Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family title=

By Dr. James Rolfe

Hello, I would like to introduce myself. My name is James Rolfe and I am a Santa Barbara dentist. For the last 18 years, I have been building clinics and training technicians in Afghanistan. Recently the Taliban have taken over Afghanistan, and most of my staff have been trying, with our help, to leave and resettle in other countries.

I am helping one Afghan immigrant family to come to Santa Barbara from Kabul, Afghanistan. Above is a photo of our class of dental hygienists from 2011. The woman on the right, Shukria Akhlaqi, graduated as a dental hygienist from my technical school, and is bringing her family to Santa Barbara and will be working with me in my dental office on Patterson Avenue. She is married with three children, and I am helping her by looking for a place for her and her family to live. She has an exceptionally fine character, so I can recommend her as a considerate and responsible person.

She is a member of the Hazaras, an ethnic group in Afghanistan descended from the Mongol invader of Afghanistan Ghengis Khan. The Taliban are now in power in Afghanistan, and they are Pashtuns, the indigenous ethnic group traditionally in Afghanistan, and the Hazaras are the sworn enemy of the Pashtuns.

Following the explosion of a Taliban car bomb near a Hazara girl’s school recently that killed dozens of Hazara girls, she decided to get out of Afghanistan as soon as possible, and she recently arrived in Washington, DC as an immigrant, along with her family. She will be coming soon to Santa Barbara to work in my dental office, and I am seeking anyone who can provide her and her family with housing. Please contact me personally if you have any options or ideas. My office is on Patterson Avenue in western Santa Barbara.

James G. Rolfe, DDS    email: adrp@verizon.net  phone: 805-963-2329

Afghanistan Dental Relief Project  website: http://www.adrpinc.org A 501C3 non-profit

MarkInVentura Sep 22, 2021 02:29 PM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

Dr. Rolfe is a wonderful person. He put every extra dollar he made into the Afghan Dental Relief Program and is to be commended for it. Please do your best to support his efforts to bring this refugee family to Santa Barbara and to welcome them with open arms.

kantanen Sep 21, 2021 01:42 PM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

A very warm welcome to you , Shukria and your beautiful family. May you and yours know peace and freedom, opportunity and growth - and feel surrounded by love as you start your new life with us!

Humanitarian2003 Sep 21, 2021 10:34 AM

Shukria Akhlaqi responds from Refugee Camp in Wisconsin:
Shukria responded: I am still unsure as I no case worker or person who deals with us has come to us. I hear different information everyday in the camp by other refugees. I really want to get out of here as the weather is also getting colder and I need clothes for my kids, but I’m told to stay until further notice. Also, due to the high volume of people here the process is very slow, maybe the workers are not able to manage in a timely manner. Everyone here is desperate like me to get out and start with life. Unfortunately, everything is unpredictable, I truly hope they expedite the process and get us out so I can come and start with my training.
Thank you.
Shukria Akhlaqi

popcorn Sep 21, 2021 10:33 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

I just donated via the Afghanistan Dental relief Project" + would be happy to be part of a support group to help these women, if one is organized. Is the local Muslim community aware of their arrival?

a-1632263772 Sep 21, 2021 03:36 PM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

Warning: If the "s" is missing from any web address (http:// rather than the much more secure https:// prefix), anything you do on such a website is vulnerable to hackers. So if you donate, even on a completely honest website, there's a chance your data can be intercepted along the way to and from that site. The HTTPS Everywhere browser plugin helps on some browsers and websites.

letmego Sep 21, 2021 10:25 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

Fun fact, a large % of the world population descends from Genghis Khan. My teenager is only so happy to give me the stats he learns in school. (1 in 200)

PitMix Sep 21, 2021 11:55 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

Which is not to say that 1 out of 200 SBians is a descendent. That is only to say that 10% of the people in the former Mongol empire are related to him, or about 16,000,000 people in 2003.

PitMix Sep 21, 2021 10:19 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

Lucky she was able to get out before things fell apart. I figured that since we broke it, we would need to fix it by bringing many people to the US because they would be at risk if they stayed.
Little known fact, the population in Afghanistan has almost doubled since the US invasion under Bush, from 20 to almost 40 million. Their median age is just over 18 yrs old, which explains why you see so many kids in stories of that country.

Humanitarian2003 Sep 21, 2021 10:17 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

The website is htpps://www.adrpinc.org and you can donate on the website. Or, google "Afghanistan Dental Relief Project" and that will take you to the website. The women will be arriving from Wisconsin with only a backpack, so they will need support from the community to get on their feet. Thank you for your support, Dr. James Rolfe

CMKR Sep 21, 2021 10:06 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

Bless this family, may they find excellent housing immediately, and thank you very much Dr. Rolfe for your kindness to them! May they have a lovely life going forward.

ESL_teacher Sep 21, 2021 09:36 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

If someone is able to set up a fund to accept donations to help with the costs of resettlement of this family, I for one would gladly contribute.

biguglystick Sep 21, 2021 09:00 AM
Local Dentist Sponsors Afghan Immigrant Family

This is wonderful. May all of these Afghan women find independence, free education, empowerment, equal rights, pay and FREEDOM, here in America! As long as they don't go to Texas, they should be ok.