Halloween Distancing?

Dear Edda,

I’m wondering what to do about Halloween this year? What are other people doing?  I haven’t heard anything official from the city or county, and I’m wondering if kids will be trick-or-treating. Should I buy candy and figure out a way to get it to the little goblins from a safe distance?

Thanks!
Ahchooo

#  #  #

Dear Ahchoo,

According to the CDC, traditional trick or treating presents a higher risk of COVID 19 exposure, and have listed a number of alternative activities. You can go to their website for the complete list. [Edhat has also compiled a list here].

As for the distribution of treats, they suggest individually packaged treats, placed in your driveway.  I don’t know where the CDC people live, but the raccoons in my neighborhood think that’s a great idea.

Below are some ideas from local friends and family and masked passersby. Remember - all activities suggested should occur at a social distance!

- Outdoor scary movie night

- Outdoor pumpkin carving

- Outdoor scavenger hunt

- Halloween costume parade around the neighborhood.

The good thing is, we are lucky enough to live in a place where outdoor activities can continue throughout the year. Unless it rains. But that’s another conversation.

Edda

Edda is not a medical professional but a local lady who loves to give out advice, even when it's not asked of her. Submit your question to [email protected] for Edda to answer.

sacjon Oct 24, 2020 06:34 PM
Halloween Distancing?

Get candy and enjoy the holiday! Wear a mask and put it out on a table or something so kids can grab their own. Most kids will be out having fun during this outdoor, mask-wearing, and socially distanced holiday!

REX OF SB Oct 24, 2020 09:26 PM
Halloween Distancing?

Who knows what Covid and other cooties will be carried by trick-or-treaters. Best to turn off all the lights and retreat to a back bedroom with a bottle of your favorite booze and read a book or watch some of those Judge Judy episodes you've DVR'd. If you've already bought candy from force of habit, just have it for breakfast for the next few days.

m-cubed Oct 25, 2020 07:39 AM
Halloween Distancing?

WAT SHUD I DOOOO!!!?!??! THE LAST 8 MONTHS I FERGET EM

LCP112233 Oct 25, 2020 01:41 PM
Halloween Distancing?

Make an appointment with your psychiatrist?

m-cubed Oct 25, 2020 07:41 AM
Halloween Distancing?

someone please tell me what to do i am at a complete loss. i wear a mask and wash my hands like a maniac just tell me please. aint taking no vaccine you'll have to pin me down.

doulie Oct 25, 2020 09:08 AM
Halloween Distancing?

Do what you want to do, seems like you're doing alright. COVID vaccine, like all vaccine's is your choice. We're all 'gonna die of something.

a-1603645810 Oct 25, 2020 10:10 AM
Halloween Distancing?

So few children came last year - it became a non-event in this neighborhood. A lost, fun tradition. Ended up with neighbors sharing their left over candy with each other.

Ahchooo Oct 25, 2020 10:34 AM
Halloween Distancing?

I’m really just wondering if the kids will be out trick-or-treating. I can figure out how to set out candy safely. I just don’t want to buy candy for the usual hundred or so visitors and get only two or three. Parents? How many of you will let your kids roam the neighborhoods?

oceandrew Oct 25, 2020 11:04 AM
Halloween Distancing?

Edda... of course if you leave candy out all night the raccoons will love you for it but trick or treatin' only goes for 3 - 3.5 hours. Before turning the lights off for bedtime retrieve the leftovers and the critters won't be any wiser.

PitMix Oct 26, 2020 07:20 AM
Halloween Distancing?

The Police Athletic League is holding an event and giving out pre-packaged plastic bags of candy and goodies to some kids. So events like that are still happening.