By an edhat reader

Just discovered this black bear while metal detecting right by the southbound Fairview on-ramp! I've heard tell recently of chickens being attacked by a bear near Fairview foothills. Maybe this is the culprit! It's sad though, he's a big one!

Jenatmesa Oct 05, 2022 09:09 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

Hi Eli. I was the last driver to stop. I gave you a hug. Maybe I have to get a Twitter account to see that dashcam video. I watched the whole thing as I came down the Fairview on ramp. That's why I had a bird's eye view. Truly unbelievable rare SB occurrence. Saddened that the bear didn't survive, but glad you were OK.

Jenatmesa Oct 03, 2022 01:55 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

The driver of the Ford Fusion that had the misfortune to hit the bear head on was very shaken. His car didn't not seem drivable. He did attempt to miss the bear, but there was no time to avoid it. We were all stunned and very concerned for the bear. It was just not what any of us expected that afternoon. Our 911 call was for the bear and a tow truck. No injuries by motorists.

Jenatmesa Oct 03, 2022 10:26 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

I watched this bear successfully cross the northbound lanes and jump over the divide into southbound lanes. Traffic and the bear were moving fast. The driver was not able to stop or move out of the bear's path in time. Upon impact the bear rolled into two more lanes. The next two driver's had time to brake and swerve. The large bear then quickly rallied to his feet and ran into the trees and bushes on the southbound shoulder. Several cars involved stopped. After checking on the driver of the car that made full head-on contact, we called 911 to notify them of the injured bear. I stayed on the scene long enough to show where the black bear entered the brush, then I was asked to leave by the officer holding a shotgun. Due to the uncertainty of the bear's condition, everyone was asked to get back into their cars. I left the scene under the impression that the hwy patrol would notify wildlife. I was surprised to see this post showing that the bear was left behind. The entire incident occurred about 4:30pm Saturday Oct. 1.

Babycakes Oct 03, 2022 10:45 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

JenaTMesa: Thank you so much for providing first-hand detailed background information on what exactly happened to this bear. Quite amazing that this extremely powerful animal was able to get back to its feet after getting hit squarely by a 5000 lb. vehicle travelling at freeway speed. Very nice of you to care enough to call and report. Some years back a local animal "rescue" group decided to allow a seal to fall out of their rescue vehicle onto the 101 freeway. The seal ended up in the center divider area. Not sure what happened to the seal, but it's a lesson to leave the rescuing up to the professionals and not to the folks heading up the local amateur clown hour (although I'm sure their intentions were in the right place).

ZeroHawk Oct 03, 2022 09:02 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

why are some of you so freaked out because....nature happens to be...happening? we encroached on their habitats. so they encroach back. this land is theirs. the black bear was looking for food because it was hungry. you can't understand that? chickens make for a great meal too. the thing about coyotes. look, if you live in the foothills, that is their territory and will always be theirs. you can move to the inner city and avoid wildlife if it's such a big concern. i mean if you're that concerned, i'd just i'd suggest watching your little toy dogs too, birds of prey can and will snatch them and carry them off. it happens. often.

a-1664884914 Oct 04, 2022 05:01 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

Zero, just want to add that coyotes are *everywhere*, including downtown. Everyone's pets are at risk.
If you want to protect your pets, keep them inside. Don't even let them into the yard late at night -- that's how my mother lost their dog. She insisted. She was somewhat brain- and thought-impaired. That condition can only be fought so long and so hard. It only takes a few seconds for a coyote to make off with a dog or cat.

Babycakes Oct 03, 2022 07:30 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

Please, please, please people: If you see a bear, report it to Fish & Game immediately. The sooner they can relocate the bear, the better for everyone. I know people who have tried baiting bear (with donuts) just so they could get a photo. Maybe this seems like a good idea, but it really isn't. My father used to say, "a fed bear is a dead bear." This means that as a bear becomes accustomed to being fed, they eventually have to be put down because they turn into "nuisance" bears. As bear populations continue to increase, there are more and more interactions. The "interactions" with automobiles/trucks/etc. do not usually end up well, as the case with the now-deceased bear. Rest in peace sweet bear in the land where rivers of honey flow.

