By an edhat reader

January 5 - Noon - coyote stalking a cat near Alameda and Calaveras. The cat was hissing at it. We were able to scare off the coyote by following it with the car. It ran back into the Dos Pueblos baseball field on Mendocino. We spotted the cat later. S/he is okay.

January 12 - around three in the afternoon - A resident on Park Circle said her dog was barking at coyote that comes up from the park almost daily.

pxn Jan 13, 2020 11:24 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

My outdoor cats lived to 19-20 years. Outdoors in the daytime. Indoors at night. Cats love to climb trees and run around. My current cat likes to ambush the dogs. Coyotes can't readily get into the back yard.

a-1578981385 Jan 13, 2020 09:56 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

Probably 15 years ago or so, when the Goleta Valley Voice was still being published, someone wrote an article about seeing 4 coyotes trotting up 154, each with a house cat in its mouth. If you want your cats safe, keep them inside. At the very least, make sure they're inside by dusk, when the coyotes become more active.

Shasta Guy Jan 13, 2020 09:19 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

We stopped letting our cats outside several years ago for a variety of reasons. There was a time when I would hear coyotes yelping on our street in the upper east before I would hear the mission bells at 6am. Owners who let their cats out overnight should rename them CB: Coyote Bait. Sad, gruesome, grisly, but true.

Lucky 777 Jan 13, 2020 10:19 AM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

There are several dens of coyotes in Elings Park and I can report that I saw a quite healthy one hunting squirrels at Flora Vista and Valerio just last week. I don't think we ever have to worry about the coyotes, they are urban predators and able to travel long distances in the creek beds which are their freeways.

REX OF SB Jan 13, 2020 09:21 AM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

Whatever happened to the Mesa coyote? A few years ago a family moved to the Mesa from New York or somewhere and totally freaked out when they saw a coyote near the park on the Mesa across from Washington School. They. Went. Nuts. They yoweled about coyotes eating children and being a direct threat to Life As We Know It on the Mesa. The small coyote, believed to be a female, appeared well-fed—probably because some neighbors were feeding her and she was supplementing her diet with the hoards of ground squirrels in the area—and she was just content to coexist and stay out of everyone's way. There was much sturm und drang at the time, with the majority opinion siding with the coyote. There were occasional sightings, but then—nothing. I have this terrible feeling that something…"happened"…to the little coyote, at the hands of its detractors. Does anyone know?

a-1578933263 Jan 13, 2020 08:34 AM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

I just wanted to say it's easy to say that cats should stay indoors, but some really do not enjoy it, and are more outdoor cats, so let's try to be mindful of that. That being said, if your cat is fine indoors, it is a good idea to keep them indoors. Sometimes, they are just too fast in darting outside, or want/need to be outside, though. Hope everyone's animals stay safe!

a-1578959136 Jan 13, 2020 03:45 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

I fully understand that there may be some irresponsible cat owners who just don't really try to keep their cat indoors, even if the cat is perfectly fine indoors. Those owners should obviously just try a bit harder and keep their cat indoors. Just thought I'd share that there are cats who just canNOT handle staying indoors, and do need outdoor time.

a-1578958439 Jan 13, 2020 03:33 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

I'm not trying to make cat owners seem helpless- and I understand one should stick their foot out to prevent them, etc., as I do when I leave my house. At the same time, I'm just saying there are truly outdoor cats that are outdoor most of the time, and they've been that way since they were born. Some are more feral than others. Some owners try to provide a nice and warm home for them, but some cats just need outdoor time. Granted, this is a small percentage of cats, but just saying. I think it's easy to judge people online, or when you see cats roaming your neighborhood, but you just might not know the whole story- some cats might be more like "barn cats".

a-1578958431 Jan 13, 2020 03:33 PM

a-1578948247 Jan 13, 2020 12:44 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

You learn to stick your leg in the way when you open the door, so the cat can't get out. We had an escape artist. He really wanted to be outside, but he was very allergic to fleas and would get terrible skin conditions, and he had a white nose and ears, which made him susceptible to skin cancer. We managed to make him into an indoor cat, and he lived to the ripe old age of 20. Outdoor cats typically live 2-5 years.

Zenyatta19 Jan 13, 2020 09:56 AM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

Some cats are very destructive without some outdoor adventure. It’s frustrating to hear people who have their cats outside because they “ don’t want to have a litter box” or “ don’t like the cat hair” then don’t get a cat. If your cat does go outside, put on a collar with a bell, sometimes that helps warn birds in time. Make sure outdoor cats are microchipped and vaccinated. Some cats are way more savvy and can handle the outdoors. But please don’t leave them out all day and night. Be prepared that your kitty may get eaten, hit by a car, get in a fight, eat a poisoned rat from a neighbors house or never return at all. Many people are building Catios ,which are interesting and helpful if you want to give your cat outside time in a safe environment. Bottom line is be a responsible pet owner. Be aware of the dangers to outdoor cats.

PitMix Jan 13, 2020 09:34 AM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

You make it sound like cat owners are helpless to control the actions of their domesticated pets. Pretty sure that humans with their massive brains can figure out how to outsmart cats. Well-fed and bored cats are responsible for killing massive numbers of songbirds and small animals and usually don't even eat them. I like cats but prefer to leave my yard as a refuge to the many birds that visit. And my dogs help discourage the neighborhood cats from visiting.

a-1578899687 Jan 12, 2020 11:14 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

Let your cat roam and I don't know what you expect will happen. A Great-horned owl will take a cat if the cat is small enough. We stopped having cats as pets because we didn't want to keep the cats locked up indoors. It's enough that our neighbors' cats are in our yard 24/7, killing just about everything that moves in our garden. Wish a Coyote would come make a snack of these killer cats.

DBD Jan 13, 2020 09:38 AM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

My cats have probably saved me a few thousand dollars in lost plants(mainly agave and other succulents). They keep the gopher and mole population under control and since having them, I haven't lost a single succulent(...knock on wood).

Shasta Guy Jan 12, 2020 10:41 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

I am seeing bunnies in every neighborhood now. It’s only a matter of time before predators start taking advantage of the abundant food supply.

Zenyatta19 Jan 12, 2020 10:36 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

Brave kitty. But kitty is not long for this world unless the owners keep him inside. Coyotes are so intelligent and he or she will likely be back. These animals are great to have around for pest control, bad for pets who live outside. Mountain Lions, Coyotes, Foxes, Bobcats, Hawks and Raccoons can all kill a cat. Owls kill hundreds of mice a week. Possums eat ticks. These animals are all around us and we are so fortunate. We are their greatest threat. By use of poisons we destroy the whole food chain. Many studies show that Coyotes actually breed more if their numbers begin to decline. Survival of the fittest. They are one of the most adaptable predators around and will eat anything, including rotten fruit under trees, pet food and trash. Secure your home and pets to keep everyone safe.

hz Jan 12, 2020 08:15 PM
Coyotes in Goleta Neighborhoods

cat is OK for a while, coyote will be back. Coyote also seen and photographed on Primavera road area near La colina Jr. High school... Hope Nextdoor. Keep cats and small dogs inside...