By Rex of SB

Can anyone identify this tree?  It’s very pretty.  It has clusters of leaves and looks kind of tropical.  I don’t think I’ve seen another tree quite like this one.  It’s in front of The Habit on S. Milpas Street and the picture was taken from The Habit patio.

ladylagomorph Jul 06, 2020 06:08 PM
Tree ID

I've always heard them called umbrella tree. They get pretty big. That one needs watering. I looked on Google, and it sure looks the same.

REX OF SB Jul 06, 2020 09:12 PM
Tree ID

Yes, PATRICK and LADYLAGOMORPH! I just googled “Australian umbrella tree” and that’s definitely what it is. Thank you! As I say, I don’t recall ever seeing another one anywhere. I wish I had room to plant one, but I just don’t. At least I now know what it is, and if I happen to be driving past it on Milpas Street with a carload of out-of-town visitors, I can dazzle them with my horticultural knowledge by saying, “oh, look, there’s a schefflera, or Australian umbrella tree.” God, I wish I had room for one.

patrick Jul 06, 2020 06:30 PM
Tree ID

I think it is a type of schefflera, possibly actinophylla, aka Star Leaf or Australian Umbrella Tree (but I might be wrong: I used the Picture This iPhone app).

a-1594102695 Jul 06, 2020 11:18 PM
Tree ID

REX. There's a Dragon tree (Dracaena draco) for sale on Craigslist-----only $100 (I bet the seller would take less). Much more exotic/cool tree than this one. Gets more splendid-looking as it ages (look online at older trees). However, also gets BIG. https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/grd/d/santa-barbara-dracaena-draco/7148287919.html

REX OF SB Jul 06, 2020 11:45 PM
Tree ID

Thanks! The only problem is that I have no room to plant one. I've already got a peach, an almond, an avocado, two palms and a datura, and there's just no room for anything else. I'd get one for my son in San Francisco, but I don't think the climate would be right for it.

twobits Jul 07, 2020 12:03 AM

a-1594132204 Jul 07, 2020 07:30 AM
Tree ID

If it's an umbrella tree, I grew up in Hemet with umbrella trees in the elementary school yard. They had some sort of very messy pod or fruit, as I recall. Waxy and squishy.

Pacific Soul Jul 07, 2020 07:35 AM
Tree ID

TWOBITS is correct with tupidanthus-calyptratus. Easy to grow here and there are quit a few around.

Abellom Jul 07, 2020 10:12 AM
Tree ID

It flowers! https://kens-nursery.com/product/xl-hawaiian-umbrella-tree-schefflera-actinophylla/

JB86 Jul 07, 2020 04:54 PM
Tree ID

We called it a Tupidanthus and had one for over 20 years in Goleta. Did great until a bad frost ruined it, and it never achieved good form again.

a-1594229777 Jul 08, 2020 10:36 AM
Tree ID

Those scheffleras are abundant downtown