Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier title=

By edhat staff

As of Tuesday, Santa Barbara County is officially inducted into the state's orange tier allowing more businesses to open.

With an adjusted case rate of 4.5 per 100,000, a 1.8% positivity rate, and a 1.7% health equity positivity rate, the county joins the rest of Southern California in the orange. The only nearby county to be stuck in the red tier is San Luis Obispo.

The county's case rate has been under 6 cases per every 100,000 residents for the last two weeks. To qualify for the Orange Tier, a region must have a case rate between 2 and 5.9 cases per every 100,000 residents.

With this new designation, all retail can open at 100% capacity, dining/museums/zoos/movie theatres can open at 50% indoor capacity, and gyms and fitness centers can increase to 25% indoor capacity.

Gathering restrictions are also less stringent with private outdoor events increasing to 100 people, or 150 people indoor with proof of negative COVID-19 tests/vaccinations, or 300 people outdoors with proof of vaccination/negative test results. Public events can be outdoor up to 50 people and indoor gatherings are ok with 25 people.

Public Health Director Dr. Van Do-Reynoso stated the number of active cases decreased by 21% in the first two weeks of April. The biggest decrease came from Santa Maria while Goleta and Santa Ynez have remained flat.

"We have made significant progress in lowering our local case rate," states Dr. Henning Ansorg, Health Officer for Santa Barbara County. "Every member of our community plays an important role in helping us achieve and continue to enjoy the benefits of loosening restrictions. We must continue to be mindful of safety practices including wearing masks, physically distancing, washing hands and getting vaccinated as soon as possible."

More information can be found at publichealthsbc.org.

letmego Apr 23, 2021 09:22 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

@CHIP How about instead of a mask, a full on snorkel-like face shield, ha! A bubble head, so to speak. I think I'd lose the ability to breathe on both sides though...

PitMix Apr 22, 2021 07:21 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Chip, at the beginning people were wearing gloves in the stores and then dropping them in the parking lots when they were done. Big trash problem until people stopped wearing gloves.

Chip of SB Apr 21, 2021 04:11 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Maybe someone could invent a mask that is suitable for use while swimming??? That would really make a lot of people feel more comfortable. I think gloves would be a good idea too, for swimming and as a general proposition when in public. Gloves have not caught on yet, but it would really help of everyone wore them.

a-1619040008 Apr 21, 2021 02:20 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

If you're against wearing masks to protect yourself and others, please just stay indoors, put on those buffalo hats, stand in front of your mirrors, and yell FREEDUMB!

letmego Apr 23, 2021 09:20 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

@DUKE Booster shots don't bother me - I get the flu shot every year.
Not touching surfaces...I work with a lot of dudes - have you seen them? Do you know how many don't wash their hands? Do you know how many come to work when they have "a touch of food poisoning". (Uh, you've got young kids, I'm sad to tell you it's norovirus.)
(Everyone thinks it's food poisoning ... it's not!)
Also, I wore masks at work for 20 years, most of the day, as required by the job. So, they don't bother me. I have (Asian) coworkers who routinely wear them when they have the sniffles.

dukemunson Apr 21, 2021 04:51 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Let me go - booster shots every year, avoiding touching surfaces AND “happily” wearing a mask around other people????? Come on... That’s a bridge too far!!!

letmego Apr 21, 2021 03:54 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Personally, I'd rather people stay home when they are sick. But sure, when I eventually get back to the office, I will happily wear a mask when around other people. I already avoid touching surfaces as much as possible when at work.

Chip of SB Apr 21, 2021 03:21 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Our children and grandchildren will be shocked when they see old photos and films showing masses of bare faced people. They will be educated to understand that going bare faced in public places is a barbaric practice that is offensive and unacceptable.

PitMix Apr 21, 2021 02:36 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

I hope masks become standard issue during flu season, too. It would be great if my coworker wore one whenever his kids are sick because that usually means he is getting sick too.

dukemunson Apr 21, 2021 02:30 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

220pm - The question isn't about wearing masks...we should! But there is an end point...right? And if we are on a pathway to yearly booster shots for the rest of our lives...are we doing masks forever too?

letmego Apr 21, 2021 03:55 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

As someone who wore masks 8-10 hours a day at work for 20 years, I'm trying to figure out how the "cons" so much outweigh the "pros".

bosco Apr 21, 2021 02:34 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

I fully hope (and expect) that public health will come out and say masks are not needed outdoors shortly. In my opinion (and most scientific evidence) has shown that outdoor mask use is unnecessary. Seeing people on the beach still wearing masks shows the ignorance of the public and poor messaging by public health. Wearing masks indoors in public areas is not a big deal, but I do hope we get away from it eventually. COVID is here to stay. You either get it or you get the vaccine. At some point we need to stop protecting those people ignorant enough to choose COVID over a safe vaccine.

Voice of Reason Apr 21, 2021 11:19 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

OMG...... (face palm) Even thinking we should wear masks forever should be a flashing red light that you don't have an accurate understanding of risk, statistics, negative aspects of masks, and the actual danger covid presents.

PitMix Apr 21, 2021 10:39 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Zero? Chances of getting and spreading covid after vaccination are low but not zero. Masks are mostly to stop you from spreading it. How many times have I written that statement on Edhat?

