How Are You Social Distancing? title=

By edhat staff

While we're all sheltering in place and keeping 6-feet apart due to the coronavirus pandemic, some locals are having fun with the idea. Below is a compilation of photos sent in documenting the unprecedented times we're currently experiencing.

Send in your photos to be added below to [email protected]

By an edhat reader

Social distancing at More Mesa

By James

Equine social distancing

By Whitney

How my niece is social distancing

By Steve

Social Distancing in Santa Barbara

By JoeSixPack

EdHat friends,

JoeSixPack here, I’m social distancing and I wanted to share a report from the hinterlands. Things here are fine, if quite remote… I am more socially distant than 99% of the people in the world out here in my mountain cabin.

My little house sits on a bluff about 80 feet over the Santa Ynez River, nestled in a cluster of oak trees. It has warmed up enough to leave my bedroom window open at night and listen to the river. It has been running since the rains and the frogs are going off all night in the creek bed below. In the mornings I have a whole series of birds come through. The blue herons have returned to their same annual sycamore tree to have their babies. They will be here until August. The turkeys roost in their oak tree every night and every morning at sunrise they come swooping in to land in front of my deck. It’s also mating season for them so they have some very interesting rituals they go through. The buzzards have their own sycamore tree and they just hang out high in the top watching over everything until morning, then they ride thru the river valley on the thermal air when the sun warms things up - looking for something freshly dead. Otherwise, I have a bird feeder outside my bedroom window for all of the little birds that migrate through. I had to discourage the woodpeckers and blue jays. They bully the little birds and are too disruptive.

My daily walk through my favorite trails always has squirrels and raccoons, lots more birds and sometimes deer. Then it’s back to work on my house. I have a backlog of 10 years of deferred projects that I have been working on - hardwood floors are almost complete. I plan to re-build the entry porch after that. Lots more to come...

As you can see, I’ve also got plenty of time for writing… I hope things are well with all of you and you family.  Keep in touch with those you care about...

By Mjbizwiz

Took a walk by my house and saw this in the creek bed. Let’s not lose our sense of civility as important as humor.

By an edhat reader

This was More Mesa on Saturday. People on the trail were making a social distancing effort.

By HappyCamper

"I'm so tired of social distancing!" says Felix the pup.

By Amy

I bought some yeast on eBay because apparently there is a nation wide shortage on it. I baked Sticky Buns yesterday. I will deliver them to the door steps of my neighbors.

By Karen

We're putting in a Victory Garden!

By Wendy

Here's how I ride my road bike

By Linda

Someone practicing "extreme social distancing" (Photo: Allardyce)

Signs of the Times. Heading North on the 101, Rincon and Samarkand Santa Barbara. (Photos by Patti Gutshall)

Here’s a photo from Leadbetter beach last week. A yoga class on the grass, mats about 8 feet apart. Beautiful, windy day. (Photo: Chris)

A sign for the times (Photo: Gene)

Cosmic distancing, at least on clear nights. (By Macpuzl)

Luvaduck Apr 08, 2020 09:26 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Tail-gate party picture is a great idea! Especially for extroverts. It may save their sanity.

aragorn Apr 07, 2020 12:22 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

We are in the World of the Computer Age, in the 21st. The best and safe way to socialize. Take advantage of that.

GrammaSB Apr 07, 2020 12:11 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

"However, there are signs that social distancing and other public health measures could be helping, he said. " From SB Noozhawk article from Dr. Henning Ansorg, the Public Health Officer "37 Healthcare Workers Among Santa Barbara County’s 192 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases" This is unacceptable by the top Doctor??

GrammaSB Apr 07, 2020 11:56 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

My apologies for multiple postings but this matter needs to be taken seriously. We need to protect our health care workers by not becoming a + Covid patient with active symptoms. The sacrifice we make now as a community will be better in the long run. I have had influenza in the past and let me tell you it is no joke so I certainly don't want this virus /c I may not e ale to fight it and I certainly don't want to end up on a ventilator I love my family too much.

GrammaSB Apr 07, 2020 11:27 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

It is apparent SB County/City is not taking this seriously, in my opinion just b/c there are relatively low #'s compared to other Calif communities doesn't mean it won't get worse. If local govt won't take initiative on the issue then we as individuals, who don't want to succumb to this awful virus need to take action for our own well being. Follow the LA County model, yes it's bigger than SB County but why can't our local gov't be as aggressive to keep our #'s low! How awful is it that people are dying alone NO ONE deserves that. If I can get through to at least 1 SB County resident then that's one less person saving another etc!

