By an edhat reader

Have others received an email from Cox stating that they need to update their email settings by December 11 or they might have a "disruption" in their email service. There is nothing on the Cox webpage about this. No links in the email, but a phone number which checks out as correct.

Flicka Nov 22, 2019 09:57 AM
Cox email settings update?

Roger, A few years ago I got a message asking if I wanted Windows 10. I pressed the X to get out of it and they just atomically loaded up Windows 10. It was a mess adjusting to it but my husband helped and it's works just fine.

TJTom Nov 22, 2019 09:34 AM
Cox email settings update?

The other recent discussion about the problems with the Cox email service is available at https://www.edhat.com/news/cox-announces-cutback-of-email-service

mtndriver Nov 22, 2019 09:08 AM
Cox email settings update?

OP here. Got info on the Cox website, but it’s nothing new, really—same settings necessary as a year ago. Cox is not offering new email accounts, but will continue to support old ones—that was announced months ago. Probably won’t support them very well, I would guess! Just make sure your port settings are up to date. If you’ve been using Cox for many years, migrating everything to a different platform is a barrel of fun—not. All those log-ins, on all those websites. Sigh.

Thomas John Nov 22, 2019 07:18 AM
Cox email settings update?

I understand not wanting to change emails all the time - but why would anyone still use a cox email address when there are so many free ones?

EastBeach Nov 22, 2019 09:31 PM
Cox email settings update?

One reason is Cox offers POP-based email (non-web-based email). If you care about privacy and not having your email out in the cloud, then it can be an attractive option. While using POP, you can still use Cox's web interface to send email and read email that you haven't already downloaded off their server. Microsoft Outlook users will be familiar with POP-based email.

mtndriver Nov 22, 2019 09:17 AM
Cox email settings update?

Cox is as free as any other. You have to pay for internet service, no matter which email platform you use. There’s no extra charge for cox email If you get your internet through them. And they’re the only cable internet provider in town, fastest by far. Their email was happening before gmail existed. Who knew they would bail?

pxn Nov 21, 2019 07:04 PM
Cox email settings update?

I would ignore any email message. It is likely just a phishing attempt to get your user name and password. If you're worried about this, call cox, or stop by their office.

Roger Nov 21, 2019 05:30 PM
Cox email settings update?

Something about no more windows 7 and if that is the case I'm in deep poopoo..

CS805 Nov 22, 2019 07:56 AM
Cox email settings update?

Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 for free on January 14, 2020. This is related.

patrick Nov 21, 2019 04:14 PM
Cox email settings update?

I thought I had heard somewhere that Cox was discontinuing their email service at some point in time. I can't remember when that was going to happen (or maybe I just dreamt it).

SoCalMommy Nov 21, 2019 04:17 PM
Cox email settings update?

I remember this, too. I *think* it said it would be effective in January?