Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses title=
Governor Gavin Newsom (courtesy photo)

By edhat staff

Governor Gavin Newsom announced Monday that several business sectors will once again shut down due to concerns over increasing COVID-19 cases.

Statewide closures of some indoor operations have been ordered effective immediately as well as additional indoor closures for all counties on the state's watch list, including Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

Statewide indoor closures include restaurants, bars and breweries, wineries & tasting rooms, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos and museums, and cardrooms. County watch-list indoor closures include fitness centers, places of worship, indoor protests, offices for non-critical infrastructure sectors, personal care services, hair salons and barbershops, and malls.

Regarding restaurants, outdoor dining and takeout are still allowed.

"We've made this point on multiple occasions and that is we're moving back into a modification mode of our original stay-at-home order," Newsom said.

There are currently 31 counties, approximately 80% of the state's population, on the state's monitoring list.

California reported 109,910 new cases of COVID-19 and 1,104 deaths in the last two weeks. Overall the state has more than 320,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 7,000 deaths.

The latest case count within Santa Barbara County will be posted this evening.

bigman Jul 14, 2020 12:45 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

DW2000 people can touch stuff outside too and in fact do - touch menus, railings, tables, chairs, doorknobs, walk buttons at lights - yet they are only banning indoor and not outdoor - when people touch things regardless of whether they are in or outdoors, then can touch their eyes/face. You didn't address my point.

bigman Jul 14, 2020 12:45 PM

dw2000 Jul 14, 2020 01:01 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

BIGMAN - perhaps I misunderstood your point. What is your point? People are mostly wearing masks indoors... and? Are you saying masks don't help because people are still getting sick?

racjax Jul 14, 2020 07:34 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Where are all these people without masks? Everywhere I go people are wearing masks including out of county. So why all of a sudden this shutdown? Where is the "science" indicating this is effective? And by the way, research never "proves" anything. Do we even know the exact parameters being used in the numbers? Does the entire population need the restrictions? Are there only subgroups? And before anyone goes off on me, yes I teach doctoral level research and chair quantitative dissertations. The methodology for all these numbers has been (deliberately) obscured/omitted. Is everyone using the exact same criteria for reporting? I haven't trusted any of the numbers since the beginning. There is so very much we do not know.

PitMix Jul 14, 2020 08:12 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Wow, a scientist that sounds like an anti-vaxxer! Is it your point that we can't trust any information coming from any source? Personally, the total hospitalization and total ICU numbers and resultant deaths coming out of Ventura County have been consistent from the start, so I'm willing to trust them. They show the best summary of the current problem anyway.

oceandrew Jul 14, 2020 08:26 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

RAC you sure don't sound like someone who teaches "doctoral level research and chair quantitative dissertations" (whatever that's supposed to mean, though it's meant to be impressive). And clearly you can't differentiate between a scientific paper and public information bulletins; they are not the same as you seem to expect. But go ahead and follow the lead of Kudlow and Mnuchin in politicizing public health policy.

racjax Jul 14, 2020 09:40 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

No, Oceanadrew, my noting my professional experience was not intended to be impressive. Far from it. It was to avoid flaming from those who would have said "What do YOU know about research methodology?" But, alas, someone will always find a way to respond with hostility and sarcasm. But I do know enough to not trust information as fact until I can review the methodology. Whether it is a scientific paper or a public information bulletin. Good day.

racjax Jul 14, 2020 09:46 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Pit, my post did not make any reference to the topic of vaccinations. I am not clear about your intent in using the term. Are you implying that an anti-vaxxer is in opposition to ALL vaccinations? I will say that I will not be first in line for the miracle coronovirus vaccine.

a-1594745585 Jul 14, 2020 09:53 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

PITMIX, RACJAX's point was trust, but verify. 100% in agreement with that principle. He brings a very welcome voice to these discussions.

PitMix Jul 14, 2020 10:44 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

9:53, RAC's post was all about distrust and nothing at all about verification. He hasn't trusted ANY of the numbers since the beginning. The only way that is a welcome voice is if that position supports your world view that everything is fake. Not helpful at all.

Chip of SB Jul 14, 2020 10:54 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

What??? A scientist who acknowledges the uncertainties of his data and the limitations of his methodology? Blasphemy! When a state or local official says their policy is “science based” everyone should accept it as absolute irrefutable truth. Authority should never be questioned. These “deniers” clearly don’t understand how modern “science” works.

