By an edhat reader

A 8.2 magnitude earthquake struck the Alaskan coast on Wednesday and tsunami advisories were issued along the Pacific Coast. They were lifted, but I wondered if Santa Barbara County has an audible alarm like other coastal areas? Especially in the waterfront areas that are most at risk as seen in this map.

SBLetsGetAlong Jul 31, 2021 03:37 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

If our guess truly worried about tsunami & sea level rise they wouldn’t allow all the new construction in the funk zone & below the freeway.

But then again greed trumps safety.

biguglystick Jul 31, 2021 02:53 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

We should be much more worried about fires than tsunamis. In all of my 56 years living in this state (my entire life) I've never seen a tsunami, but fires? Ohhhhh boy!

smary Jul 31, 2021 10:03 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

as they have proven to be woefully ineffective in their evacuation warnings for fire, a tsunami siren is the least of my concerns

OpossumBoy Jul 31, 2021 09:09 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

As I recall, there’s an emergency notification system that the authorities use to broadcast warnings to people’s cellphones. Remember when it was misused a few years back to send warnings to everyone county wide, when it should have only been the Santa Maria area? It’s addressable by cell tower, so that only the phones using specific towers get the msg.

GeneralTree Jul 30, 2021 09:50 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

John Palmentari will warn you with his flailing mustache on Facebook. What else do you need?

BDM 1868 Jul 30, 2021 05:04 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

I've got it, giant bubble wrap suits just float away.

ZeroHawk Jul 30, 2021 02:10 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

For a true tsunami, we have a lot of protection via the islands, but for a massive storm surge, we're gonna get wet for sure. I too recall the 12ft waves during several el ninos and the massive surge and subsequent flooding that ensued. It was a combination of backed up sewers, ocean water, missing creek and other creeks that turned into rivers. We need to be more worried about that, than a massive tidal wave hitting us.

GeneralTree Jul 30, 2021 09:51 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

There's a strike-slip fault in the channel..... no protection or warning for that.

ZeroHawk Jul 30, 2021 02:10 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

mission creek **stupid autocorrect....

Curmudgeon Jul 30, 2021 01:45 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

Sometime in the mid 80s (1986?) a large earthquake in Alaska produced a Tsunami warning for all of the Pacific Coast.
I believe there was a small, but measurable, outflow and inflow in the harbor area. I recall we were all waiting for it to arrive.
Anyone else remember this?

tagdes Jul 31, 2021 11:20 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

May 8th 1986, it was a7.7 quake. We watched it from Leadbetter Point, the surge in the harbor was about a foot and a half. The Coast Guard put their boats out but all along the coast the highest was 2-3 feet.

a-1627677803 Jul 30, 2021 01:43 PM

NostraChumash Jul 30, 2021 11:55 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

I remember a storm back in the 80's that produced 12ft waves..
They only reached to the St street underpass.
I imagine that a storm-surge however, could travel as far as the old Mission.
In any event, SB is trapped against the foothills & will require opening 154, all lanes going into the valley.
In all, I don't believe there exists, an audible "siren".

Minibeast Jul 30, 2021 11:17 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

Picture in your mind beach and park goers along Cabrillo Blvd running to their vehicles (or on foot or for the Shuttle Bus). Everyone trying to get up onto The Mesa or up Castillo St (underpass) or up recently narrowed State St or up Calle Cesar Chavez or up Milpas or past The Bird Refuge and into Montecito. Everyone fleeing the oceanfront all at once. Pause for thought. Maybe this all takes place in the summer, on a weekend. ------Occasionally, when I'm walking on the beach at Shoreline, I look toward The Islands and then up at the cliffs. Then I envision all of us scrambling, only to be stuck in traffic. Probably best to always wear running shoes and work hard to keep fit. And when you're down there, definitely keep one eye on the water at all times.

GeneralTree Jul 30, 2021 09:52 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

Jesus bro, at least take a girl out for a drink on a Friday.

Voice of Reason Jul 30, 2021 12:40 PM
Tsunami Alarm?

Fear has taken over, rational risk assessment is dead. They should probably wear life jackets too just in case, and ALWAYS wear you helmet when walking, even in your own home because that were most accidents happen. You'd actually be amazed at how many die each year from "preventable" accidents like falls and accidental poisoning https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm if the media reported on this like they do covid you would see people walking around in helmets.

dukemunson Jul 30, 2021 11:23 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

That’s debilitatingly serious paranoia! Wear running shoes and always watch the water for towers of water…????

bicyclist Jul 30, 2021 11:06 AM
Tsunami Alarm?

I have no idea as to the Tsunami Alarm... But out of curiosity I checked the USGS site to see exactly where it was (the 8.2), was blown away at the current activity as it's still ongoing: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=52.33534,-163.86108&extent=57.90901,-149.53491 That's today's on the 29th it was slightly worse a few 5's & greater, but the sheer number was hard to comprehend. It's really Rock'n up there!