Babycakes Oct 03, 2022 04:57 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

SacJon: I have never in my life heard of anyone chumming for fish, including GWs, with donuts/sweets/junk food. For the most part, chumming is done with fish blood/guts/bits, but I suppose the adventurous might want to try the donuts as you have suggested (I believe that is what you are suggesting). The movie "Jaws" really did a number on the public psyche...including mine, but I got over it (sharks are not...repeat NOT....looking to eat you...or donuts for that matter!!! LOL!!!).

sacjon Oct 03, 2022 02:04 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

"I know people who have tried baiting bear (with donuts) just so they could get a photo. Maybe this seems like a good idea, but it really isn't. " - similar to people chumming the water in order to attract great white sharks to photo or catch.

AwareHuman Oct 02, 2022 11:41 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

Just for a few chickens??? So stupidly wrong...and mean.. Let them eat! A big , beautiful bear...tragic. I would let the bear eat my chickens.

a-1664779709 Oct 02, 2022 11:48 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

People are attached to their chickens. Aside from attachment, the chickens belong to them, and provide eggs and meat. People do what they can to protect their chickens -- at least most owners do.
And whatever you're saying makes it sound like someone killed this bear because it took advantage and ate!

IT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN KILLED BY BEING HIT BY A CAR.

Apologies for all caps, but AwareHuman may be missing that point.

macpuzl Oct 02, 2022 07:50 PM

I'm surprised it's still there. The CHP posted this on Saturday:

Incident: 00210 Type: Live or Dead Animal Location: US101 S / FAIRVIEW AVE Loc Desc: SB JSO Lat/Lon: 34.439183 -119.832422
Detail Information
5:33 PM 7 [26] SBSO LL ADVISING CHUMASH ENRT TO PICK UP BEAR / UNK ETA // WILL RECALL WHEN THEY ARE CLOSE // MAY NEED CHP TO 1198 FOR 1184
4:44 PM 6 [24] B29-240 LOCATED BEAR ON RS IN BRUSH // BEAR APPEARS TO BE 1144 WAITING FOR FISH AND GAME
4:23 PM 5 [16] INV'D IN BLU FORD FUSION TO RS
4:23 PM 4 [15] [Notification] [CHP]-BEAR GOT UP AND WALKED INTO BRUSH OFF RS [Shared]
4:21 PM 3 [10] 1039 A/C NB FV OFR
4:19 PM 2 [4] NOW RUNNING UP OFR TO NB 101
4:18 PM 1 [6] [Appended, 16:19:15] [1] BEAR RUNNING LNS

I was out in my driveway observing an asteroid occultation on Thursday morning at 2:30 AM when this bear (I assume) came walking up the street after killing and eating a neighbor's chickens about 45 minutes earlier. He wasn't hungry enough to eat me, so pretty much just ambled over to the opposite sidewalk and continued uphill. I called 911, they transferred me to Fire, and they notified Animal Control.

a-1664884566 Oct 04, 2022 04:56 AM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

12:34: inform Fish & Game and/or Animal Control. They can search and put the animal down if it's still alive and suffering from terminal injuries.

a-1664779495 Oct 02, 2022 11:44 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

Damn. Only going to get worse, hunger and thirst for wild animals. I regularly hear a coyote pack many blocks away from me, on the foothill side of Foothill. I heard a kill the other night on my street. That's just one instance.

KEEP YOUR PETS INSIDE ALL THE TIME. Cats and dogs.

GeneralTree Oct 02, 2022 07:46 PM
Black Bear Found Deceased Off 101 at Fairview

That's sad - I love bears and know there pretty close around us. I'll have to look at Google maps to see how it got there seems like an odd spot for a bear.