NonBidenary Apr 21, 2021 09:58 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Yes. Wow. Read the link I posted. There is no reason, once one is vaccinated. Further, the cons of masks far outweigh the pros.

Kruppe Apr 21, 2021 06:32 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Cottage Health are doing an exemplary job of vaccinating folks. Their entire operation is a well oiled machine. Kudos to the professionals and volunteers!

FernaldPoint93108 Apr 20, 2021 09:28 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Everyone can get a free Covid vaccine now. Let’s open up everything 100% and not cater to those who choose choose to remain unprotected.

Voice of Reason Apr 21, 2021 04:07 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Absolutely 100% no way no how not ever. The vaccines will knock the real life risk of dying or being hospitalized to well below the flu, even if it becomes endemic. You and anyone else that want's can mask up and self isolate the rest of your live. Me, my family, friends, and most others are going back to normal ASAP. You have fallen hook line and sinker for the media's incessant fear mongering the past 14 months. Don't take it from me, talk to you doctor.

Chip of SB Apr 21, 2021 11:01 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

I think you nailed it Fernald. Once everyone who wants a vaccine has had an opportunity to get it, what is the justification for continued restrictions on our civil liberties? I think the problem is the vaccine has limitations. If you can still get COVID and transmit Covid after being “fully vaccinated” then you still have to wear a mask, etc. The vaccine manufacturers are already saying a third shot will be needed within 6-12 months, so it may prove difficult to stay “fully vaccinated” going forward. Some people had the misconceived idea that the vaccines would wipe COVID out completely if enough people got them and we could go back to the way things used to be. That is simply not going to happen. Masks and social isolation will be required on a permanent basis going forward, along with a permanent ban on certain businesses and large events. Some jurisdictions are enacting permanent mask mandates right now. This will “keep us safe” in between our annual, or perhaps more frequent, vaccinations and booster shots.

OGSB Apr 20, 2021 08:53 PM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

The rest of her story... ED got the first part and really the important part, but the rest is such jibberish. I'm starting to believe this whole government control crap!

a-1619235250 Apr 23, 2021 08:34 PM

9:50 AM:

Inconsistent, agenda filled, dishonest, and overloaded with unnecessary fear is exactly what you consistently peddle.

Voice of Reason Apr 23, 2021 09:50 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

If someone wants to walk around alone in my neighborhood, or drive along in their car, with their mask on, I don't care, it's their choice and you'll know I'm all for people making their own decisions. Why it bothers me so much is because it is a glaring symbol of how badly we failed at our messaging to the public throughout the pandemic. Whether it was" covid is the plague and we're all going to die" or "it's just the flu" we failed miserably in conveying accurate, current, and honest information to the public; instead it was inconsistent, agenda filled, dishonest, and overloaded with unnecessary fear. This is squarely the fault of our politicians, who will never let a crisis go to waste in their enteral grab for more power, and the for-profit media/big tech who cares not about the information they provide but how long they can keep your eyes glued to the screen -- they all pandemic profiteers and should treated the same as war profiteers during the World Wars.

letmego Apr 23, 2021 09:17 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

There are some very good reasons to wear masks in vehicles. Firstly, if there are others in the vehicle with you, that aren't from your household.

Secondly though, in the beginning, there was all this unknown risk about surfaces. So, it made a LOT more sense, if you were going to multiple places, to put your mask on and leave it on so that you don't contaminate it/ other things, by taking it off and on and constantly touching your face.

We now know that surfaces aren't a big deal, but maybe he doesn't? Sometimes I put my mask on before I leave the house to drive the kids to school, because otherwise I'm carrying too many things (mask, phone for check-in, keys, purse), and I end up dropping the damned mask on the ground on the way to the car.

NonBidenary Apr 23, 2021 08:37 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Wow, you nailed it. I’m sure the man wearing two masks alone in his Prius isn’t a brainwashed CNN viewer. As for the rest of the ‘misinformation and propaganda’ I’ll just let you do you.

a-1619117084 Apr 22, 2021 11:44 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

It's totally indicative of a lack of thinking skills to scoff at someone wearing a mask in a vehicle. As for the rest of your misinformation and propaganda, despite your accurate diagnosis of trumpism, even a complete fool occasionally utters something true.

NonBidenary Apr 22, 2021 08:42 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

Ok, then let’s try this. You wear a mask as long and often as you want, even after you’re vaccinated. Go ahead and be comfortable being controlled and doing as you’re told, like the guy i saw driving alone the other day in his vehicle wearing two masks. I’ll continue to believe that Snopes is propaganda that spreads as much mis- and dis-information as it purports to debunk, and we’ll all live our lives as we do. And, just because I’m sure you think I’m some anti-vaxxer who thinks Trump is God, I am fully vaccinated and think he’s a kook. Hopefully that’ll blow your mind a little bit.

Voice of Reason Apr 21, 2021 10:38 AM
Santa Barbara County Reaches Orange Tier

To all readers: BigUgly believes that a scientific study conducted by a credentialed scientist and published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information is "misinformation". Please keep this in mind every time BigUgly posts something!