Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases title=

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown displaying new signs for public spaces

By edhat staff

Santa Barbara County Public Health Officials (PHD) confirmed and additional 15 cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) on Thursday, bringing the county's total to 243.

Of the 243 total cases, 113 are recovering at home, 69 have fully recovered, 40 are hospitalized with 18 of those in the intensive care unit (ICU), 9 are pending, and 2 have died. As of Thursday, 37 healthcare workers contracted COVID-19 and are included in the total number of cases.

The 15 new cases include patients ranging in age from their 20s to 50s. PHD Director Dr. Van Do-Reynoso stated more demographic data of the cases will be available next week. Current details on each case are available here.

Of the 15 cases, 10 are inmates who contracted the infection from the outbreak at the Federal Corrections Institute in Lompoc. PHD Director Dr. Van Do-Reynoso confirmed they are in constant communication with officials at the Lompoc Prison and are consulting with officials on how to set up a medical center on prison grounds.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Brown reminded community members not to gather during the holiday weekend. He stated new signs will be posted in public parks and beaches reminding people not to congregate and to stay at least 6 feet away from one another.

Brown also emphasized the importance of recognizing domestic abuse and reporting it to authorities. "If you see or hear something, say something by calling 911," said Brown. More information about domestic violence and abuse resources can be found here.

Cottage Health Numbers

Below is a status update as of April 9, 2020.

·         Cottage Health is caring for a total of 172 patients across all campuses.

·         129 are acute care patients; 244 acute care beds remain available.

·         In surge planning, capacity is identified for adding 270 acute care beds.

·         Of the 129 patients, 13 patients are on ventilators; 47 ventilators remain available (adult, pediatric and neonatal ventilators)

·         Of the 129 patients, 13 patients are in isolation with confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis.

·         Of the 13 patients in isolation, 8 patients are in critical care.

·         Cottage has collected 1,514 cumulative test samples: 116 resulted in positive, 1,276 resulted in negative, and 122 are pending

Ventura & SLO Counties

As of Thursday, San Luis Obispo County is reporting 104 confirmed cases. Of the 104 cases, 25 are recovering at home, 75 have fully recovered, 3 are hospitalized, and 1 person has died.

Ventura County is reporting 11 new cases with 274 total cases. Of the 274, 159 are under quarantine at home, 108 have recovered, 54 cases were ever hospitalized with 18 in the ICU, and there have been 7 deaths.

Ventura County Public Health Officer Doctor Robert Levin has enhanced the Stay Well At Home Order to save lives and stop the spread of COVID-19 in the County of Ventura.

"The Stay Well At Home Order has been updated to further help save lives and protect our community. I am asking that everyone avoid leaving their homes for anything except the most urgent matters. And when you do leave, please make sure to cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering if you will be around others, maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from everyone else, and frequently wash your hands. If you are ill, please self-isolate and if you are a close contact of someone who is positive for COVID-19, please self-quarantine for 14 days," said Dr. Levin.

Xantus Apr 10, 2020 09:50 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

3000 people died today?????

stop comparing us to mega-metropolis like NewYork, NewJersey... Huston...

this is Santa Barbara. you can count our deaths using only your fingers.
get real.

Pugluvr1912 Apr 09, 2020 08:34 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

I get pissed when people don’t take things like this seriously. To quote my favorite film:

Oskar Schindler:
Look, All you have to do is tell me what it's worth to you. What's a person worth to you?

Amon Goeth:
No, no, no, No. What's one worth to you!

Shasta Guy Apr 10, 2020 06:57 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

An interesting article postulating that the low rate of of Coronavirus in California is because our state had an early exposure to the virus and “herd immunity” is already at work here. *** https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-covid-19-herd-immunity-california/6091220/ *** Back in late Jan or early Feb I got what I called the “month long cold”. It started with throat symptoms that turned into a cough, I had a fever of 99.5-100 for a day or so, I never developed any sniffles or sneezing, and I had a persistent cough for 3 weeks. A coworker had the same thing. My wife got it a week after I did. I am now wondering if that was the mild version of the virus? I’ll never know for sure unless I get the antibody test. The cough lasted so long that I was worried that if I don’t get over it then I could be extra susceptible to developing the severe form of Covid-19. When I mentioned to others about my “month long cold” several people also said that they already had it or knew someone who did.

bigone Apr 10, 2020 09:28 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

Almost the same Shasta. My wife and I both had the COVID-19 symptoms back in late January: headache for a couple of days, 99 fever day one, fever peaked at 104 day two (my wife hit 102) , dropped back to 99 by day three, started feeling fine by day four with mild dry cough and minor lung tickle that lasted about three weeks. Like you, no stomach or mucous issues at all. Many people we have met since, including neighbors, mentioned the nearly identical symptoms hitting them anywhere from mid-January to mid-March, although most of them said fever never exceeded 101. I would suspect many of us have gotten the virus but our conditions were really not that bad and obviously our antibodies and general health allowed us to recover quite quickly. I would like to think that there is some validity in the "herd immunity' theory.

Shasta Guy Apr 10, 2020 10:09 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

BigOne: Very interesting. It was not like a normal mild cold where my nose runs like a fountain for a week. It was also not like my really bad cold where I’m in bed a couple days. I took a couple days off work because I was running the mild fever. I also was very low energy. Then the dry cough persisted for three weeks. This was mid February. It would be great if the antibody test became available locally soon.