SantaBarbaraObserver Jul 14, 2020 08:17 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Racjax and Bigman, you do realize that there is a whole world outside of your purview... just because you don't see something, (or you do), doesnt mean that whatever you are looking for isnt there (or is)... This idea that one's experiences translate to everyone's is a big part of our problem. People seem incapable of understanding that what they personally see and hear isnt what everyone else experiences. What happened to society that turned people so inward? My guess is that social media and smart phones have taken what little critical thinking was left in America and tossed it into the trash. People only want to digest what is in their chosen silo.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Social media is fast food and its eating our brains. And just like the food-stuff, if you eat fast food and junk all the time, you will get sick, you will grow fat and you will waste away into a puddle of flesh... Its not that complicated. Eat a balanced diet of food and information. It will make you a healthier and happier human. Until then, try to pay mind to other people's experiences, you'll feel less threatened by them and the world at large.

bigman Jul 14, 2020 09:17 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

SBOBSERVER what are you talking about? So far NO indoor dining has been permitted in SB and bars were closed awhile back. Every single indoor location I've been too most have been wearing masks. As for outdoors on State Street, not so much. Also I don't walk around with a smartphone or whatever it is you are assuming/projecting. So yeah, makes no sense that ppl are not wearing masks on the beach, State Street OUTSIDE - but inside, yet they close INDOOR activities [of which there have been few as the Zoo which is included, is mostly outdoors]. Tattoo places, the ones i know of - only 1 person is let in at a time. Same with estheticians [also someone I know owns a spa business], and the salons, including mine - very much limit customers and require masks. So what exactly are you talking about?

a-1594747508 Jul 14, 2020 10:25 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

SBTOWNIE what restaurants were permitting indoor dining? All the ones I've seen at least on State Street were all outdoors only. Even ones on upper state make clear they are allowing patio dining only. What restaurants have opened to indoor dining? I realize there are tons here in SB but all the ones I've called and/or gotten takeout from all said at least as of last week that their patios only were open.

LooseCannon Jul 15, 2020 06:11 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

I'm not a GOP supporter. Far from it. Lifetime socialist. I would rather see a Democratic super-majority in Sacramento than one diluted by a bunch of moronic Republicans. But Newsom's decrees smack of overreach, and they're going to piss off a lot of middle-of-the-road people and small business owners facing ruin. In right-leaning districts, Dems will be ousted by citizen-voters who feel their lives are being turned upside-down by Newsom's decrees.

SB Barbarian Jul 15, 2020 11:23 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

I am out 6 days a week. I observe as I move around, mostly around the Northside, between Mission and Five Pts. I have kept track, and for the last 10 days, 23% of the people that I have observed who were not on the bus or in a store or seated at a restaurant, indoor or out, were wearing a mask. Some who weren't were riding bikes or skateboards, which are known to combat the virus. Others were jogging, and everyone knows you can't get it or spread it if you are jogging. Some were just walking from one place to another on the sidewalk, just like me. I initiate social distancing, and most seemed either oblivious or offended. I am not rude, nor do I call them out, but I feel like they do not care about my health, or that of my family, or for theirs for that matter. It's really disappointing.

The upward curve began when this selfish, dismissive behavior started to gain steam after Memorial Day. Unless there is an enforceable fine for not wearing a mask, what's the point? If one ignorant person goes out without a mask and infects 2,10,100 others, then what's the point? If I had to pay $500 for not wearing a mask, I'd wear one even if I didn't want to. It's like drunk driving, if you think about it. If everyone who was drunk just drove all at the same time, it wold be a disaster - like COVID.

a-1594863097 Jul 15, 2020 06:31 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

SBBarbarian" The upward curve of recent "cases" is coming from Santa Maria, so your observations from your small part of Santa Barbara are not particularly germane. SB Public Health does us no good just talking "cases" and not pin pointing transmission contact routes. Therefore. any general speculation about random spreaders with no data to confirm or deny they are in fact generalized disease vectors - like non mask wearers -is nothing more than idle specultion. . Let's back off on that global mischaracterization and concentrate where specific cases actually are (very few in fact), and certainly which cases actually become medically compromised.. We should not have to keep beating the woods forthose facts at this point. Our public health experts have put on a very disappointing show, and have simply not earned their keep. Just the opposite. I say a moratorium on all paid government employees telling private sector workers they have to stop working. and give up their sources of own income. Otherwise, we are not "all in this together". Well paid government bureaucrats telling the little people where they can get off, are getting under my skin.

Pages