Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County title=
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Governor Gavin Newsom during an earlier COVID-19 press conference (courtesy photo)

By edhat staff

Governor Gavin Newsom has ordered the closure of indoor operations such as dine-in restaurants, for 19 counties including Santa Barbara and Ventura.

These indoor operations that must close for at least three weeks include restaurants, wineries and tasting rooms, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos and museums and cardrooms Newsom said during his coronavirus briefing.

“This doesn’t mean restaurants are shut down,” Newsom said. “It means that we’re trying to take the activities, as many activities as we can -- these mixed activities, these concentrated activities — and move them outdoors, which is a way of mitigating the spread of this virus.”

The 19 counties affected have been included on the state's COVID-19 watch list for having elevated disease transmission, increasing hospitalization and limited hospital capacity.

The affected counties are Contra Costa, Fresno, Glenn, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Merced, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Joaquin, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Solano, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Ventura.

Newsom stated the above counties should consider canceling firework shows if they haven't already, and supports the decision by Los Angeles and Ventura county officials for preemptively closing beaches. He stated he is not mandating the closure of beaches but will be modifying parking facility operations and closing them to traffic throughout southern California and parts of Monterey, Santa Cruz and farther north.

Santa Barbara and Goleta have already cancelled firework displays but decided to keep local beaches open, much to the dismay of residents who fear people from other counties will travel to the area for the holiday weekend.

On Wednesday evening, the City of Santa Barbara announced they will close all of its beach parking lots for the 4th of July Weekend beginning on Friday, July 3rd through Sunday, July 5th in association with the State closing all beach parking. Public parking on Stearns Wharf and Harbor Main lots will remain open to support the liveaboards, marina and adjacent businesses.

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department reported emergency permits for food service will no longer be allowed in any of the businesses outlined by the Governor.

This guidance is to stay in place for a minimum of three weeks and is subject to extension based on epidemiologic indicators.

“We advise local businesses to prepare for these newly announced closures,” shared Public Health Officer Dr. Henning Ansorg. “We know that indoor settings with close crowds, as typically seen on holiday weekends, can create an unfavorable environment for the transmission of this virus. Please limit your exposure to people outside your home and wear your face covering when needed.”

Newsom stated California had seen a 43% increase in the coronavirus hospitalization rate and a nearly 50% increase in COVID-19 cases in the past 14 days, as well as 110 deaths within the past 24 hours.

Ahchooo Jul 01, 2020 01:58 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

They could restrict beaches to moving activities only: walking, swimming, surfing, but no lying about sunning and socializing. It would be a shame to close off the ocean itself—it is very big, with space for lots of people to swim and paddle safely.

DTOM Jul 02, 2020 02:28 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Sunning...is good for people. Just keep it open for the tourists, thatll bring in money to the businesses that are(not) allowed to be open(where's the economic stimulus for businesses that are non-essential? Who decides what's essentially or not??) And local santabarbarians you can just go today, or wait till Monday, right? Whats the fuss about, theres not any official celebration anyways!!! Don't let fear tell you how to (not)think!

a-1593726137 Jul 02, 2020 02:42 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

DTOM - the problem lies with having tens of thousands of outsiders who don't act responsibly since it's not their home coming to our beaches, downtown, gas stations, restaurants, etc spreading the virus and then leaving us here to deal with it. Furthermore, why should WE, the people who pay property tax and other taxes here, have to stay home until the tourists leave? You're clearly not from here or haven't been here long. Absolutely no sense of protecting/taking care of your fellow residents.

420722 Jul 01, 2020 01:34 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Last time this bastard did this it was supposed to be two weeks. Now it’s “at least three” which could mean several more months. Either everyone needs to to push back and say no or everyone is going to lose their business this time. What will you do? Hoping to hear back from some local businesses owners affected by this.

Sbrysa Jul 01, 2020 01:57 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Hi I own an esthetic business! So far I’ve been open half a week, I paid the whole time shut. It’s hard bc I’m super busy this week but I feel the fear starting again with the increase in cases, I feel we will be shut again soon. The next few weeks and months are crazy slow. I lost a lot of clients bc I followed the rules and some clients saw ppl that were willing to see them illegally. I’ve lost a lot of relationships that I’ve build the last 12 years bc of the pandemic. Many of my older clientele has not called, which I completely understand. I understand it all. It’s just sad. I’m sad for my business but I’m more sad for the way of life we’ve lost. I really have no idea what the future is for me and my business. I have children and I’m grappling with the fact that I may give up my career I loved to homeschool. I’m not mad, I’m just sad and when we close I could hold on for a good while but the unknown of how long makes me want to pull out so I don’t go down with the ship. When this is over, I can always restart.

