Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision title=
Photo: Santa Barbara County Fire Department (SBCFD)

By the edhat staff

Santa Barbara County firefighters rescued a deer hunter who crashed their ATV in the Los Padres National Forest.

At 1:13 a.m. Saturday, fire crews, Santa Barbara County Search & Rescue, and a ground ambulance responded to a report of an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) crashing over the side of a mountain road in the Upper Oso area of the Los Padres National Forest.

When crews arrived they discovered a male had fallen aproximately 80 to 100 feet and sustained a severe leg injury.

The hunter had apparently crashed and fired his gun to signal help. He was then discovered by other hunters who used a lowering cable and secured the victim on a ledge before leaving to get help, reports to the Santa Barbara County Fire Department (SBCFD).

Teams on the scene decided a rope rescue system would be needed to bring the male patient to the roadway. EMT's and paramedics assessed the injury, packaged the patient on a backboard, and hauled him up to the road, reports Search and Rescue.

An AMR ambulance then transferred the patient to Santa Barbara Cottage Hosptial for treatment.

SAR photo

a-1660424707 Aug 13, 2022 02:05 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

Oh come on. Do you eat meat or dairy? Those animals are subject to FAR worse than what hunters do to individual animals. I would never, ever hunt, I do not and will not ever understand the 'want' to hunt in the 21st century, and I would never own a gun...but I fully support that people have this hobby. By and large, hunters aren't only doing it for sport, they use/sell the hides and eat/sell the meat. Save your ill-will for capitalistic meat companies, they are the true evil when it comes to killing animals.

Exception66 Aug 14, 2022 05:06 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

@GETOFFMYLAWN, Do you believe that people who don't align with your personal ideology deserve physical harm? If I misinterpreted your comment, please elaborate.

Basicinfo805 Aug 13, 2022 04:17 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

No kidding. The first two comments are hypocritical. Think about it.

What I would’ve said is “dude, why in the hell were you riding an ATV in the middle of the night??”

That’s just me.

mm1970 Aug 15, 2022 09:35 AM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

Basically came here to say that. I have no issues with hunting (I grew up in the northeast, it's a common way to make sure you have enough food for the winter.)

But on an ATV? (My family owns ATVs too, but they don't use them for hunting!)

Basicinfo805 Aug 14, 2022 02:53 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

Welcome to Edhat SB - and I’m glad we have it - heavy on the liberal always freshly-car washed Tesla owners that get their meat delivered to their house, trying to call out someone for actually hunting to put a bit of food on the table.

ParvoPup Aug 14, 2022 04:15 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

Firstly, if you are blasting around on your Texas Wheelchair and calling that "hunting" - you are full of it.

Hunting is the quiet and hopefully unnoticed insertion of your self into the environment without noise or machines. You sit, you listen, you stalk and maybe, just maybe, you bring home the bacon.

I spend half my year in the Sierra and watch these ATV yahoos blasting around reverberating off the canyon walls for hours each day and night only to have them tell me that there is nothing around here.

Really Rambo? How about you turn off the engine and sit a while - you would be amazed what shows up.

Seabird Aug 14, 2022 04:30 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

I only know a couple of hunters (of deer and elk) and they are responsible. They track the animal for sometimes days, making sure that it doesn't have any young. They shoot with the intention to kill instantly and not cause suffering. The ones that I know, hunt at the most 2 per season, and portion every last ounce of the animal fit for consumption to provide to family and friends, and give the skins to local artisans for use. Compare this with the millions of cows, chickens, etc that are "farmed" in HORRID conditions so that we can have as much meat, milk, eggs and cheese. I would much rather eat meat from a responsible hunter than what's provided in grocery stores. Nightmare life, nightmare death for those poor animals - and yet how much meat and dairy do most anti-hunting folks consume daily, without giving it a second thought? Stop and think about it.

JonStowe1 Aug 15, 2022 04:52 AM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

come on donkey, thats why you cook the meat before you eat it. I dont think any hunter is trying to make deer sushi

a-1660595555 Aug 15, 2022 01:32 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

Showing you know nothing about parasites and pathogens if you think cooking makes a difference for most. Here's a clue - You don't just interact with the animal by eating it.

forrealnews Aug 14, 2022 10:03 PM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

Favorite video of a hunter getting beat up by a deer. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaTCz96y68

Babycakes Aug 15, 2022 10:10 AM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

ForRealNews: Thank you for posting this video and thank you Edhat for allowing the link to remain available for all to view. It provides visual evidence to all that when the table is turned on hunters who happily kill helpless animals, that the animals can fight back. There are any number of equally educational vids of tourists getting what the deserve at Yellowstone (mostly people getting too close to Bison....then these people wonder why they get the horn!).

montecito_matt Aug 15, 2022 08:42 AM
Deer Hunter Rescued in ATV Collision

I came here for the veggie tales, herbage rants and unrealistic hunting ideologies. You folks are too much but I love the healthy debate. - In all sincerity, I hope that the rider is recovering well and is back out soon enough being a steward of the land and enjoying the outdoors more than being an everyday armchair curmudgeon. Enjoy!