By Scanner Andrew
6:53 p.m., October 4, 2021

Reporting incidents across Santa Barbara County.

(follow along in the comments below)

By Rose & Crown

Crazy lightning storm rolled in, I had enough time to take the drone out just before it got too rainy.

By Beverly C.

I have never experienced a storm like this one in my 33.5 years in Santa Barbara, 40 % chance of rain and a quick, loud WOW storm.

Photo by John Wiley

Here's a pic to the West toward Goleta at sunset as the lightning was getting intense over SB.

Photos by Ryan Doordan

Here was the rain show as Alaska flight 2131 approached Santa Barbara this evening. This was shot with iPhone 12Pro max.

By an edhat reader

Rainbow downtown

By Michelle C.

Joyful photos from Monday's Storm

By MessyJessy

Lightning videos from my bedroom window in Goleta. These videos are actually in slow motion so you really get the full effect!

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:24 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

"How are hurricanes an example of climate change?"

I guess that the voice of stupidity, ignorance, and dishonesty has a broken "g" key so he can't use google:

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:26 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

"How is this an example of climate change? "

Um, "Thunderstorms in October, while ==>rare<== in SB"

Climate change is largely seen in extremes becoming more frequent and common.

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 11:29 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

MARCEL - so last night's thunderstorm was an "example of climate change?" I'm 100% believer in climate change, but not sure a thunderstorm in the Fall is one such example. I was questioning 9:51's comment blaming this on climate change.

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:38 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

It takes a considerable amount of scientific research to attribute an *individual* weather event to global warming and the climate change it produces, so the question of whether *this* storm was "an example of climate change" cannot be immediately answered: https://insideclimatenews.org/news/15092016/faster-attribution-studies-scientists-zero-climate-change-role-louisiana-floods-downpours/

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:44 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

"so last night's thunderstorm was an "example of climate change?" -- Did I say that? No, I didn't. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, maybe it was in part. "I'm 100% believer in climate change" -- It's not religion, it's science. "but not sure a thunderstorm in the Fall is one such example." -- Did I say I'm sure it's one such example? No I didn't. "I was questioning 9:51's comment blaming this on climate change." -- They affirmed it, you denied it. Neither of you is on sound scientific footing ... but climate change being a factor is quite likely.

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 11:46 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

MARCELK - I guess I don't understand the point of your 11:26 comment then. I acknowledge they're rare in SB, but so is ANY weather other than sunny skies around here. Not sure that actually, finally getting some rain and thunder (we get at least 1 T-storm a year) a week away from what is considered the "rainy season" in Santa Barbara is suggestive of climate change.

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:48 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

So SacJon, what do you think *would* be an example of climate change? What do you think climate change *is*, and how does it manifest? The answer is that there's a shift in the statistics, with extreme events becoming more common. So the people downvoting my comment highlighting your word "rare" don't understand climate science at all.

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 11:53 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

MARCEL - whoah..... slow down, I'm on the same side here. You make a comment using my own words to suggest I'm wrong, then break it down like some argument. I'm ONLY saying I don't really think a seasonal t-storm is an "example" of climate change. Maybe it is, maybe it's not, but saying "oh no, climate change" any time it rains during the fall/winter is a bit tenuous in my opinion. I'm surprised your on the attack against someone who is 100% in agreement except for a seasonal storm being "climate change."

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 11:55 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

MARCELK - ""so last night's thunderstorm was an "example of climate change?" -- Did I say that? No, I didn't. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, maybe it was in part."

When you said this, it sure sounded like you were saying it could be an example:

"Um, "Thunderstorms in October, while ==>rare<== in SB"

Again, seasonal storm.

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:56 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Most reports of this storm mentioned that it was *unusual* in some way. One friend wrote to me "That sounds like one of our central PA thunderstorms. I don't remember anything like that when I lived in Santa Monica/Venice/MarVista." // The fact is that global warming increases the water carrying capacity of the atmosphere, so it plays *some* role in virtually every weather event.

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 11:58 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

"So SacJon, what do you think *would* be an example of climate change? " - Probably not a seasonal storm. Sure, ANY storm could be an example, but to use last night's t-storm as some rallying cry for climate change is a bit over dramatic. I think it's time to calm it down a little. I was only just questioning whether a seasonal storm was truly an example of climate change. Seems like you are trying to be argumentative.

