MIT Enterprise Forum: Building a Successful Medical Device Business
Event Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
Where: ONLINE EVENT – Zoom
- 6:00 – 7:00: Speaker/Panel Discussion
- 7:00 – 7:30: Q&A
- 7:30 – 8:00 Preciate Social/Networking
BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL MEDICAL DEVICE BUSINESS
What does it take to start & grow a successful medical device company in Santa Barbara? Speakers for this event will give participants an overview of the opportunities and challenges they have encountered in doing just that. They will share their lessons learned and successful strategies from a number of different perspectives:
|How do you turn an idea into a company? What unique advantages and risks exist because a medical device company is in Santa Barbara? How did this company maximize the advantages while minimizing the risk impact? Consider Funding, Resources, Manufacturing|
|The Thriving Business||How did the founders of this company manage the growing pains of their medical device company as it moved from the startup phase and into a thriving business? How has being located in Santa Barbara helped and what creative ideas helped the company overcome the challenges of being in Santa Barbara?|
|Serial Entrepreneur||What are the through-lines across the businesses – success factors & common risks. How do you know it’s time to sell/let go? What makes Santa Barbara a good incubator for medical device companies? What strategies proved successful in building, growing, and selling businesses here in Santa Barbara?|
|Talent Management||There are many wonderful aspects of living in Santa Barbara, but it is a small community. What are the strengths that a Medical Device Company based in Santa Barbara should leverage when trying to find the best talent? What weaknesses are there and what suggestions are there for addressing them? How do the challenges and opportunities change as a company moves from start-up to a thriving business? What are the critical elements to consider during an acquisition from a talent perspective?|
What we will look at:
- Can a successful medical device business be created in Santa Barbara?
- Can a business grow and thrive in Santa Barbara?
- What Strengths and Opportunities does Santa Barbara present?
- Weaknesses and Threats (aka Risks) does a business need to protect against?
This program will be moderated by Astrid McNellis of Terumo BCT.
- Sumita Pennathur, Professor, Mechanical Engineer, UCSB
- Alison Bauerlein, Founder, CFO & EVP Finance, Inogen
- Bree Hendrick, Co-Founder, VivaHire
- Sandi Hirsch, President & CEO, Zyris