Coolio Apr 10, 2020 11:36 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

I'm sure once they start doing widespread antibody testing it will show that lots of people have had it already. My wife had something weird going on in Jan-Feb that lasted about 5 weeks. We thought it was just a bad case of bronchitis but in retrospect in could have been COVID-19.

a-1586543866 Apr 10, 2020 11:37 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

The postulation is bogus, and will be proven to be such upon widespread serum antibody testing. You can read why the idea is bunk here: https://slate.com/technology/2020/04/coronavirus-circulating-california-2019-bunk.html

EastBeach Apr 10, 2020 12:31 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

11:37 Good catch. Wonder why they chose a historian and author of "The Case for Trump" for medical expertise? There's a second video embedded in the ABC7 story. That interview features Dr. Andrew Noymer, a public health professor at UC Irvine. It closes with an attribution to Dr. Noymer .... "We don't know yet how good our immunity to COVID-19 will be or how long it will last so there are a lot of questions yet to be answered".

EastBeach Apr 10, 2020 12:39 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

Though I'll add a few co-workers have also wondered whether they've had a mild case of COVID-19. Closer to home, one of the tech companies in Goleta has quarantined some employees due to contact with another employee who reported symptoms (I don't know if that person has been tested). I hope it doesn't pan out.

a-1586552766 Apr 10, 2020 02:06 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

Europe could be close to herd immunity from coronavirus already, with far more people infected than previously thought, a controversial study in Germany has said.
Scientists studying Gangelt, the town at the centre of Germany's first big outbreak dubbed the 'German Wuhan', found as many as 15 per cent of people may have already been infected with the virus and acquired immunity.
They said yesterday they had found antibodies to the virus in people who had shown no symptoms of coronavirus, boosting hopes the spread is slowing.
If 15 per cent of people do have antibodies, Germany's actual death rate could be as low as 0.37 per cent - five times lower than the current level.

EastBeach Apr 10, 2020 03:16 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

2:06 cut/paste a paragraph from a story in the the Daily Mail. It's a UK tabloid with a reputation for publishing inaccurate and sensationalist stories (think National Enquirer). A friend from Scotland calls it "rubbish".

Potif Apr 11, 2020 03:35 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

SHASTA GUY — I would like to think you are right. And that would be great news if it is. :) HOWEVER... All the symptoms you describe sounds just like the flu I had last year, or it could have been a bad cold. In the past, I’ve often had a cough for many weeks after a cold. And, your wife coming down with it about a week later is about the right incubation period for the flu. The incubation period for the Covid19 is about two weeks. So, without some type of accurate test, you really can’t be sure what you had.

Shasta Guy Apr 11, 2020 06:54 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

The regular flu hits me a lot harder than what I had in February. Last August we took a “relaxing” family vacation in NYC. I’m a mountain-outdoors person, so each day there needed two days in the forest for recovery. On the flight home I started getting the chills, and when I got home I had a fever of 103. I had that fever for 3-4 days, and I was a wreck. There’s no telling what what I got this Feb, but it wasn’t regular flu. If antibody tests become available here, I’ll get one to satisfy my own curiosity. I have no plans of changing my behavior, and I assume everyone I meet can infect me, and every object has a sinister goal of making me sick.

Chip of SB Apr 10, 2020 12:35 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

It's a free country! You are welcome to stay home. Others are welcome to go out. You do what you think is right, and others will do what they feel is right.

Shasta Guy Apr 10, 2020 11:55 AM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

It sounds like some of you did not read the article before posting. From the article: *** The Stanford researchers tested 3,200 volunteers at three testing sites in the Bay Area. They are expected to publish the conclusions of their study in several weeks *** This is a Stanford University study of Bay Area people, and the results will be fascinating.

bigone Apr 10, 2020 01:00 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

Shasta, don't fret too much about those quoting fake news media outlets to dispute your beliefs, like the SLATE article someone mentioned in this thread. Not too burst anyone's bubble, but SLATE is rated "Far Left" in bias. How in the heck can ANYONE believe these type of "news" and "journalism" outlets any longer since their claims have been debunked so many times over at least the past four years? They are shameful op-eds supporting their agendas, nothing more. I choose to believe that many people have contracted COVID-19 and have fully recovered; based on my and others experiences with this virus, these are facts. No one is claiming complete immunity, but it is time to start considering re-opening small businesses by practicing safe measures. This virus will probably never fully disappear, like regular colds and influenza, and will probable mutate as well. If people think it will, or that a serum will be developed to prevent it, we might as well just live in our own personal caves our entire lives until we die of other causes. Jeez, we still haven't found a serum to stop SARS yet. IMHO, to treat everyone you meet or come in proximity with like a leper is insane, as is keeping our economy shut down much longer. My wife and I had COVID-19 early on - end of story for those who choose to believe travel to and from China last fall could not have possibly brought the virus to the United States far earlier than it was identified.

EastBeach Apr 10, 2020 01:11 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

I think this reports the story nicely with more details and caveats .... https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/08/coronavirus-stanford-deploys-new-test-that-tells-healthcare-workers-if-theyve-been-exposed/

Shasta Guy Apr 10, 2020 01:19 PM
Thursday Update: 243 Total Coronavirus Cases

No fretting here whatsoever. I admire people with the psychic ability to reject something before the researchers have published the data. No new hypothesis is bogus, only unproven. When Stanford, and a complimentary study being performed at USC, publishes their results we’ll see what they have to say. San Francisco is the closest thing CA has to NYC (people packed like sardines, lots of close quarter public transportation, and etc), yet the virus statistics are so completely different. Yes, CA started stay at home, social distancing before NYC, but that may not explain the super low numbers in the city of SF (only 700 positive tests with 10 fatalities). Let’s see what the Stanford Study says about what’s going up there before jumping to conclusions.

Pugluvr1912 Apr 10, 2020 01:23 PM