July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

July 4th falling over a holiday weekend may have exacerbated general criminal activity. The Santa Barbara Police Department Combined Communications Center fielded a 45% increase in calls for service when compared to the five-year average for the 4th of July. A total of fifty-one police reports were documented over the two-day period.

In all, local police addressed 475 calls for service July 4th through July 5th. Sixty of those calls were constituents worried about their neighbor launching high-powered mortar fireworks. A total of 158 calls were fireworks-related. The five-year average for fireworks-related calls is approximately 40.

Twenty calls for service reported loud house parties where revelers were not adhering to public health directives.

The City also saw a rise in violent and serious felonies during the holiday weekend – 11 total. Four of those unique felonies involved an assault with a deadly weapon. Additionally, Police responded to a hit and run with injuries in the downtown area as well as three grand theft investigations.

a-1594088764 Jul 06, 2020 07:26 PM
July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

And we didn't even bother to call on our neighborhood fireworks yahoo, because, although we'd love it if this butthole was fined up the wazoo, we figured the police had enough to do. So . . . add that creep's and so many other unreported fireworks illegal activity to the rest.

OpossumBoy Jul 06, 2020 08:34 PM
July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

Why on earth would I whine about my neighbor firing off mortars? I’d grab a six pack and head on over to his yard! And who cares if a bunch of people down the block that I don’t even know are having a party without following public health guidelines? Really guys, enjoy the variety in your fellow peeps and stop trying to police everyone’s behavior.

Luvaduck Jul 07, 2020 07:57 AM
July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

Common sense isn't common and either you care about others or you don't. Too bad there's no way to put those who consider themselves rugged individualists all in one area and let them party-hardy, pay cash for any medical treatment they require, and knock each other off, if it comes to that.

Concerned4Calif Jul 07, 2020 08:49 AM
July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

We all have to live together. We all irritate our neighbors to some degree so we can be thankful they do not report us. I listen to rock music when I work in the back yard. I am sure my neighbors can hear it. I do not call the police for endless barking dogs, or the guy who revs his motorcycle every morning at 8:00a.m. , or the neighbors insanely bright yard lights that you can see from the moon, or when their contractors start banging around before 8:00 am. etc. Some fireworks are illegal so yes you could call the police but it may a time to be tolerant neighbor.

aragorn Jul 07, 2020 09:12 AM
July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

I didn't call the police on 4th of July weekend, even though there were fireworks going off around my area. I reside close to the 1200 and 1300 block of State St.

PitMix Jul 07, 2020 09:45 AM
July Fourth Sees Spike in Police Activity

11 out of 475 calls for violent felonies. Are these the only calls that require an armed police response? In LA was more like 8% of the calls. Is there a chance to revamp the department and maybe save some money based on this data?