The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination title=
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

By Dr. Henning Ansorg, M.D., FACP, Health Officer County of Santa Barbara, Department of Public Health

1) Getting vaccinated against COVID-19 will keep you from getting sick. The available vaccines are very effective in preventing infection and illness from COVID-19. In very rare cases where one does catch the virus, the vaccine will prevent you from becoming seriously ill or needing to be hospitalized.

2) Those who choose to be vaccinated can enjoy more activities. According to the CDPH, can:

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Visit with unvaccinated people (including children) from a single other household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel
  • Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States
  • Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
  • Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic
  • Refrain from routine screening testing if asymptomatic and feasible

3) Getting vaccinated helps our entire community. Returning to a more fully opened lifestyle will require herd immunity, which most experts estimate will happen when between 75%-85% of the United States population is vaccinated. We all need to do our part to achieve herd immunity by getting vaccinated.

4) Protecting yourself by getting vaccinated also protects those around you, including those at increased risk of severe illness from the virus, or those who can’t get vaccinated such as infants or people with weakened immune systems from things such as chemotherapy for cancer.

5) COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective. The effectiveness of our available vaccines in preventing infection, severe illness and death from COVID-19 is remarkably high. The safety of the vaccines are a top priority and we have procedures in place to ensure the safety of any vaccine that is authorized or approved for use.

For more information about the COVID-19 guidance and the local response, please visit https://publichealthsbc.org. For those that need assistance in making vaccination appointments, please call 2-1-1 option 4 in Santa Barbara County.

Andrea Smith May 06, 2021 04:54 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

I was not planning to get the vaccine at first but after time passed, people were getting it and more data came out I balanced the options, weighed risk and got the vaccine and I'm glad I did. Am I concerned that possibly 2/5/10 years from now we find out about long term effects? Yes. Nothing is foolproof, but the risks for me weighed in favor. The thing that bugs me now is these people who think vaccinated people "shed" spike proteins. I mean, all the data proves that completely wrong, not to mention, are these people not worried about the actual real live spike protein from the virus itself which hijacks your cells, multiplies then sheds all over the place possibly killing you or another and doing long term damage? Social media is great in many ways but it is also serving as a conduit for these people. I hope we can get to herd immunity but it's looking more and more like we won't b/c of these weird theories and hesitancy, which don't get me wrong I understand as I was nervous about them but at this point I think there is enough data.

LCP112233 May 06, 2021 03:55 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

This is all great news and been a long time coming. I am proud to be fully vaccinated for the greater good. The faster we get to herd immunity the better. I, for one, feel way more safe and protected than before. Covid is nasty and is not going away any time soon.

bosco May 06, 2021 01:21 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

I think it is pretty clear. COVID will not go away. It's safe to assume that everyone will be exposed at some point. So the question people really should pose to themselves is what risk is greater? COVID infection or the vaccine? By not getting the vaccine you are essentially choosing to eventually get a COVID infection. Also, scientists don't know the long term effects a COVID infection may have on the body either. At least mRNA vaccines have at least been studied for almost 10 years. For anyone concerned with safety risk, it should be a no brainer to get a vaccine.

Andrea Smith May 06, 2021 05:04 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

BOSCO as I was making my hopefully well thought out decision to vaccinate, one of the factors that pushed me to the decision to get the jab was the possibility of long term effects from a Covid infection. I think my chances of surviving Covid are pretty high or at least high enough that I wasn't as worried about dying but those long Covid cases are scary. I remember how even after a flu it could take weeks to recover fully so I can't even imagine. So, is the choice long covid or take a risk and hope no long term side effects from vaccine [which seem less likely at least at this point]. That's just my take.

Channelfog May 07, 2021 03:37 AM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

And pertinently , Uruguay now has a right wing, evangelical president who followed Bolsonaros' lead; do nothing and don,t worry about the Brazil border. Uruguay went from 3rd best globally to 3rd worst. Covid vaccinations? We shall see....

Chip of SB May 06, 2021 12:58 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

There are a lot of unknowns about the vaccines being distributed under emergency use authorizations. How effective are they, particularly against new variants? How long does “immunity” last? Are there any
Long term side effects? The answer is we don’t know yet. As far as the risk vs benefits calculation goes, it varies for different people. For young children, the fda had not yet judged the benefits of vaccination to outweigh the risks and has not issued an EUA allowing the vaccination of children. This makes sense because Covid poses a very low risk to children. The vaccines also have risks. See this example of a young woman who would have been a lot better off unvaccinated. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-03/victims-of-rare-vaccine-injury-wait-to-see-if-u-s-fund-will-pay?sref=i4qXzk6d This is why taking a vaccine should be an individual choice made with informed consent. I would also caution that although the makers of the vaccine are exempt from liability, other entities are not. Any person or organization who coerces people to get vaccinated is liable for any harm caused by the vaccine. Note the medical bills for the young woman in the article are already over 1/2 million, and it is not clear what the long term implications of her injuries will be or what level of care she will require for the rest of her life.

GeneralTree May 06, 2021 10:07 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

Chip didn't even read the article he posted. The girl's case had no proof of causation of her condition due to the vaccine. And stated treatments such as hydroxychloroquine and others have caused more injury than reports of vaccine doing harm. Well done Chip, spreading low information nonsense. Tylenol and aspirin are killers, but you probably take those because they aren't political.

Andrea Smith May 06, 2021 04:58 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

CHIP there is ALWAYS risk with vaccines, even those around a long time. You have one example, out of how many who have gotten it? The risk with Covid is much more substantial than this one case you point to, for the population as a whole. They already said, new data shows vaccine prevents transmission and is good up to 12 months likely. I hope there won't be a need for boosters in the future as the virus dissipates and hopefully weakens but all this concern about vaccines, where is the attendant concern about the effects of Covid which are much, much worse?

Shasta Guy May 06, 2021 12:49 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

I just got my second Pfizer dose at GVCH this morning. It’s a well run operation. My main motivation was the prevention of long term symptoms such as the potential of reduced lung capacity for the rest of my life. Or, nothing could happen after recovery, but I didn’t want to take the chance.

a-1620370208 May 06, 2021 11:50 PM
The GOOD Outweighs Concerns for COVID-19 Vaccination

Got my first dose this a.m.! Fantastic operation; one can feel the good thoughts and actions there. I too am very scared of possible infection, both short & long term risks. I always knew I'd take the vaccine.
Yay for vaccines!