GrammaSB Apr 07, 2020 11:38 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Stay at home unless you work for an essential industry, no grocery stores or pharmacies for the next 2 weeks if feasible. Get out and walk but avoid socializing Yes it means finding other means to stay connected but hasn't our society een doing that anyway? Ever since texting came to e people stopped seeing and talking to each other unless it is via the phone so why all of a sudden everyone wants to congregate? Facetime, whats app etc. Only go out for necessary essentials to protect yourself and others due to this virus that shows no symptoms prior to actually manifesting itself. Read the literature on this virus there are reasons the guidelines are being put forth.

a-1590524966 Apr 07, 2020 09:56 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Please call it by the true name: Physical distancing. We are all still socializing - at a safe distance - and maybe even more so nowadays, on the internet, zooming, facetime, etc. If we call it for what it's supposed to be, people may not rebel as much and might be more conscious of keeping a PHYSICAL distance.

a-1590524966 Apr 07, 2020 10:23 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Or simply call it "distancing", that way everyone who does not comprehend the difference between "social" distancing vs "physical" distancing won't be confused.

a-1590524966 Apr 07, 2020 08:50 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Evidently the stores on State Street are practicing social distancing, too; it seems like every other one is completely emptied. I hope that means the store 'owners' have emptied to avoid break-in or theft, and not that they have quit.

GrammaSB Apr 06, 2020 08:39 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

The Louis Meza story is on Noozhawk. This is beyond going to grocery store. Natives to Calif have been taught to prep for disasters , ie- earthquake preparedness well in my thinking this virus is no different we should all have extra necessities in the event of an emergency. I have not been physically with my grandchildren since Feb they were supposed to spend spring break with and due to Pandemic it is unsure when I will be physically with my sons and grandchildren so TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY so you can all go back to fretting over TJs shopping. Those of us with older fam memmbers under our roofs have to take extra precautions factor in your own underlying health condition and what do you get mandatory social distancing when absolute outtings are called for and the other is STAYING HOME. You might think your invinsible but guess what VIRUS doesn't care. Stay safe abd healthy people follow directions so WE CAN ALL enjoy our lives again.

GrammaSB Apr 06, 2020 08:23 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Why don't you all take a deep breath and relax. Now with a clear head watch a video by a recent Corona Virus survivor by the name of Louis Meza so you can comprehend the importance of sacrificing!!

Roger Apr 06, 2020 05:50 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Some woman tried to hog the sidewalk from me the other day so I let a good one go and she got out of my way real quick.

a-1590524966 Apr 07, 2020 09:39 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

That is classic! Roger, you're my gastro hero! Sometimes, rude people need a good blast to snap them back to reality! Hahaha! Love this!

Roger Apr 06, 2020 06:31 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

A fart it was good and loud too I was actually trying to hold it back to be polite but she had it coming...

bosco Apr 06, 2020 04:20 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

People just need to apply a little common sense and scientific knowledge. Social distancing does not mean social isolation. There is nothing wrong with getting outside, going for a bike ride, or even hanging out with neighbors/friends while maintaining a 6ft distance. Please understand this is still considered a "droplet" transmitted virus. That means it does not linger in the air. You're not going to walk into a "coronavirus" cloud and get sick. It just means you should not spend long periods of time in close contact with others. Wear a mask only if you're going to be in an area with close contact to others (i.e. grocery store). Why people are running and biking with masks is beyond me. Take it seriously, but please educate yourself. People locking themselves inside their homes too paranoid to go outside is unhealthy. These unfounded fears people are developing will cause problems well after this is all over.

a-1590524966 Apr 07, 2020 12:14 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

BOSCO, that is simply not true, your post is full of bad, frankly dangerous information. Droplets DO hang in the air for at least a few seconds, and according to some reputable sources, up to a few hours. Tests of hospital air exhausts have shown positive COVID19 results! That cannot happen if droplets don't hang in the air. 6 feet will NOT prevent you from getting the virus, it only lowers the chances significantly. The 6 ft rule does not mean you can do anything and everything! It means if you absolutely need to go out, then use the 6 ft rule. We need to exercise an abundance of caution. I agree this doesn't mean lock yourself inside, but the rest of your post is not scientifically proven by any means.

Coolio Apr 07, 2020 10:21 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I'm wondering if you have less than 6 feet between people exercising on a bike path or narrow sidewalk breathing hard how safe is that?

paglinsb Apr 07, 2020 10:08 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I believe that when running, we are breathing hard and projecting our breath further than the usual "6 ft." so when passing someone etc. the mask protects others (in case we have the virus and are not aware of it because we are not showing any symptoms): "My mask protects you. Your mask protects me."

a-1590524966 Apr 06, 2020 11:16 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

RE: the droplet only theory: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-breathing-talking-enough-spread-airborne/amp

TheMole Apr 06, 2020 03:50 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I would like to know why Providence Elementary School is violating the "Shelter at Home Order" by having parents stop by their campus weekly for homework pickup and drop off. They are missing the point entirely. I almost feel like writing them asking them to stop doing this. I understand that they are a private school but it's about the safety of the community.