MarcelK Oct 05, 2021 11:59 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

"you were saying could be" -- If I'm saying it *could* be and you're saying it *couldn't* be, then you're wrong. Regardless of what "side" you're on, you're not very good at comprehending this subject, so I'm done trying to explain it to you.

Voice of Reason Oct 05, 2021 12:04 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Are there any places where a changing climate would be a good thing, like a drought prone area getting wetter? Or a place that regularly sees extreme weather but now sees less?

Lucky 777 Oct 05, 2021 10:16 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Yesterday I was tattooing a musician from Hollywood who is building a Nordic sleeve and asked for Jörmungandr, the Midgard Serpent, on his forearm, that I drew in the Urnes style. After we finished and he prepared to leave... as he grasped the studio door knob a HUGE boom of thunder shook the building. "What was THAT?" he gasped.... "The blessing of Thor" I replied!

chico berkeley Oct 05, 2021 01:05 PM

Ya! 777-
Better than disintegration of a topic by the same people.
Story at least had something to do with subject of the post.

Transparent Oct 05, 2021 01:59 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Is EdHat serious debating whether or not this storm was caused by climate change? That's soooo funny. Next, maybe you can debate whether the Dodgers would've done better this year if Kamala were still a senator.

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 02:22 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

TRANSPARENT - no, sadly, the "debate" (can hardly call it that) here has been over whether I am a climate change denier, despite everything I've ever posted, simply because I questioned whether a seasonal storm was a clear cut example of climate change.

sacjon Oct 05, 2021 03:46 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

TRANS - oh I am for sure, that's the ridiculous thing. I just questioned whether a seasonal storm is really a clear example of it. It's like this - I'm strongly against animal cruelty, but when I hear of someone putting down a dog because it's in pain and dying from cancer or something, I don't jump on the phone to PETA and call it "animal abuse."

Byzantium Oct 05, 2021 04:59 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

At one time, awe was the response to the profound displays of nature. Now one must be manipulated into climate change fears.

PitMix Oct 07, 2021 11:00 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Two lightning storms in two years. Hardly any for many years before that. Is this kind of change related to climate change? Time will tell.

sacjon Oct 07, 2021 11:27 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

PIT - I've lived here almost my entire life and can recall at least one thunderstorm a year. Most have not been anything like this, but at least a couple years ago I spent an hour watching one out over the ocean from Sandpiper golf course. Thunderstorms in our area, while rare (and so is ANY storm for that matter), are hardly some new and mysterious phenomenon. If there was a tornado, blizzard, sand storm or some other uncharacteristic weather event, I'd be more agreeable, but a seasonal thunderstorm just doesn't seem like a freak event.

a-1634226479 Oct 14, 2021 08:47 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

That awe, in the classic sense, is PRECISELY my response to overwhelming natural events, to witnessing lightning storms and riding out earthquakes. I get teary and shaky and overwhelmed mentally and emotionally and affected physically.
This storm just topped them all. I don't know how I'll respond to another. I'll probably be in bed with the blankets and a pillow over my head!

a-1634226593 Oct 14, 2021 08:49 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Now I sound like a story book female nincompoop. I rise to the occasion, do what needs to be done. I was alone during this storm; there was nothing to be done. And I can't deny getting weaker in many ways as I get older.

Byzantium Oct 07, 2021 12:17 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

In 2008, a Temporal and Spatial Distribution of Lightening Strikes in California was conducted and found the following: ......"The number, density, and characteristics of lightning strikes in California varied in time and space. Annual variation in number of strikes from 1985 through 2000 was pronounced, with an over five-fold difference between the years with the highest and lowest number of strikes. Although there was considerable variation among bioregions in total numbers of lightning strikes, the annual trends were similar. In fact, bioregions were an excellent organizing scheme for distinguishing spatial patterns. Regional differences in location and elevation relative to storm patterns were manifested in the distribution of lightning". ........NB: Bringing this study up to date could indicate what changes, if any, might be documented over the past 20 years of "climate change".

SBZZ Oct 07, 2021 01:18 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

While spectacular and uncommon, we average about 2 t-storm days per year in SB (based on my observations of weather here for ~50 years) – 1 in the summer and winter each. Previous minor events occurred on 3/12/21, 8/15/20, and 2/20/20, then the big one on 3/5/19.

a-1634226174 Oct 14, 2021 08:42 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Scanner Andrew, thanks for ALL your reporting, you rock.

