Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

By an edhat reader

California Highway Patrol is reporting a wrong way driver on Highway 101 southbound near Refugio. They're driving northbound on the southbound side in the #1 lane. CHP responding.

Factotum Sep 15, 2019 10:05 AM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

We had a rash of these wrong way on the freeway reports back when the first "medical" marijuana shops were opening. Remember? Coincidence is not causation, of course.

a-1575937818 Sep 16, 2019 05:52 AM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

The "rash" of wrong way drivers weren't on pot, they were all drunk except 1 guy who was having a diabetic crisis. At least all the ones that got caught. Paula Lopez was drunk and on pills... A solution would be to have flashing lights and wrong way signs on the back side of offramp signs that will get attention of these drivers. Also in areas that have repeat wrong way drivers there should be those wrong way tire things that pop tires, or something. It's too frequent!

a-1575937818 Sep 15, 2019 08:56 PM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

Most pot smokers stick to the back roads, if they're smart. The thing about pot is it doesn't make you a speedy driver. If anything, you enjoy cruising at slow speed. Many many years ago, when I was a pot smoker, I was high on hashish and driving on 101. Back then, if you were on 101 in the middle of the week at around 9 p.m., there were hardly any drivers. (Hard to believe that now, I know.) So there I was, happily high, on the highway. Somewhere near Patterson Ave. I looked down at my speedometer and saw I was tearing along at about 35 mph. Sure couldn't do that now without being noticed.

oceandrew Sep 15, 2019 09:59 AM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

I'm curious about one thing... what time of day did this occur? What, where, when and why are essential parts of a story to be relevant. Why can be hard to factor but when should be critical.

a-1575937818 Sep 16, 2019 08:25 AM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

It makes a difference if it happened at 9am or 9pm, 12am or 12pm. A difference worth that changes the context of the story considerably.

a-1575937818 Sep 15, 2019 08:44 AM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

I can't handle driving on the freeway and being, it horrifies me, I have panic attacks and people judge me for my phobia but crap like this is part of WHY!

Longing2bhome Sep 15, 2019 08:19 PM
Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101

I totally agree with you. Do not want to meet someone driving towards me on the 101.