By edhat staff

Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) is reporting the 68th death of an individual who tested positive for COVID-19. The individual was over 70 years of age, associated with a congregate living facility, and had underlying medical conditions. This person resided in the City of Santa Barbara which includes the unincorporated area of Mission Canyon.

Deaths are reported when a death certificate is processed listing COVID-19 as a cause or a significant condition. The process can take several days and up to 2 months to finalize if pending Coroner verification.

“We extend our heartfelt condolences to this community member’s family and friends. The COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the most vulnerable residents in our community. I urge everyone to continue wearing face coverings and stay at least 6 feet away from others you do not live with,” said Van Do-Reynoso, Santa Barbara County Public Health Director.

PHD is also reporting 77 new cases for a grand total of 6,652. Of that 205 are active with 81 hospitalizations including 25 in the intensive care unit (ICU).

For general questions about COVID-19 and precautions currently recommended by Santa Barbara County Public Health, residents may call the Santa Barbara County Call Center at (833)-688-5551 or visit publichealthsbc.org.

jojomilo Aug 10, 2020 03:25 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

At what point does this get just morbid. Do you think having this report every day helps your life. 3,000 plus people will die in Santa Barbara county. This disease is averaging about 10-12 people a month so let say that 125 people will die from this this year. That is equal to the number of suicides plus the number of people who die because they can take a crap - bowel obstructive. People who die of heart disease will have a 600% higher mortality. Why isn't that reported since that is about 2 people every day 7 days a week. Do you learn anything about masks from this chart. Does it tell you anything more about being old and having a pre-existting condition. I am not over this I am surpised that more people dont have a similiar atrtitude.

Voran Aug 07, 2020 09:06 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I'm amazed that so many of the Cottage Hospital staff and employees are not wearing masks around the area around the hospital. I see many many people in scrubs or wearing Cottage ID on the sidewalks in the vicinity of the hospital NOT wearing masks, NOT even moving 6 ft away from pedestrians.

Shouldn't Cottage be the example for the community?

I find it disrespectful to me when I cross the street to avoid them while wearing my own mask - which protects them, not me. At times I've simply returned to my home to exercise there because there are mask-free employees on both sides of the street. I even see people with MD badges without masks.

Aren't we all required to wear masks in public places? This is a very busy part of town.

I request that Cottage be an example for the community and do the minimum - wear masks in public.

ChemicalSuperFreak Aug 07, 2020 08:19 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

Not sure what your point is, but one fact is that the shockwave from that explosion expanded the air and condensed water, which formed the visible could. The speed of air from that blast could not only remove your mask, but it would peel the tissue from your bones as well. I'm sure you weren't being serious with that suggestion, and I'm not really either. But the point is in the first 24 hours following that blast, COVID was understandably not the immediate concern. As far as comparing apples to oranges, with respect to NJ and the cases and deaths, again, I know you can't possibly be serious with that either.

a-1596856176 Aug 07, 2020 08:09 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I was watching the horrific aftermath of the Beirut explosion and noticed that in all the pictures for the first 24 hours or so, no one was wearing a mask. Not like it blew off their face, or maybe they forgot it... no one. The hospital pictures showed half the staff wearing masks. I was very curious, looked at their numbers - 6.1 million people in Lebanon - 5,000+ cases, 64 deaths at the time of the explosion. People were wearing masks the next day during clean up, but probably because they knew they were dealing with a lot of toxic dust, and then Macron showed up, and he didn't even look comfortable in his mask and took it off to talk with people. New Jersey, which has around 8 million people went under a lock down, with masks, and has had almost 16,000 deaths. Beirut is considered the Riviera of the Middle East and is heavily travelled.

a-1596843036 Aug 07, 2020 04:30 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

You are making good observations, Bene. Keep asking the right questions.

Bene Aug 07, 2020 03:36 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I understand your concerns. I get very uncomfortable when strangers with or without masks walk too close to me, and find myself dodging up driveways or crossing the street constantly to avoid them. But there is some possibility that we don't need to be as concerned as we are. It seems no one knows all there is to know about modes of transmission yet, but several Cottage physicians have told me that inside spaces are of far more concern than outside, and length of contact is also important. I also was told that even though national news reports large numbers of infected health care workers, that at Cottage, not one health care worker has been proven to have contracted the virus at Cottage. (Although several have contracted it from "community exposure.")

bosco Aug 07, 2020 09:11 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

Maybe because they're healthcare workers and understand the mode of transmission and risks better than you? Your'e not going to get infected by someone walking past you on the sidewalk outside.

