By an edhat reader

I'm curious to know if the City of Santa Barbara is addressing the reckless nature of bicyclists on State Street and throughout downtown? I'm not talking about the spandex cyclists but the larger groups of younger people being aggressive to diners and pedestrians. What are their plans, if any?

mp805 Mar 04, 2021 09:49 AM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

will this encourage more reckless riders https://www.noozhawk.com/articles/green_bicycle_lanes_coming_to_state_street_local_design_community

PitMix Feb 27, 2021 06:33 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Bikes are vehicles, right? I thought State Street was a pedestrian mall? If it isn't, it should be.

a-1614449526 Feb 27, 2021 10:12 AM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

By the way, some of the harassing individuals (e.g., the ring leader) live on the 00 block of SOUTH Soledad (e.g., 15 S Soledad)

sacjon Feb 27, 2021 05:18 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

4:27 - how are our tax dollars supporting these scofflaws? You mean because we're paying the cops and they're doing nothing?

a-1614449311 Feb 27, 2021 10:08 AM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

They ARE trying to do something about this. Call/text Anthony Wagner while the harassment is in progress and report the location 805-448-5824 Something will be done.

buckwheat Feb 27, 2021 08:18 AM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

It's not just bicycles that are a problem on the promenade but skateboards are also causing nervousness to pedestrians. I would like both to be banned from Sola to Gutierrez.

SBSBSBSBSBsb Feb 27, 2021 07:58 AM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Landshark ive never seen any accidents, ive seen people lunge at bikes to confront them though. Maybe your the problem?

d8vanilla Feb 26, 2021 09:02 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

But, I'd like to know what happened on De La Vina near the Ralph's exit ?? they had the street blocked off, and I could see a car being put on a big tow truck

d8vanilla Feb 26, 2021 09:00 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

I find the bicyclists a little annoying most of the time.... It would be GREAT if THEY would follow the rules of the road, and attach mirrors , wear a helmet, use arm signals, stay in the bike lanes, stop swerving into vehicle lanes, etc etc etc... you get my drift???? Every day is a challenge as I drive my SUV downtown , and have to worry about those knucklehead bicyclists .......worry, that I don't collide with one... worry, they I don't have to witness them colliding with another vehicle or pedestrian, worry that I'm gonna need to administer first aid, when my card is expired... etc.

SBSBSBSBSBsb Feb 26, 2021 08:39 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Its crazy that multiple people are suggesting 'dropping an elbow' or inciting violence against cyclists. Very mature edhat, this is the behavior I expect out of you all.... keep up the good work. I bet you are all great neighbors too.

LandShark Feb 27, 2021 06:50 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

I can't wait til one of your cherished punks knocks you down as he rides down the middle of State St.

SBSBSBSBSBsb Feb 26, 2021 08:36 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

GENERALTREE please pepper spray someone.... I would love to see your mugshot for pepper spraying someone riding their bike.

Mesarats Feb 26, 2021 08:13 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

This was supposed to be a pedestrian mall. Putting a bike lane down the middle of it changes the flow and vibe. It’s a perverse incentive when 2 wheels have the right of way over pedestrians who are pushed to the sidewalks . The street is not wide enough for both and businesses would benefit more from the free flow of foot traffic. Bicycles have dedicated lanes and access on city streets, pedestrians who far out number bicycles in commuting numbers and miles have nothing. The bicycle collation is a well funded lobbying group. I ride a bike and also cruise on 4 and 8 wheels, and walk a lot and think this sucks. Did anyone think to get feedback from the small businesses owners on the route?

Basicinfo805 Feb 26, 2021 08:09 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Accidentally drop them an elbow or shoulder when they get too close. Hopefully they'll either eat pavement or be scared to do so.

JB86 Feb 26, 2021 07:03 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

I'm afraid policing kids on bikes is not a priority in law enforcement. You could always carry a cane or walking stick to put in the offenders spokes, but then YOU might risk an assault charge. Probably best to just avoid where they congregate.

a-1614471866 Feb 27, 2021 04:24 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Yes, I avoid downtown partially due to these punks. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Notthatbad Feb 26, 2021 05:44 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

I actually walk through/around these kids every day or night. So far, they’ve always been respectful. Seems like they’re mostly just hanging out, enjoying their city. I appreciate that they claimed only a small portion of State for their biking and it’s actually somewhat cool to see them working new tricks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roger Feb 26, 2021 03:12 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

I heard the little terrorists pulled a knife on someone at the downtown Habit the other day.

gizmo1 Feb 26, 2021 02:29 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

I’ve seen multiple instances of these young kids on their bicycles harassing people and the police know all about it I called SBPD the other day when one of the kids in the group through a half gallon plastic container of milk at a tourist couple and a policeman was driving by when I called in because the tourist couple guy wanted to ring their necks and the police went up and talk to the kids and he declined to press charges oso the policeman didn’t do anything to the kids and the SBPD know all about the gang kids on bikes

toot Feb 27, 2021 09:55 AM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

GIZMO, a few appropriate, well placed commas and periods would go far to better express your spot-on comment.

sacjon Feb 26, 2021 02:08 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Isn't it illegal to ride your bike there? I thought you had to walk it. If they're breaking the law, they can be cited. If the cops aren't doing anything, well.... no surprise. How are they harassing diners?

LandShark Feb 26, 2021 01:53 PM
Reckless Bicyclists Downtown?

Indeed, I've seen several bicycle vs pedestrian collisions, and many more near misses, due to the aggressive and thoughtless punks on bikes. It's time to get rid of bikes on State St, at least where the restaurants and walking areas have been extended into the street area.