Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park  title=

Photos: John Palminteri / KEYT

By edhat staff

Signs are posted around Eling's Park warning residents of a mountain lion seen in the area.

The large cat was reportedly seen on Tuesday, December 10, around 11:00 a.m. on the hillside next to the main road.

Eling's Park is surrounded by hills, residential homes, and the main roads of Las Positas and Cliff Drive.

The proper authorities have been notified.

a-1576273747 Dec 13, 2019 01:49 PM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

We stopped walking around after the sun goes down due to the theeat from mountain lions. They can clearly see you in the dark, so you'd have no chance escaping if you had one on your back while biting you in the neck area. If you see one, do not approach it...slowly back away or quickly get inside your car. A hiker friend of mine recommends carrying bear spray to thwart their attacks.

biguglystick Dec 12, 2019 12:40 PM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

What a beautiful thing! If you want a wealth of info on mountain lions (fascinating beautiful creatures!!!) please vist the Mountain Lion Foundation .o r g There you can find info all about America's Lion! WOW! so cool. I live right by Las Pasitas Park and I'd give anything to catch a glimpse of a mountain lion. DON'T USE RODENTCIDES!!! Please.

PitMix Dec 12, 2019 11:47 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

From Elings, if they can cross Las Positas successfully, they can get through Hope Ranch to More Mesa in a range which is limited only by the 217. So this one has a pretty big area to use. Stay away from rodenticides, big guy!

oceandrew Dec 12, 2019 11:06 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

I like the drawing depicting the difference between a bobcat and a mountain lion, though I wish they'd also drawn something more relatable besides these two to better appreciate the scale... a house cat for instance.

LCP112233 Dec 12, 2019 12:51 PM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

FYI-Young mountain lions look a little like the bobcat. Only with a long tail. I saw one once, thought it was a bobcat until it turned around and we saw the long tail. We backed away slowly and took another route.

Sal15puedes Dec 12, 2019 10:48 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

Many years ago I saw a mountain lion in the wild, from my car, about 10 feet from me - he/she(?) looked right at me as if to say "what are you doing in my back yard" and padded calmly off into the woods. Definitely the coolest animal I've ever seen, even cooler than Denzel Washington. And with an instinctive knowledge of all your major arteries.

PitMix Dec 12, 2019 11:44 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

A long time ago during a temp job loading trucks I talked to a trucker who used to be a big hunter. He said he gave it up after he watched a mountain lion sprinting across an open field and was struck by how beautiful that sight was. That conversation gave me a lot of hope.

Flicka Dec 12, 2019 10:34 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

Good thing there is a photo. It often happens on here when someone reports seeing a Mountain Lion one or more posters claim the cat was actually a bob cat and the person reporting doesn't know the difference.

a-1576138988 Dec 12, 2019 12:23 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

Depending on whether it's a male or female, they can have up to an 80 square mile territory. If you live anywhere close, this pretty kitty could be in your yard right now.

millimesa Dec 11, 2019 06:52 PM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

Amazing he/she can be seen so rarely. Living on the Mesa the largest wildlife I’ve seen in urban have been a deer on Mesa lane and a large coyote on Mohawk rd.

Z Dec 12, 2019 07:29 AM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

Got deer? Mountain lions are somewhere near. Remember the three second rule: ifn you see a lion for three seconds, it's seen you for three hours.

a-1576113371 Dec 11, 2019 05:16 PM
Mountain Lion Spotted at Eling's Park

Several years back aquaintances who live up on the hill right behind Elings Park "lost" their tiny Chihuahua to a Coyote. Broad daylight and the Coyote rushed into their yard, snatched the dog by the head and . . . Yep. There's wildlife in those hills and some of that wildlife is predatory. Big Cat we wish you well. Please don't do anything that would make you a target for elimination. Please.