By an edhat reader

I hadn't heard this call mentioned yet. I received two calls yesterday (same number Washington DC area code 202) and one (844 area code), so far, today on my cell phone. Here is the message:

" Number has been used for some kind of fraudulent activities in the south border of Texas so please in order go ahead get more information to speak with an officer press 1, I repeat press 1. Thank you and have a great day. "

If I don't know the number, I've stopped picking up.

loraine84 Jul 21, 2019 01:32 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

About 5 years ago I received a very unwanted, scary call, before these calls were common. So I bought it and I ended up tearing out of my driveway to retrieve money ($800) from my checking account, and dashing to the nearest Western Union outlet to transfer the cash to an account to who knows where They were on my cell phone guiding me the whole time, all this, so I wouldn't "be arrested" that day. LUCKILY for me, the Western Union guy clued me in, had seen many of these bogus transactions and refused to send it. I handed him my cell phone and said "tell them!", and of course they hung up.

d8vanilla Jul 20, 2019 10:21 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

You can call the # that shows on your caller ID, but put the *67 first.... this will block YOUR phone # from showing up on their screen. ... Probably 80% of the calls I call back, there's a recording that the number I dialed is no longer in service ... or some other recorded message. If some guy answers with bad English, then I will either, put my phone up to the radio and blast... whatever you choose.... OR, I will SCREAM as loud as I can into the receiver.... releases a lot of my stress !!!!

shorebird Jul 20, 2019 07:23 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

If you have any questions about a phone number go to the website 800notes.com and see if anyone else has posted information about it. It’s not just for 800 numbers. I have found information there to guide me to block known spam callers and texters. Lately getting texts from spam email addresses. I’m blocking them but unsure if it’s working yet.

a-1566249811 Jul 20, 2019 06:35 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

We keep the volume turned off on our landline, so we don't hear it ring. We figure if it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a voice mail (and sometimes those are spam, as well). Everyone important in our lives knows to call our cell phones to reach us.

oceandrew Jul 20, 2019 03:27 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

You'd think they'd hire a proper english speaker for their outgoing message or at least a copy editor. Any "official" notification should at least sound professional. But hey, if their tell is so obvious it's easier to ignore them.

a-1566249811 Jul 20, 2019 03:57 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

Sadly, usually that is on purpose. They WANT unsuspecting or dumb people to call back. Using poor grammar means that only the most gullible, and most likely to be scammed, call back. It's about the qualities of the scammed person, not the quantity.

a-1566249811 Jul 20, 2019 03:25 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

My only recent robocalls have been two in the past week from some "We want to help you with your Microsoft"- based calls. What frosts me is when I run for my landline, because I'm expecting an important call-----and then it's these bozos. There's nothing Microsoft-related in our house.

a-1566249811 Jul 20, 2019 03:22 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

If this makes you feel any better: "The Senate overwhelmingly passes legislation to stop robocalls. The Senate voted Thursday in favor of bipartisan legislation to help stop annoying robocalls on your phone. The Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act passed 97-1 and had more than 80 co-sponsors.May 23, 2019"

mtndriver Jul 20, 2019 07:16 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

My understanding of this bill is that it’s voluntary on the part of the phone companies. They don’t have to implement it. Why should they? Lots of profit from robocalls! Good for the economy, boosting profits! Ugh.

a-1566249811 Jul 20, 2019 03:21 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

That's a new on me. They will use fake ph. #s to make them look local. Recently my husband saw one come in and the # listed as the caller was our own #. One I saw that looked like it came from Carp I redialed and the message was the # had been disconnected. We just don't pick up any unknown calls.

a-1566249811 Jul 20, 2019 03:05 PM
Is anyone else getting this call?

These unwanted calls are disruptive and with a sideline business, I must answer most calls. One would think there'd be a solution, but who has deeper pockets, more influence - the people who receive these calls or the slick operators who foist their calls on us?