Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets title=

Source: Santa Barbara Humane Society

Although gatherings may be smaller this year, holidays remain a time to share those familiar savory foods. Although it’s tempting to indulge our pets in holiday meals, even just sneaking a taste under the table could cause your pet distress.

Here are some of the foods to avoid sharing with your pet:

• Turkey. While a bite of unseasoned, well-cooked white meat shouldn’t hurt your cat or dog, raw or undercooked turkey -or fatty dark turkey meat can wreak havoc in your pet’s stomach. Bones are a deeper concern as they are fragile and splinter easily, which can cause issues in your pet’s throat or digestive tract if they are swallowed.

• Garlic and onions. While garlic and onions may be a tasty way to season food, they are toxic to cats and dogs. These pungent items can cause gastrointestinal distress and may cause damage to the red blood cells of your pets.

• Unbaked dough containing yeast. Make sure to keep any unbaked dough out of the reach of your pets. Yeast will cause the dough to continue to rise even after swallowed, which could create a blockage in your pet’s stomach.

Additionally, the natural fermentation of yeast in your cat or dog’s stomach could cause alcohol poisoning.

• Alcohol. While a glass of wine or a cocktail might be the perfect complement to your meal, make sure you pet doesn’t get a sip. For cats and dogs, alcohol can cause severe health issues or even death.

• Desserts. Chocolate isn’t the only sweet that could cause health issues for your pet. Grapes, raisins and currants can cause kidney failure in dogs, and experts believe they can also affect cats as well.

• Sweeteners - The sweetener Xylitol is another important food to avoid feeding your pet, as its ingestion can lead to liver failure in both cats and dogs. This sweetener can be found in breath mints, baked goods, some peanut and nut butters and even sugar-free desserts, including "skinny" ice cream.

If you are concerned that your pet has ingested one of these foods, your first call should be to (list local emergency vets that would be open during holidays and the ASPCA poison line)

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426- 4435. A consultation fee may apply.

Basicinfo805 Nov 23, 2020 07:34 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

I agree with Chem, and RHS you're misinterpreting the comment. There are a hell of a lot of problems with dog breeding. RHS's response isn't even coherent, and he/she is the one who needs to "calm down"... Jeez!

PitMix Nov 22, 2020 11:38 AM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

How much of any of this is toxic? I read somewhere that a 60 lb dog would have to eat about 2 lbs of baking chocolate to reach the toxic levels. In a chocolate cake there are about 2-3 oz of baking chocolate. And then my family's 80 lb dog ate most of a chocolate cake left on the counter with no ill effects. So my guess is that a dog can eat about anything in small amounts. But if someone knows the toxic amounts of any of this in lb of body weight then maybe we can have less fear in our world.

PitMix Nov 23, 2020 07:46 AM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

From RHS-"What, we should all have primitive dogs as pets? No breeding, no selection for compatibility with humans?, no concerns about feeding them uncooked meats and letting them run uncontrolled through our communities? What nonsense, the hybrid dogs that have been a major source of pleasure in my life were not ill-served by the breeders that created them or the natural forces that made them what they were. Calm down.

RHS Nov 22, 2020 06:25 PM

ChemicalSuperFreak Nov 22, 2020 04:57 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

If you care about your pets, then stop breeding them until their the size of a cupcake, just so you can parade around the supermarket with them in your purse.

a-1606086174 Nov 22, 2020 03:02 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

Who would possibly care if their pet got miserably sick, anyway, as long as it didn't immediately croak? Are you for real?

ChemicalSuperFreak Nov 22, 2020 02:42 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

I think the term "toxic" is being used very loosely here. 2 of 6 items are about splinters/blockage from bones/dough. My Akita lived to age 16, and loved chocolate, which I shared with her in small amounts throughout her life. If your dog or cat should eat any of the above, the most likely result with be gas and the runs and not instant death (e.g. liver failure). So much hysteria these days.

Jence Nov 22, 2020 12:52 PM

Pit mix:
I had a pit mix too. He was a pup. Unfortunately my mother let him out in the middle of the night and didn’t call him back in. We live in the foothills. The coyotes had a picnic with him.
So I still grieve.

I’ve read all of the posts and I believe that they are all well founded. I appreciate people taking the time to do so.

I guess I got lucky because I supplemented his diet with cooked meat and scraps.

He ate what we ate and never was there a problem.

Happy Thanksgiving!

CCHandyMan Nov 22, 2020 08:00 AM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

We give our small dog, a mixed chihuahua/jack russell, sweet potatoe as a after dinner treat all the time. It's only a tablespoon or so but she loves it and has no problem with it at all. We avoid giving her peas though because they don't digest and come out looking just like they went in.

GF Jones Nov 22, 2020 06:36 AM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

Any new food should be introduced in small increments. Sweet potato is ok for dogs in a tiny amount. Actually use it in small amount when a dog is constipated the sweet potato, also pumpkin, helps move the blockage.

REX OF SB Nov 21, 2020 07:49 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

Until now, I hadn't noticed that the SB Humane Society has the same initials as SB High School. Imagine that!

Bird Nov 21, 2020 04:33 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

That's VERY interesting. I've fairly recently changed my small dog's diet to chicken and rice and a vegetable, green beans or peas are liked. I had read about sweet potatoes, bought some and steamed, recommended --- and he didn't like it but no fireworks! I've read they're very healthy foods for dogs, as well as people and have thought I should try again. I won't!

PitMix Nov 23, 2020 07:49 AM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

Also have fed my dogs sweet potatoes and actual potatoes for short periods to try and identify allergies. No ill effects.

REX OF SB Nov 21, 2020 03:22 PM
Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets

This article is very good advice, and I'd also like to add sweet potatoes as something to avoid giving dogs. Several years ago, I read an article extolling the virtues of sweet potatoes as an adjunct to a dog's diet. They were cited as being highly nutritious and beneficial in many ways. I can't stand sweet potatoes, but I bought one for my two Huskies to share as part of their dinner. I peeled it and baked it for the appropriate time, then cut it in two so that each Husky could have half. They loved it!

The…fireworks…started a scant couple of hours later, when each dog came down with what can best be described as projectile diarrhea. It was like a La Cañada mudslide. I have never seen anything like it. God, it was awful!

Don't believe anything you read about sweet potatoes being good for dogs. They really don't seem to be. Please don't give your dogs sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. Or ever.