By Greg

Protruding up about an inch and a half from the sidewalk near Mission and Garden street is this marker. One notices a lot more while walking more often these days. Edhat readers, do you have any information about this?

NostraChumash Sep 24, 2020 01:06 PM

Sweet!..
I shall collect a few to add to my
SB Americana.

El Barbareno Sep 24, 2020 01:01 PM
What Are These?

These were placed as part of the survey of the Santa Barbara Forest Reserve around 1904 and 1905. When President Roosevelt established the SB Forest Reserve he proclaimed the boundary came to the "pueblo line" of Santa Barbara, which was Mission Street. This put sections of Santa Barbara, being portions of the "Mission Addition." "Arlington Heights," and other tracts as being in the Forest Reserve though it did not affect ownership of the homes and empty lots.
Being in the Forest Reserve technically put these homes under benefit of ranger patrol and fire protection. Though as one newspaper reported "It may leave the householder in a dilemma if his barn should be burning: he would not know whether to send for the fire department or the forest ranger."

PitMix Sep 24, 2020 04:16 PM
What Are These?

How did you know this? I googled it and didn't find anything. Great info and thanks for posting!

Getoffmylawn Sep 23, 2020 08:58 PM
What Are These?

Type in what you see wala!

tagdes Sep 24, 2020 07:57 PM
What Are These?

Yes, I had my imaginary friend Jacques misspell it to see if any one would catch it.... tres bizarre.

a-1600998100 Sep 24, 2020 06:41 PM
What Are These?

Does nobody here know the word "voila", from the French?

tagdes Sep 24, 2020 11:00 AM
What Are These?

I typed in the cruise ship destination in Panama but they didn't know anything about LPNF....however I asked my friend Jacques and viola, he knew all about it.

Thomas John Sep 23, 2020 07:19 PM

Benchmarks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_marker

a-1600889875 Sep 23, 2020 12:37 PM
What Are These?

Looks like boundary markers used for points of reference in describing a particular tract/parcel of land. Cool to see one in real life, as in my work, I'm constantly describing these in legal documents!

2contango Sep 23, 2020 12:09 PM
What Are These?

See Wikipedia article on the "Santa Barbara National Forest", which was established in 1903 and is now called Los Padres National Forest.

Sail380 Sep 23, 2020 11:14 AM
What Are These?

There around out in the back country also.