Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Vehicle vs Bicyclist in the 3000 Block of De La Vina, the vehicle took off.

sb_roundabout Nov 15, 2019 11:01 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

I commute by bike and I personally do not ride DLV, Anacapa or any of the one way streets without a designated bike lane, there just isn't enough room and the speeds are high. If I can't use State (yes, it's a lot slower, and Farmer's on tues makes a commute on bike harder), I'll try and go over a few blocks east or west and use those streets.

Roger Nov 15, 2019 09:56 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

I used to ride DLV because it was down hill without too many lights you could pretty much fly but you have to be friggen crazy to ride a bike or any other un motorized vehicle on it. I ate it several times on DLV one time broadsided a Buick putting a nice dent in the side, I took out someones door too when they opened it.

Roger Nov 16, 2019 08:09 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Me and the bike were fine car was pretty messed up I smooshed acouple of cars when I rode bicycles this was like 35 years ago kids do dumb things like ride down Carrillo Hill with no brakes I'll never do that again.

Roger Nov 15, 2019 05:55 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

This person drove away with their car door open I weighed about 225 back then it actually happened on DLV.

jqb Nov 15, 2019 05:14 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

So maybe it's opening a car door without looking that's crazy. I gotta fess up: years ago I was riding downhill on Gayley Ave. during rush hour with lots of cars heading out of UCLA. I looked at the parked cars down the road and was uncomfortable that one had tinted windows that I couldn't see into, but I had to focus on not getting run over by the moving cars inches to my left … my focus switched back suddenly when the guy sitting in the driver's seat of that parked car flung his door open so fast just as I came up to it that I didn't even have time to react and hit it broadside full force … my wheel rode up the door and I fell over with a slightly scraped knee, but the door was bent at about a 75 degree angle. The guy tried to bend his door back with his bare hands, which of course was ridiculous, and then stared at my bike which seemed unharmed (it was actually about 6" shorter because the fork had bent). He handed me his management consultant business card -- I should have sued his pants off but I figured he had suffered enough … there's no way he could have driven the car away with the door sticking out; I'm sure he had to have it towed.

Roger Nov 15, 2019 04:38 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Will the dummy should have looked before opening their car door, I bet they looked after that it was really kinda funny watching them drive away with the door stuck to the fender.

jqb Nov 15, 2019 10:45 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

P.S. My 9:39 comment was a response to a now deleted comment, not to Roger's later comment. As for Roger's similar comment -- no, you don't have to be crazy to ride a bike on DLV, but probably should not "fly" down it with reckless abandon, taking out someone's door.

jqb Nov 15, 2019 09:39 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Hit and run is a felony. Excusing that and attacking cyclists instead contributes to the perception that drivers are stupid, evil, and dishonest criminals.

jqb Nov 15, 2019 09:35 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Hit and run is a felony ... and yet once again we people here attacking bicyclists, and others upvoting the attack.

Gergoyle Nov 15, 2019 06:51 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Drivers need to be more aware of cyclists this time of year. A lot of people commute to work via bike.

Gergoyle Nov 16, 2019 07:38 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

@D8VANILLA - Do you really think this could have been the fault of the cyclist, who was a victim of a hit and run? Why are you quick to judge the actions of the cyclist, rather than the driver with the information provided? There are a lot more erratic drivers out there than cyclists based on sheer volume alone.

d8vanilla Nov 15, 2019 12:51 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Well, yes, drivers need to be more aware of their surroundings, BUT you left out, that bicyclists need to be more aware also...... @Gergoyle 06:51am I try and stay clear of bicyclists, because they are so erratic, careless & blind to their surroundings.

a-1575896543 Nov 14, 2019 06:58 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Hey Roger any word on accident Southbound 101 by Carrillo? Traffic at a standstill. Sorry for wrong thread. Stuck in traffic!

a-1575896543 Nov 14, 2019 06:27 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

I saw a bicyclist get hit here, once, when I was walking myself to school (Peabody). I couldn’t have been more than 7 yrs old. The bicyclist was riding their bike up (north?) De La Vina and a car, making a right turn, hit them and knocked them off their bike. That was at least 41 years ago.

jqb Nov 15, 2019 09:31 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

The law requires you to give bicyclists 3 feet of clearance. If you had a close call because of a bicyclist swerving or riding on the line (often necessary because of road conditions) then you were breaking the law.

jqb Nov 15, 2019 09:29 AM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Bicyclists are "supposed" to use any road that isn't explicitly marked to disallow them. Please learn the law and stop excusing criminal drivers.

jimbo212 Nov 14, 2019 08:45 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

The 3000 block of De La Vina does have a bike lane. In both directions. Please don’t spread FUD

Roger Nov 14, 2019 05:48 PM
Bicyclist Injured in Hit and Run

Suspect last seen Southbound on State street a lite colored SUV possible a Toyota Rav 4..