By an edhat reader

Around 1:30 today apparently mentally ill transient wailing his arms while running into the CVS parking lot attacked a woman from behind who was walking from her car to the store. (We had just exited the lot.) A man waiting at the bus stop immediately ran to her rescue as we flagged down a police car who was waiting across the street in the alley on other business. We left the scene but it appears a second police car arrived moments later to meet up with the first and diverted his/her attention to the incident under way. That's all I know with any certainty and hope the poor woman is ok. What are the chances you will read about this anywhere else? About zero.

Luvaduck Jul 13, 2018 04:24 PM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Air conditioning is a great idea assuming I don't have to pay the electric bill and there aren't any brown out because the grid is over-taxed during our new climate-changed hotter weather. Where do I sign up?

a-1537620678 Jul 13, 2018 02:21 PM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Roger, check out FACTOTUM's upper State street info. Motels converted to section 8 would have air conditioning. You need A.C. now, and enough heat in winter. First floor, of course.

mm1970 Jul 13, 2018 02:57 PM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

I haven't let it go, and most people I know have not either. Still owned by the same awful person. Does a tiger shed its stripes?

ginger1 Jul 13, 2018 01:30 PM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Nothing about this on Noozhawk or KEYT. Guess it didn't happen. Too scary to let the public know that our little town has such violence. Do you ever wonder how commonplace this is?

Luvaduck Jul 13, 2018 09:33 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

I, too, have noticed that the homeless/pseudo-transients (not leaving any time soon)/crazies/vagrants/hobos/bums/poor deserving souls/underserved residents are moving north from the downtown area to previously civilized areas San Roque to Goleta. I spot at least 3 crawling out of the bushes and creek beds, or pushing/biking their belongings to a commercial area every morning. This problem is like the air in the balloon, push down in one spot expand in another. Our mild climate and the presence of well-meaning bleeding hearts encourages migration here. If caring people donated to organizations that vet & serve this population, it would go a long way to helping the legitimately needy and not making panhandling profitable.

a-1537620678 Jul 15, 2018 08:09 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Try and keep up. Lack of housing is a problem all over the U S. It became drastically worse when Reagan slashed federal funding and has gotten only worse with every Republican administration (as they always manage to crash the economy in one way or another).

a-1537620678 Jul 15, 2018 06:27 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

"Previously civilized"??? Are we now uncivilized?! Yes I live a few blocks off upper State and have for over 50 years. It's still pretty darn civilized here. Yes, I patronize businesses in Loreto Plaza and on State across from MacKenzie Park. I even give food and water to some homeless occasionally. I also disagreed with the placement of BevMo. But I and my neighborhood and neighbors are not uncivilized, nor do we think our neighborhood is! I'm sure you can find some people to agree with you, though...

a-1537620678 Jul 13, 2018 06:39 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Roger, so the reports on the scanner by the SBPD have become PC? Keep up the reporting, Roger, and maybe we Edhatters can fill in the necessary information as this posting eye-witness (thank you Edhat reader) did. Who, exactly, guides what the SBPD chief does? In other words, who is running the show?

Roger Jul 13, 2018 06:22 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Was that the guy who was disturbing yelling but then was down on the ground 2980 State street? that was all I heard over the scanner for that area...Thank You for sharing what really happened...

Factotum Jul 12, 2018 09:57 PM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Business not so good downtown anylonger, so the street transient crowd moved into new territory. This has been noticed in the Upper State Street area for some time. Sandwiched now between two new pot shops (Derf's and Bicycle Bob's), expect the Upper State area to get worse.

a-1537620678 Jul 15, 2018 06:17 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

I can only find one location for Bicycle Bob's, on Kellogg. Are you thinking of VeloPro on Hitchcock? Or a closed location of B Bob's?

a-1537620678 Jul 15, 2018 06:13 AM
Woman attacked at CVS on Calle Laureles

Wha?! There ARE no pot shops - yet. Yes, the old Video Shop next to Derf's received approval. And how can anything be "sandwiched" when the figurative bread slices are so many blocks apart?! 3516 State received approval, as did 128 W. Mission Street (next to Derf's on Mission) and 1019 Chapala Street, across the street from the MTD Transit Center. You're blaming pot shops before they exist?! What do you think of LIQUOR STORES???