By an edhat reader

A friend reports getting a $400 ticket for violating social distancing regulations in Los Angeles (Rowland Heights). Does anyone know how this is legal? Is there a statute or does the emergency declaration allow such ticketing?

Pugluvr1912 Mar 26, 2020 05:54 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

This is why I’m calling for reporting of violations https://www.edhat.com/news/one-person-hospitalized-as-covid-19-cases-increase-to-32

Pugluvr1912 Mar 26, 2020 04:09 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

Businesses should be warned or ticketed if they operate illegally. Los Angeles is actually shutting off water and power of businesses that illegally operate.

Kruppe Mar 26, 2020 10:19 AM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

A warning or polite intervention should suffice. Mere police presence is enough. No need to ticket and cause rancor. Mischief makers like the idiots who set off fireworks last weekend however, should cool their heels in a cell for a day or two.

mtndriver Mar 26, 2020 08:52 AM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

So the cops are supposed to ask people if they live in the same house, and if they don’t, they get a ticket? Boy, would I hate to be a cop right now! Well, anytime, really, but especially right now. Like Sacjon, I’ve been out walking in my neighborhood and there are more people out, but they’re separated, even cross the road when another person comes by. And my neighbors who go to the beach most days to walk say the same thing—people, families staying far apart from other parties. Not letting their dogs approach others either, which is usually part of the social interaction at the beach. And, on another topic, where is Flicka? Does anyone know?

a-1586396312 Mar 25, 2020 04:51 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

So it’s okay to defecate , urinate, litter and start fires on our city streets, but if they see you not social distancing it over...

sbrobert Mar 25, 2020 03:59 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

I was at the bank today and I met a guy in line who runs a landscape business. He was given a legal warning and told to shut down. How does that make sense? How much human to human interaction is involved in landscaping? And it provides work for those who can least afford to be laid off.

sbrobert Mar 25, 2020 05:16 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

I can't speak with authority on how he runs his business. But I have worked as a landscape crew member myself. And I have seen such crews working at our building. I don't ever remember seeing people working together in close proximity. If ever there was a business that involves no human contact, this is it.

sacjon Mar 25, 2020 04:10 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

SBROBERT - was he working by himself? If not, could be that it was to protect employees who might be working together in close proximity. Sucks about those getting laid off, but you're better able to provide for your family/yourself if you're alive. That's what a lot of people keep missing I think. NO job (except "essential" ones) is worth your life. That's just how we have to do things now.

SBREADER Mar 25, 2020 02:00 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

The Governor specifically stated that we can get outdoor exercise as long as we practice social distancing. Edhaters always want to be the Police. The real police just don't want you committing crimes. Be good and everything will be alright!

a-1586396312 Mar 25, 2020 01:53 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

CC says NO to tickets. Doesn't want a police state. The City Council really don't get that a portion of the people will never follow the rules if there are no consequences for them. They don't care about the consequences for the rest of us. We need to recall the City Council and the mayor. They follow. They don't lead. And the decisions they consistently make are not for the benefit of residents but for their special interest groups.

sacjon Mar 25, 2020 02:08 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

1:53 - When did the CC make that claim? Was it after yesterday's press release where Sheriff Brown said he will ticket repeat offenders?

a-1586396312 Mar 25, 2020 12:07 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

After the number of people I saw at the rose garden, west beach, and shoreline park last weekend - the authorities should start ticketing immediately.

Ahchooo Mar 25, 2020 07:59 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

Tee Gee, and everyone, please use the time of a post to identify it, not the other number. Oddly, those numbers where the handle/name goes are not consistent for all viewers. None of those numbers you reference correlate to any posts I’ve seen.

sacjon Mar 25, 2020 12:13 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

12:07 - if they were in close groups of unrelated/different household groups, then yes, ticket them. I've been out walking and going to the beach almost every day out here in Goleta and have not seen these close groups. I've seen lots of friends and neighbors who are also outdoors at a distance, and yes, even waved to them or yelled "hello," but I have yet to see people in groups like others seem to be concerned with.

sacjon Mar 25, 2020 12:01 PM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

People who are repeatedly violating the order (eg, playing team sports, partying closely at the beach, etc) should be fined. I'd be interested though, to hear what happened in this situation to result in a ticket.

tagdes Mar 25, 2020 11:55 AM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

The governor stated that the social distancing is an order...so being in a state of emergency it can be dealt with by a fine and even jail time of from 30-60 days. Don't recall for sure but I think $400 was mentioned.

LCP112233 Mar 25, 2020 10:42 AM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

Per Sheriff Brown at yesterdays 4:00 news conference, they will be taking it on a case by case basis. It would be a misdemeanor, but did not mention the cost of the ticket.

sacjon Mar 25, 2020 11:25 AM
Ticketing for Social Distancing Violations?

OP - it's possible. Sheriff Brown said he might ticket "frequent violators." What were the circumstances? I would say it's legit unless your friend was merely outdoors by himself or with family/housemates.