Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: September 17 - 23, 2017
Highway 101 closures
- Between Wednesday and Thursday nights, Highway 101 will have alternating lanes closed northbound and southbound between Bailard and Linden Avenues from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am to repair safety barrier (k-rail) and move the pile driving rig. At least one lane will remain open in each direction during the closures. The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Linden Avenue will also be closed during this work.
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Pile driving will occur for the new side supports (abutments).
- Pile driving is scheduled Thursday afternoon and Friday between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm to limit nighttime noise.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Crews will pour concrete for the columns and continue form work on the side supports (abutments).
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Via Real Bridge
- Crews will install post tension steel cable through the bridge internal supports (stems).
- Highway 101 Bridges
- Southbound bridge: Crews will install post tension steel cable through the bridge internal supports (stems).
- Northbound bridge: The concrete will be poured for the underside (soffit) and internal vertical supports (stems). Then the forms will be removed and deck work begins.
- Drainage improvements continue.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
- Crews will excavate and begin form work on footings for the new retaining wall on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. This work precedes upcoming sound wall work.
- There will be daytime closures for the Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm throughout the week to accommodate large equipment being used to construct the retaining wall between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for bridge work. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information or click here.
Upcoming Work: Fall 2017
Casitas Pass Road
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass will close for up to 2 weeks for ramp and shoulder improvements.
- The sidewalk at the corner of Linden Avenue and Ogan Road will be closed for retaining wall work. Pedestrians can use the temporary sidewalk detour on Pacific Village Drive connecting to Linden Avenue.
- Crews will repair damaged concrete panels on Highway 101 northbound and southbound lanes and ramps at night. The existing panels are degraded due to weather.
- North of Linden Avenue, behind Nipomo Drive, there will be sewer realignment work to prepare for the new sound wall. Sound wall work will continue southbound between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road as well as behind Nipomo Drive homes on northbound Highway 101.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.