Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus title=
Update by edhat staff
April 13, 2018

The bicyclist struck by a city bus in Santa Maria last week has died from her injuries.

Veronica Zamora Perez passed away at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital on Sunday, April 8th.

"She was a very loving and caring person who always put others’ needs before her own," wrote Perez's daughter.

The family is seeking donations to help cover funeral and medical costs through a gofundme page.

Source: Santa Maria Police Department
April 2, 2018

On 4/02/18 at 5:49 PM Santa Maria Police Officers were dispatched to a major injury traffic collision at the corner of Caballero Lane and McCoy Lane in Santa Maria.

The collision involved a city bus and an adult female bicyclist. Upon investigation, the bicyclist suffered major injuries and was transported to Cottage hospital in Santa Barbara via a Cal Star helicopter. Santa Maria Police Department Traffic bureau officers are investigating the collision.

CivilEngineer Apr 16, 2018 03:45 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

Google says studies have shown that it is safer for bikes to not come to a complete stop at an intersection but to treat stop signs like a yield. The less time they spend in an intersection, the less likely they are to be hit. But that won't matter to the car people who hate people that seem to be scofflaws. Given the severity of the injuries suffered by the bikers, you'd think they would rely less on the quick reflexes of the car drivers and more on making sure it is safe to proceed.

a-1524666467 Apr 16, 2018 04:57 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

CIVILENGINEER - whether it's "safer" (not sure how that is) is irrelevant, it's still illegal. The logic is pretty weird too - less time in an intersection equals less time to be hit? By that same reasoning, the less time a bike is in the street, the safer it is, therefore, bikes should be able to ride on the sidewalks.... The bigger issue, though, is that by going through intersections, bikes put themselves at risk of being hit by a law-abiding driver proceeding into the intersection, assuming the cyclist is planning to stop. Bad idea!

Luvaduck Apr 14, 2018 07:26 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

I both drive and ride a bike. When I see cars with open doors either occupied by drivers taking the air or not occupied at all, I cringe, but some bikers do ignore lane lines and blow through stop signs and ride on the wrong side of the road. It isn't an either-or problem and is compounded by the fact that some vehicle drivers have no idea how slowly bikes are able to stop. Think about it: A bike tire contacts the road in a very narrow band. If someone turns too closely in front of a bike, it CAN'T stop in time.

hkm Apr 13, 2018 03:53 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

Has anyone see the advertisement for Cottage on the back of MTD buses? It says “Adventure on, we’re here for you” and shows a picture of a cyclist handlebars. Seems like poor taste

a-1524666467 Apr 13, 2018 03:16 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

Just 2 days ago, at a 4 way stop, I had the right of way and a bike just kept going blasted through the stop sign and I almost hit him! He didn't care at all and was on headphones. I routinely see bicyclists blast through the stop sign at Arrellaga and Chapala. So, please, no need for self righteousness, cars are bad too but frankly I don't see as many cars, if any,blasting through stop signs as I do bikes.

Flicka Apr 04, 2018 09:32 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

The roads are so wide for cars, not bikes? There were no cars when most of the roads were built, horses and buggies. My mom said she remembered when State Street was the only paved road in SB.

a-1524666467 Apr 04, 2018 09:52 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

FLICKA - yes, I know the first dirt roads were not originally built for modern day automobiles, but they WERE built for large vehicles (buggies, carriages, etc) and then re-built / upgraded for cars. Also, all "modern" roads in our city, state, country, the world for that matter, were actually built for cars. I mean come on... ..

a-1524666467 Apr 03, 2018 10:05 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

As if cars don't act like they own the road. Bikes take up so little space, but drivers in big vehicles doing little more than sitting and moving a foot back and forth, their arms a bit, are indignant that bikes are hogging the road? Get real, be grateful cyclists aren't making more traffic jams like drivers do. And: how many car drivers get into major injury or fatal accidents--as if this were an issue cyclists are at fault for? Blame the victim why don't you.

a-1524666467 Apr 03, 2018 11:35 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

I think that we should pray and send healing thoughts to the bike rider. Even careless bike riders will lose when hit by a bus! Do the circumstances influence whether or not you guys have a heart? Or do you think that one mistake should result in the death of someone's mother/sister/daughter?

a-1524666467 Apr 03, 2018 09:41 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

Surprised this doesn't happen more often. Cyclists ask to share the road but they expect to own the road.

a-1524666467 Apr 03, 2018 09:50 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

Ok, well let's not jump to any conclusions yet, OK? Sounds serious if she was air lifted. Also, as much as I can't stand cyclists who break the law, buses are notoriously reckless and don't seem to care at all about their surroundings.

Fitness1 Apr 03, 2018 02:51 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

PS- despite all this, I was STILL hit by a car, even though I was on the shoulder. The car had to swerve over the white line to hit me. Broken bones, loss of work, etc. Guy just took off.

Fitness1 Apr 03, 2018 02:49 PM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

I stop at EVERY stop sign, and red light! EVERY time! Full stop at signs, and wait for the light to turn green at lights. I also ride way over to the right of the white line, and never side by side. Single file only if I'm with someone. I'm the same as a vehicle when on my bike, and obey all traffic laws the same as when I'm driving. I honestly don't understand some of my fellow riders who seem to be come different people when they are riding as opposed to driving.

a-1524666467 Apr 03, 2018 09:35 AM
Woman Dies After Being Hit by City Bus

As possible as that is, it is equally possible that the bus (road hogs that they are) pulled out in front of her from Caballero Lane as she was riding on McCoy. I've had buses pull into traffic in front of me without even looking.