Trees in my yard and a neighbors were hit. It was all wonderful, beautiful, fun and games, until...
Between 6 and 7 p.m. I was in my yard, under the eaves, looking east at a full rainbow. My rain barrels overflowed in 10 or so minutes, so I got soaked opening the valves and moving hoses.

I was indoors when it got serious. My power went out at 6:59. But the few minutes before that.... Whew. I don't want to experience it again.

I was on the phone with out of state sibling when things started to get serious. They said "Holy shite" about what they heard over the phone. I had turned off tv & computer power strips (wasn't enough, more to come.)

Then --
The big one hit. I screamed guttarally into the phone as the shocking, deafening blast rolled over me. All went dark and silent, in a way, except for thunder and shock-- everything cut out around me.

I'll admit to being hyper-senstive to some things. Light and sound for two.

This storm was very, very disturbing for me, overall.

I got my hands on candles and battery lantern and then? I got into bed, a safe space, for a few minutes. When I heard the unmistakable sound of a fire truck (that give-away motor) I went out to see them -- that sound was so reassuring.

My wonderful neighbors had already put out the flames.
I spoke with the fire fighters. I hung out with the neighbors. It took a few days to get over the hyper reactivity and heightened sensitivity.

Then, our neighborhood didn't get cable back until Saturday. Yeah, 4 full days, 5 nights, from power outage/lighting strike at 6:59 Monday Oct. 4 until Saturday -- technically. Me & two other neighbors went to the storefront at Loreto Plaza to get updates and/or demand technician, in-person service. I and a neighbor lost televisions, another neighbor lost a computer; routers were also lost.
And I thought I was smart for turning off the power strip... Not! Good advice for any time thunder storms get close.

Anyways, I'm a bit slap-happy to have internet access back!

a-1634226857 Oct 14, 2021 08:54 AM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

SCE was fantastic, fast and responsive. I walked around the neighborhood with one of the techs. Our power was back on in 6.5 hours, 6:59 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. They replaced a transformer across the street from me, among other work. My electricity was on before they were done.

Compare that service to 5 days for Cox.

a-1634351656 Oct 15, 2021 07:34 PM

Message from SCE:
An outage has occurred in the area, temporarily turning off your power.

Outage Information
Outage # 000800060179
Estimated Start: 10/04/2021 at 06:59 PM
Estimated End: 10/05/2021 at 02:30 AM
Cause: analyzing problem

Power was back on just before 1:30 a.m., I walked the neighborhood with my battery lantern and the SCE tech. Huge thanks to them!

As I said, it took Cox until Saturday Oct. 9th, before noon, to restore service. Several neighbors (3 that I know of) and me, on Thursday, went to the store front in Loreto Plaza to demand an update, service and information.

I'm cool with the monopoly for now. I don't want to be without internet service, so I'll wait for further options, even Starlink (bleach) before I change. I'm addicted to their service, I can pay, so I will pay. I support federal efforts to spread broadband into rural and low-population areas. I do not support these telecom monopolies.

a-1634351846 Oct 15, 2021 07:37 PM

A MUST-SEE photo!
After seeing this, I got nothing to complain about!
If I was on Next Door, I guess I'd know where this was.

Third photo in photos at top of page:

a-1634352230 Oct 15, 2021 07:43 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

I'm a little surprised that no one affected has posted, besides me. As a regular, I guess that shows the pro-Edhat bias we have, thinking more people are exposed to Edhat than actually are.
And of course there would be more discussion if the people affected had internet access after the storm! lol
I admit I really missed talking about it here right afterward.

a-1634361711 Oct 15, 2021 10:21 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

What I find interesting is how invested posters SEEM to be in an argument about a local political position and then never return to it after one day.

Or attention paid to a somewhat shocking weather event.

This supports the view that posters are only in it for the immediate "thrill"; the stimulation of a daily argument. I have recently reviewed several issues on Edhat in the same week or within a week that people just leave. I hope t hey put such energy into political activism where it counts instead of being keyboard warriors, but I doubt it.

a-1634352422 Oct 15, 2021 07:47 PM
Lightning Strikes in Santa Barbara County

Oh, the lightning strike blew out both my tv and Cox Contour cable box, thus my comment that turning off a power strip is not enough. Stupid. I might still have a tv if I'd just unplugged the power strip.

Pages