Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: October 14 - 20, 2018
**Emergency Repair: The Highway 101 southbound slow lane will be closed Friday, October 12th, from 10:00 am to noon between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. Crews will replace sand filled safety devices along southbound Highway 101 near the Linden Avenue Overcrossing that were damaged in a traffic accident. The Highway 101 southbound off-ramps at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will remain open during work.
** Nighttime freeway fast lane closures throughout the week and daytime closures of the northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will allow for the installation of Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement for the new northbound on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road and work in the median. Please see details below.**
Freeway & Ramp Closures
- Highway 101 will have the following closures between Linden and Bailard Avenues
- Sunday night, October 14th
- The northbound and southbound Highway 101 fast lanes will be closed starting at 9:00 pm. The northbound fast lane will reopen by 5:00 am, and the southbound fast lane will reopen by 7:00 am.
- Monday through Thursday nights, October 15th - 18th
- The northbound and southbound Highway 101 fast lane will be closed starting at 8:00 pm. The northbound fast lane will reopen by 5:00 am daily, and the southbound fast lane will reopen by 7:00 am daily.
- One freeway lane will remain open in each direction during the lane closures.
- Sunday night, October 14th
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Near Linden Avenue and Ogan Road, the Gas Company is relocating a gas line to accommodate improved freeway drainage facilities.
- Work continues on the side supports (abutments) for the remaining width of the new overcrossing.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Crews will continue work on the new median piles. Work will occur nightly. Please see lane closures listed above.
- Wood formwork, rebar installation, and concrete pours continue for the side supports (abutments) and wing walls.
- New northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will continue installing Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement on the new on-ramp. Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement is a quieter roadway surface due to the lack of horizontal seams across the lanes.
- Carpinteria Creek Bridges (northbound and southbound Highway 101)
- Northbound bridge
- Work continues on the final bridge finishes.
- Southbound bridge
- Crews will work on the approach areas for the new bridge.
- Northbound bridge
- Crews will continue to grade and improve Carpinteria Creek under the new Highway 101 bridges. Willow trees are are being planted along with new drainage improvements.
- The northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road and Via Real between Casitas Pass Road and Vallecito will be closed from Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm daily to allow crews to place rebar for the new northbound on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road. During this work, northbound Highway 101 can be accessed via detours on Casitas Pass Road, Carpinteria Avenue, and Linden Avenue.
- Frontier Communications will be splicing and running new communications cable on Via Real and Vallecito Road throughout the week.
Upcoming Work: fall/winter
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close for up to 1 month. Detour maps can be viewed at SBROADS.com.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction began in fall 2016 and will run through 2019 based on an accelerated schedule. The accelerated schedule is dependent on weather and utility relocations and moves the completion date from the end of 2020 to 2019.
Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.