Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach

Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach title=
Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach
(Photos: SBCFD)
Update by edhat staff
10:12 a.m., April 21, 2018

A fully clothed woman who was deemed uncooperative was rescued in the ocean off Goleta Beach on Saturday morning.

At 8:32 a.m., Santa Barbara County firefighters responded to the west end of Goleta Beach for a reported water rescue. They discovered a fully clothed 44-year-old woman in the water, with a civilian paddle boarder attempting to help.

A rescue swimmer was sent in to make contact with the woman as a small private boat nearby joined to help. The woman in distress was taken to the boat, which then transferred her to Goleta Pier for further evaluation.

Santa Barbara County Fire Department Public Information Officer Mike Eliason reports the woman was uncooperative with firefighters and a Sheriff's Deputy was called out to assist. After further evaluation, the woman was transferred to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital via ground ambulance.

It is unknown how or why the woman entered the water or how far she was off shore.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
8:29 a.m., April 21, 2018

Water Rescue on Goleta Beach.

CManSB Apr 23, 2018 10:35 AM
Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach

Hats off to the real hero off this story Brian Zimmerman who just happened to be out on his ORCA powerboat that day. I wish you had told the real story; he heard the screams for help and saw people on the cliff waving and steered his powerboat to the location and then got on his kayak and paddled over to the women who was fully clothed in the water and about 40 yards offshore. Keep in mind the water temp is in the mid 50's right now , he said she was completely incoherent and shaking and at that point he grabbed her by the top of her shirt and her pants and pulled her onto the kayak while he paddled behind her like a surfboard talking to her calming her down. Once he got to the boat his he and his wife got her onto the swim-step and got towels on her to warm her up and brought her back into the stern, it was at that point they contacted the fire department and they were told to bring her to Goleta Pier. He fried up the boat and raced over to pier where the Fire Department were waiting, that's when the rescue swimmer came on board the boat to pull the women up in the basket. Brian Zimmerman is along time Santa Barbara Waterman that can now add life saving rescue to his list of accomplishments, I just wish someone had told his story too....

a-1527003925 Apr 21, 2018 01:52 PM
Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach

Roger, do you have anymore information about the victim? I was on campus this morning and saw a woman from afar walking in my direction. I couldn't really get a great view of her, but she just looked like a student or community member who I sometimes see walking their dogs or just strolling through. There was a small grassy hill obstructing my view, but I noticed her walking along this hill. When she got to the top, she clapped her hands and just took off, sprinting toward me. My first thought was that she was walking a puppy and was trying to get it to follow her. But then as she got farther from the hill and closer to me, I noticed nothing following her. She was running straight toward me, and so I grabbed tightly onto my own dog's leash and just watched her, still thinking maybe she needed my help or something. She got within reaching distance of me, barely even looked at me. I tried to make eye contact with her, but she barely looked at me, and I could tell she was so out of her mind that she probably didn't even register that I was human or even there at all. It was simultaneously quite sad and unnerving. She continued to run, slowing down about 40 yards away from me, finally hunching over and resting her hands on her knees in exhaustion. She never looked at me or said anything to me. I just walked away, sure that she was on drugs. Now I think it's quite possible she could have taken a dive into the ocean with the state of mind that she was in.

a-1527003925 Apr 21, 2018 03:39 PM
Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach

Hindsight is always 20/20. You really had no way of knowing what was going on with this person. There's no reason to beat yourself up over this life experience.

a-1527003925 Apr 21, 2018 01:55 PM
Woman Rescued in the Ocean Off Goleta Beach

So I just searched Goleta Beach on Twitter and found this article: https://www.noozhawk.com/article/woman_in_distress_rescued_from_ocean_at_goleta_beach I suspect it was the same woman. I now wonder if I should have done something. Is it appropriate for me to call the police in that situation? She was probably high on something, but I just thought I would be wasting the police's time if I called.