tiredmom Aug 07, 2020 08:05 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I was down on lower State Street this past weekend and was really appalled by how many were NOT wearing masks. (They mostly seemed like tourists) Right in front of the Natural Cafe where they had to pass a big sign that said masks were required. And the Health Dept has a booth with info and free masks. No one is enforcing it. PLEASE Santa Barbara City Police: ticket these people. We won't get back to normal till everyone complies for a few weeks.

a-1596818152 Aug 07, 2020 09:35 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

It's important that you share your concerns with the city council, especially since at the last meeting, Rob Dayton said "90%" of people on State St are wearing masks. I'm not sure why everyone just blindly trusts this statistic from one guy . Anyway, you can email them all at the same email address: mayor&[email protected] and tell them what you see. I guarantee a few of the will respond.

tgrthjbbb Aug 07, 2020 08:02 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I work in an assisted living facility, and I have a right to know if a resident has tested positive at that facility.

SandyS Aug 07, 2020 10:38 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

GIFTED sadly no they may not. A friend of mine is an OR surgical tech with a large medical provider here in CA. Nurses and doctors are not showing up for work b/c of fear - so they are transferring ppl like her with zero experience to the COVID ward to "cover' for them - b/c they don't want to piss them off and be even more short staffed. She also told me they stopped testing staff bc they can't afford to have ppl needing to quarantine sadly. So, it's a real mess right now.

sandy1 Aug 07, 2020 10:09 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

Not necessarily . Depends who and how far up the food chain you are.

giftedinSB Aug 07, 2020 08:51 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

If someone tested positive at your facility, don't you think that facility would notify you and all the other staff and patients?

a-1596786857 Aug 07, 2020 12:54 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

Two people died yesterday in Montecito, Summerland or Carpinteria and one today, in S.B., all three associated with a congregate living facility. Anyone know which facility or facilities?

ChemicalSuperFreak Aug 06, 2020 10:18 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

SBLETSGETALONG says:" SB is giving over 4,000 tests every day." Factually a lie. Average testing over the past 7 days is 798.

letmego Aug 07, 2020 09:43 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

4000 tests per day, what? I've been keeping a spreadsheet since end March. The single largest daily # of results we've gotten is 3189. We are not giving 4000 tests per day.

Total number of test result for SB county is still less than 82,000, from the START in March. (Over 120 days' worth). Over the last month, we've averaged a total of 1017 test results per day. (Positive, negative, inconclusive).

ChemicalSuperFreak Aug 06, 2020 09:17 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I've been studying the data and pointing out the errors for months.

a-1596770441 Aug 06, 2020 08:20 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

I don't understand it. Isla Vista is listed as having 13 new cases but only 10 active cases. How does that work?

forrealnews Aug 06, 2020 08:48 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

It takes 3-10 days to receive test results. On top of that, many people aren't tested until relatively late into their viral episode. By the time many receive results, they are no longer infectious or on the tail end.

GrammaSB Aug 06, 2020 08:02 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

SANDY1 good luck in trusting ANY #'s anywhere. The County of SB system is fractured @ the "Covid Disease Containment " level not the clerical support staff b/c they enter what is given to them from their superiors but who ever is directly under Von Reynoso there is an executive team that is paid well to do a job and follow protocols. If you are a person w/ underlying health conditions take all the precautions to protect yourself. The technical issues @ the state level is now going to be utilized to justify where they are failing our county as well as blame the lower level clerical support staff! It's wrong and it impacts the whole county on many levels. Good luck.

sandy1 Aug 07, 2020 09:33 AM
One Death and 77 New Cases

Thank you. Got labs done this morning . Todays 7 day Reff for SB CO. @ CalCAT is: 0.85. Guess I'll know in about a week.lol

a-1596814401 Aug 07, 2020 08:33 AM

Van Do-Reynoso Dept/Corp Ldr-Exec (2019) TOTAL COST TO TAXPAYERS: $289,153
Regular pay: $201,452.01
Overtime pay: $0.00
Other pay: $6,032.00
Total pay: $207,484.01
Benefits: $81,669.62
Total pay & benefits: $289,153.63
(Source: Transparent California)

sandy1 Aug 06, 2020 07:21 PM
One Death and 77 New Cases

Santa Barbara county now has lowest Ro at 0.89 (spread decreasing) in 3 months so I decided that now after 6 months I could go get my long overdue clinical labs done ( at two different clinics ) tomorrow and made 4 different Doctors appointments for 2 wks from today based on the County and State numbers. So WTF now !