SBgal74 Apr 07, 2020 07:39 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

The Mole, This actually isn’t true. My child attends the school and there was only one time parents came to the school after the order and that was to retrieve our children’s books and other belongings from their classrooms due to the extended closure of the school.You may want to have a clue about you’re talking about before you start spreading false information. The school is doing an amazing job with distance learning!

Minibeast Apr 06, 2020 01:33 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

New York Governor Cuomo said it best: “'Look: people are dying, people in the health care system are exposing themselves every day to tremendous risk, walking into those emergency rooms,' he said. 'And then they have to go home to their family, and wonder if they caught the virus and they’re bringing it home to their family. If I can’t convince you to show discipline for yourself, then show discipline for other people.'”

a-1590524966 Apr 06, 2020 12:00 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I went for a bike ride through More Mesa on Saturday, and was kind of freaked out by the number of people there. Fortunately, I had my mask and wore it.

a-1590524966 Apr 06, 2020 03:29 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

3:06 - nowhere ever has anyone said we are not allowed or even discouraged from going for a bike ride. It IS ok to be out in public still and it IS ok to be upset by people being out in public and acting recklessly or in direct violation of the order.

a-1590524966 Apr 06, 2020 03:06 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Let's all go out in public in violation of everything we've been told to not do, and then be freaked out when everyone is doing the same thing as you? Is that right? Maybe head to Trader Joe's and get in line while you're at it....you could be person 65 standing along De la Vina, past the smoke shop....

Pugluvr1912 Apr 06, 2020 11:25 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Just stay home https://keyt.com/news/2020/04/06/who-to-call-if-you-see-large-gatherings-during-social-distancing-order/

hz Apr 05, 2020 12:32 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

AHB...sooo...should every one else stay away so ou can go out for your hike to the mountain? I hope you are including yourself in your post....we would all like to get out from the house too...you are not alone...lol

AHB Apr 05, 2020 12:43 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

No, I am NOT hiking (exercising at home only), just went for a drive. My comment was was referring to people not practicing social distancing. That's all.

a-1590524966 Apr 05, 2020 09:37 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I'm confused as to why edhat is showing a picture of a group exercise class as a positive thing to do, when it was literally prohibited two days ago? This is not the message we want out there!

Pugluvr1912 Apr 06, 2020 12:55 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

1242. No it should not. And they didn’t ban groups of people from the same household from doing activities.

a-1590524966 Apr 06, 2020 12:42 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

9:37am - doing yoga outdoors, on mats over 8 feet away, should be allowed. It's the contact sports and other close-proximity group activities that are the problem. Sadly, the City banned ALL "group" activities, even when from the same household. However, what these people in the photo are doing (and what many people are still doing) is NOT dangerous. Some people are getting carried away here, we can still go outside (for now at least) and until then, I will still go out and be with my family doing "group" activities. Call the police if you want, they won't do anything about things like this.

AHB Apr 05, 2020 09:25 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I drove to Figueroa Mountain yesterday to look at wildflowers (and to get out of the house) and saw that the hiking trails were packed with cars, more than I've ever seen there. We saw dozens of hikers passing each other on the narrow paths... Can't we all follow some rules and stop doing these things that put others lives in danger? This is temporary, skip your hikes for a while and find other exercise/nature options. There are endless workout videos online, wide beaches where you can easily maintain a 20' plus radius... please adapt and adjust for the sake of others and those that are most vulnerable.

a-1590524966 Apr 07, 2020 02:09 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

yet, you drove there to Figueroa yourself --- so much for the self-imposed rules for the sake of others!

a-1590524966 Apr 05, 2020 07:55 AM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Last night I had a dream that I went out to the grocery store and there were people standing right behind me in the grocery line, like people tend to do, but a lot of us were having to tell people to back off and it was uncomfortable. I think that if I do go out I'll take my umbrella with me, the long one lol, and if people get too close behind me I'll just stretch my arm out with that on the end and be like this is my space bubble.

Sagepup Apr 06, 2020 05:31 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

Thats right, people start getting to close, fake cough sends them running and holding their breath

Pugluvr1912 Apr 06, 2020 01:03 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

I stay home. I only need to say this when going to the laundry room in my building, and only use the elevator when I have laundry and I do non contact food delivery once a week and also use Freshly.

sacjon Apr 06, 2020 12:59 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

OCEANDREW - Please don't even "pretend" cough or encourage others to do so. Folks out there are so high strung right now, that's like yelling fire in a theater. If someone is in your space, do as I did in Solvang a couple weeks ago and very loudly say "Ewwww gross" and dramatically wave your arms and move out of the way. When you're a bearded giant waving your hands around, people move..... hahaha!

a-1590524966 Apr 04, 2020 03:43 PM
How Are You Social Distancing?

It's a danger to go to Trader Joe's, because of the closeness to the cashier (who is not wearing a mask).

Pages