 02:53 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

I'd keep the steaks in the ice chest and get some tent stakes to hold it down.

a-1600466189 Sep 18, 2020 02:56 PM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Sometimes it's too windy to eat them at the table and the best place is in the tent!

Minibeast Sep 19, 2020 12:00 AM
Gaviota Camping Tips

TAGDES: Are you willing to steak your life on that? I'll steak you, if you bet double or nothing. You sound like a good person to be with on a steak out. (I know. My terrible jokes are like a steak to the heart.)

Minibeast Sep 19, 2020 12:02 AM
Gaviota Camping Tips

Trying to come up with some ice crest jokes, but I got nothing. Gonna go brush my teeth and think on it.

John Easton Sep 19, 2020 11:05 AM
Gaviota Camping Tips

The pier has been closed for a long time, even for foot traffic. I don’t believe it has opened yet.