Rob Jul 01, 2020 01:50 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

I would not call him a bastard and i think he's trying to do what he can in a very dynamic environment, but I do agree further closures are a bad call. He should mandate a more strict safer at home order for those who are in the high mortality zone (that data is well known). This would have the same effect of lowering hospitalizations, but with the benefits of allowing those those who want to go out to do so (most cases are not symptomatic, and we also know who is highly unlikely to need hospitalization) and those businesses who want to remain open to do so as well.

reloadSB Jul 01, 2020 02:13 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

This age group was not even being tested before. No one seems to remember 6 weeks ago when the mantra was “if your treatment is not going to change, we aren’t testing you”. THIS IS WHY THE NUMBERS ARE GOING UP. Newsom needs to pull his head out and understand what the data is saying.

Rob Jul 01, 2020 02:21 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

What I'm saying is that if you follow the data which they have been cramming down our throats since day one, it's clear who is most impacted and may end up in the hospital if they get this virus. If those people (and i don't think it is age ONLY, its a combination of factors) stay home the hospitalizations will go down while the business can remain open if they choose. I'm 55 and I go out, run, ride, walk, hike visit state street and i'm not worried. It should be my decision unless i do fall into the high mortality zone, then I totally agree with being forced to stay home.

a-1593641082 Jul 01, 2020 03:04 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Right now with all the new Covid-19 cases, the goalposts need to be moved! Duh - At least he and the Public Health Depts. are doing something where the leader of this country just tweets his white supremacy hate messages.

Talk about "coming out of the closet!" This "moron " is coming out as a full-on white power zealot. He'll probably show his dog whistle leaping base his KKK Lifetime membership card along with a photo of him a few years ago at a much different, nighttime rally. Yikes!

a-1593643310 Jul 01, 2020 03:41 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

I'm so with you Rob. I'm also 55. Bike, run, walk, visit downtown (no shopping or eating) just to see who is there and what is happening. I have zero concern for this "virus" and my health. Never had the flu and don't plant on catching anything anytime soon.

sacjon Jul 01, 2020 04:26 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

ROB - maybe you missed all the recent reports of lifelong complications in YOUNG HEALTHY people who have overcome covid? Take a look, you may reconsider you outdated position that only old and unhealthy people need to worry. This is not "the flu." This thing is literally crippling people with no pre-existing conditions. Here, I'll get you started........ "It has been very scary, especially because many of the people we treated were very young – many in their 30s and 40s, even an 18-year-old.” (https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection) ----- "...fibrosis cases show that even young people who survive the disease can have lasting complications." (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/lifelong-lung-damage-the-serious-covid-19-complication-that-can-hit-people-in-their-20s#What-is-post-COVID-fibrosis?) ----- "As all this preliminary research shows, we are still in the early days of understanding what this virus might mean for the growing number of Covid-19 survivors" (https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms).

a-1593646210 Jul 01, 2020 04:30 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

3:41 - That's nice you have "zero concern" for a virus you apparently think is a joke and have no intention on catching it. Tell you what, go take your nonsense somewhere far away from others. It's people like you spreading this thing through your sheer ignorance and refusal to consider others.

SB Barbarian Jul 01, 2020 07:04 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Good luck with that. If one were to just watch the news today, the results of that narrow, "It's all about me" are on display for the whole world to see, and they are laughing at us, and then they are crying for us. But, since you are exceptional and immune, do your thing! Live free and die!

a-1593664476 Jul 01, 2020 09:34 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

They ar only testing those presenting symptoms. That is why the "positivity" numbers are going up. Yet cases of any consequence remain extremely rare in our county of nearly one hal million people. Why is there such a dedicated misinformation campaign going on here. Who has a vested interest keeping this craziness going, based upon threats, speculation, and misguided "data". Who has what to gain, repeatedly doing this?

Luvaduck Jul 02, 2020 07:23 AM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

Please sign a waver for medical attention. It won't matter to you since you have decided not to get it and will save the community money and hospital space in case you could be wrong. Currently, you are only betting other people's health and money.

Royals_22 Jul 01, 2020 01:55 PM
Governor Orders Closure of Indoor Operations in Santa Barbara County

I don't get the hate on the gov. Look at the spanish flu, it killed over 50,000,000+ over two years and those are just estimates!!!! Compared to that virus, the first 3 months for us compared to that virus first 3 months are worse! I'm sorry you can't go to the beach, get something to eat downtown in air conditioning, or go see a movie. I'm pretty sure we all want to save lives, people need to stop being dumb about little things and stop bashing Newsom. He's trying to save as many lives in our state, if you have a better idea PLEASEEEEEEEEE do tell.....

Pages